Lacey and I have a driving lesson with Lori

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

studiowvw

Reaction score
Went down to visit Lacey a couple of weeks ago and Lori gave us a lesson.

Once we both relaxed we did became a better team.

At first she couldn't figure out why I wasn't doing it right
default_smile.png

At the end, Lori drove her for a few minutes.

Finally found some time to edit it down and here is a link to the video if anyone would like to see how we are doing.

My link

After riding in Lori's Ozark cart, I decided I would get one as it seems to ride quite nicely. Decided not to cut down the Shetland size cart as a friend of mine is getting a pony that it would fit.

Next I'm going to start saving up for a Pacific Smart Cart.

It's been so long since I did driving as a teenager that you might as well say I am totally green. Yes, I know "green on green makes black and blue" but Lori has given her a good foundation.

I have a lