Late Season Breeding

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TuffyLynn

Reaction score
Hi all... just another question i thought i would put out there for opinions

have a mare that foaled in june and missed july heat.
default_unsure.png
.what about breeding now for a july baby?

I live in massachusetts and yes it can and does get cold.. have a good barn ...obviously it gets cold

but have windows ...doors...ventilation...but no wind or drafts really

appreciate your time and opinions

smiles
default_biggrin.png
Lynn

Not sure why you mention about it being cold in connection with late breeding?

We are in Southwestern Ontario and while I prefer the April and May foals, we are still seeing if the mares who foaled in April and May will get bred back.

For some reason this year, the mares with foals at side are not cycling. The stallions are still with them in the daytime and I am not seeing them being bred.

If they do, we will be having three July babies.

It has been a cooler than normal summer, so maybe that's what's going on.

thanks for the reply!! the reason i mention cold is the later the foal the younger and smaller when weaning......just thought the older and more "meat" on their bones the easier ...just a thought... i dont know
default_wacko.png

and yes i agree... her cycle seems way off to me... but a am new to breeding so wasnt sure..

smiles
default_biggrin.png
Lynn

Last edited by a moderator:
We had a Nov foal last year he was a accidental foal (long story lol) but I loved it and if and when I breed again I will be breeding in Oct- Nov for late fall babies. I figure this way the foals are on their dams during winter and will not be to young to handle the cold and I do not have to worry as much about them drinking enough and by the time they are ready for weaning weather will be getting warm They will miss the whole fly season as well as of course viruses are usually less numerous in the winter. Wont work for everyone of course it depends on where you live and your facilities

I'm breeding a mare at the moment...we don't get so cold, but if you want rain, just bring your own bucket and come and get it....we had 60mm of the stuff last night and my bottom field have DUCKS on them (and NO horses!!!)

Anyway, I would not worry, I always wean my late foals early (does that make sense??) because the goodness has gone from the grass the mare's milk has little in it, so they are usually off by 31/2 to 4 months, which means a foal sired now, and born in July 2010, could be weaned in Sept- Oct, which is before the winter really sets in, I should think??

Bred my mare 2 years ago for a August baby last year. I'm in Connecticut so I have the same weather as you. That baby did just fine. She grew the thickest coat out of everyone.

I'm breeding one of mine right now as she was bred in April one month after foaling and did not cycle until now (four months later). I thought she was pregnant, but I guess not. I'm taking her to get ultrasounded just in case but pretty certain I'll be looking at a late summer baby. I see no problem there.

HEY,

WE HAD A MARE FOAL IN AUG ONE YEAR. THE FOAL DID GREAT, THE ONLY THING WAS THE POOR MARE WAS SO BIG AND HOT DURING THE AUG MONTH THAT WORRIED ME.

A knew a lady back in Michigan who had an late summer / early fall foal, I believe August maybe September. Anyway, she weaned the foal at 4 months, it did have a buddy but she noticed that the foal wasn't drinking as much as it should have, figuring that was do to the water being so cold (4 months would make it December / January). I would suggest if you are going to have late foals and wean at 4 months, make sure you have a heated water bucket for your foals to ensure they continue to drink throughout the winter.

Latest posts

Back