Lasik

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonya

Reaction score
Anyone who has ever considered this but hasn't done it yet for whatever reason....you HAVE to do it...it is so worth it...there was no pain, just some discomfort (pressure) during the procedure...which was a total of about 4 minutes an eye (that's prep time and everything)! It can be nerve racking if you don't like your eyes being touched (I hate that), but still is so worth it. They will even give you a valium before the procedure to relax you....I didn't take one.

It has been less than 24 hrs and I am now 20/20...I still have some halos around bright lights which will dimish in a couple days, but other than that, it's great! I've been wearing glasses/contacts since I was 12 (now 38) and what a relief to not have to reach for your glasses in the morning. I so look forward to this summer...swimming, etc...without the hassle of glasses and contacts. The price varies from place to place and person to person...mine was only $2700. Seems like alot but you add up the cost of my prescrip glasses/sunglasses and contacts and you'd reach that amount in less than 5 years. There are also places that offer financing for it...capital one does...it's like a loan, not a credit card and the interest isn't bad at all.

Now if only my collarbone wasn't split in two and hurting like crazy I'd be one happy chick!

Thats great news!!! Yep...hubby had it done last year and wondered why he waited so long.

hubby had it done last year and wondered why he waited so long.
I thought the same thing this morning...why in the heck did I wait so long to get this! I kept putting it off for one reason or another...I think because I was scared...I hate anyone touching my eyeballs...I even have a hard time doing it myself, but it wasn't bad at all...just a few minutes of panic...and wallla...20/20 vision!

I sooo want to have this done.......my sister and brother had it done and are very happy.....guess I need to save up and see about it, I would so love not having to have contacts or glasses!!!!
default_yes.gif

I wear contacts and wish I didn't have to. Quite a hassle. I always thought the Lasik would hurt. I thought they use lazers and burn the back of your eyes. BTW how expensive is it?

My sister had hers done two weeks ago and was 20/10 the next day. She's ecstatic! And I'm jealous!

I always thought the Lasik would hurt. I thought they use lazers and burn the back of your eyes. BTW how expensive is it?
It does not hurt at all. First they give you a pill to relax you if you want it, then they put drops in your eyes that numb your eyes. 10 mins go by....they lay you down and put tape on both of your lids in the open position (it is dark in the room)...they put a clamp around your eye to hold it open (there is a patch on the other eye)...then they put something around your eye and tell you that you'll feel pressure (and you do, but it doesn't hurt, just weird feeling...kinda uncomfortable...no pain)...they will tell you to look at a light and to not blink (this is hard, but if I did it anyone can)...the dr will slice (you don't see what's coming at you...you'll see something but can't make it out) your outer cornea and peel it back (about 10 seconds)...then the laser will start, it makes a noise like a welding machine and smells like something burning ( I know...gross) but there is no pain at all..you just feel the pressure, the laser takes about 2 mins...then the dr puts the "flap" back in place...then you just sit for two minutes to let the flap adhere...walla done...they remove the clamp and tape and do the other eye. 4 minutes on each eye roughley.

cost varies depending on where you are at and how bad your eyes are...if you have thin corneas, you may require the lasek with the "e"...that is about $1000 more because of the advanced equipment. Most people do not need the lasek with the "e".

Not eveyone qualifies for the procedure, you have to have a couple tests to see if you even qualify...you can have a stigmatism (I did in both eyes)...my whole thing cost $2700 for both eyes...that includes 2 pre-exams, the procedure, all meds (but two - they were $30 insurance copays), and 2 follow up exams.

There is no pain afterwards at all...I was blurry for a few hours, but I slept most of that away. My eyes feel tired today and a slight burn occasionally, but no pain. I should of done this years ago!

wanted to add:

dr said that my sight will improve in the next couple days even more...he expects me to be way better than 20/20 by my next appt which is Wednesday.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so jealous!

I was gonna have it down a couple yrs ago, had the exams and they measured my cornea and said I could do it. So I took off a thursday and Fri from work, drove 2 hours to St. Louis to have it done, they measured my cornea and said it WASNT thick enough!! I have bad vision and have worn glasses for 28 yrs and contacts for 25 yrs..

I jsut stood there and cried!! I was so disappointed after getting up my nerve and all..

I told them it wasnt a good practice to say it was possible then change. The 1st person who measured my cornea here in Columbia should have done it correctly and knew I couldnt have the surgery.

They got my hopes so UP !! and then to come crashing down..

So enjoy your great sight Sonya. I am happy for everyone that CAN have it done- just wish I was one of you...

Wow, that's great! I figure with my complicated astigmatism and myopia I can afford to wait a few more years while they continue to perfect the technology and a few more studies get done on the long-term effects and risks. But I tell you, someday I'm going to get it! I've been just this side of legally blind my entire life and the idea of clear vision is amazing.

Please keep us up to date on how your recovery goes!

Leia

I work for the largest General Ophthalmologist group in Dallas. We used to do lasik until a few years ago. I had mine done 9 years ago. It is the most awesome thing in the world. If anyone is considering having this done... do not hesitate!!!!! If you are close to age 40, ask your doctor about monovision lasik results (one eye for distance, one eye for near). I would have mine redone tomorrow if needed. It really is a life changing experience.

Sonya... glad to hear your procedure went well. Really use those artificial tears as much as you need, every 15 minutes if needed. You will notice each day that you will use them less.

If you are close to age 40, ask your doctor about monovision lasik results (one eye for distance, one eye for near).
Is this for people that use bifocals? I have thought about Lasik too, but I was told I would still need reading glasses. (I have bi-focals) Are you saying they can now do these surgeries to fix both, so I would not need ANY glasses? How successful is this monovision lasik? How much of an increase in price to go this route vs the regular lasik surgery?

Sonya, congratulations on your successful surgery! It sounds so gross, my stomach was turning just thinkng about the pressure, the sound and the smells! UGH! But I guess 4 minutes of that would be worth it to get good vision again!
default_yes.gif

Is this for people that use bifocals? I have thought about Lasik too, but I was told I would still need reading glasses. (I have bi-focals) Are you saying they can now do these surgeries to fix both,
yes, Mona...they will fix one eye for up close and one eye for far away...each eye will compensate for each other so with both eyes together you will be 20/20...no glasses! I could not do this though...in my field, I have to be 20/20 seperately in each eye, so both my eyes where lasered for distance. I will probably need reading glasses in a couple years, but that's ok with me.

I was gonna have it down a couple yrs ago, had the exams and they measured my cornea and said I could do it.
So sorry Basketmiss...they do have procedures out now that if you have thin corneas you can still have it done...it is lasek with an "e". They do not slice your cornea as much and you wear contacts over the eye until it is healed. It takes a little longer to heal (don't understand why), but there is also less risks with the lasek (flap issues), it is a little more expensive though.

People don't realize how long they've been doing laser correction. They've really come along way and can do amazing things.

Wow Sonya, that is so great! I asked my eye doctor about it this summer but he said I would still need reading glasses so I sort of just forgot about it and got some new glasses to wear when my contacts aren't in. And then I have my $20. WalMart reading glasses to put on over my contacts when I want to read something.
default_wink.png

Where did you go to have it done? (I'm up here in Freeland about 6 miles from MBS).

Shelley

I had it done several years ago because I was a contact lense abuser and thought it was wonderful.
default_wub.png
One thing to remember is that your eyes will still go through the normal changes take place as the years pass. Past time for me to have it done again.....or start wearing glasses or contacts.

Oh I might add .... I only had one eye done. Had been only wearing 1 contact for several months (had to leave one out because of a slight infection). Only wearing 1 worked so well for me I just never put the second one back in. Then when I checked into the surgery they said I was a perfect candidate for only having 1 done since I was used to mono vision. The only difference it (the mono vision) made for me was in my depth perception.

Edited to add that now I've gone back and read the 2nd page and find that others have already mentioned it. But I had already just added that lil tidbit of info for those who might be considering it but cringed at the cost of having both eyes done.

I had cataract surgery done on Wednesday....

I had cataracts caused by some medications I had to

take when I was in my early 30's.....I will have to have

the other side done soon....

I don't know if anyone watches the Today show but on

Tuesday there was a segment done on a new eye surgery

being done........probably could be look up on their website.

I am extremely freaky about any kind of procedure so I didn't

watch the surgery itself, because of mine coming up the next day

and I was already tuned up like a fine watch.

I did watch the part after the man came out of the surgery....he

had worn both contacts and eye glasses for most of his life.....

Right out of surgery he could see with both eyes....you could tell

he was overjoyed.... They implanted lenses in both his eyes in

a new type of surgery....

Technology is fabulous and only continues

to improve.

I know I am so happy with my 'fixed' eye....I am seeing things I haven't

seen in years....am reading all the billboards and street signs, probably

obnoxious as heck. LOL I'll need reading glasses but that's fine with me.

What a gift it is - another function we really take for granted.

Sonya

Just wondering how many times you have gone to "take your glasses off" I did that for awhile after I had mine done.

If you are at an age to have cataracts developing, then you would not be a good candidate for Lasik. While a cataract is forming, it constantly changes your vision. So, if you had Lasik while you are forming cataracts, your vision will still continue to change. BUT..... the great news is, the implants that are being used for cataract surgery are great now. Our doctors use the NEW CRYSTALENS, not the older version. It has the ability to "flex" in the eye, which gives you distance and near vision. I am really wanting to have this done since I am 42 and using readers now. But my doc won't do it since I don't have cataracts, the surgery is too invasive for him to do for a cosmetic reason. And I really do respect his decision on this. Gee, for once in my life, I wish I had a medical problem!!!!! LOL

Code:
Just wondering how many times you have gone to "take your glasses off" I did that for awhile after I had mine done.
oh ya, been doing that. And when I get up the morning after I get dressed (it's dark in my room when I get up), I fumble on my night stand for my glasses. It's almost like I feel naked without them...like when you forget your watch or ring that you always wear everyday.

One thing to remember is that your eyes will still go through the normal changes take place as the years pass.
My Dr. said that my eyes will not change...except for my close up vision since I didn't have the monovision. He says my distance vision should not deteriate. Hope he's right!

You're such a trooper! You're so brave!

I've been wearing glasses now for over ten years and hate them. I wanted this done so bad but I'm a horrible weenie.

How in the world did you manage to lay there in all your pain and get lasiks is beyond me. You must have nerves of steel. I'd be scared to death. I even give the eye dr fits when I go for my eye exams because I duck and freak and jump around soon as he comes near me with that thing that touches your eyeballs. Just the thought of what is going on would have me sent over the edge in a big way. They'd have to knock me out or something.

I sure am happy for you and also hope you get well soon.

Back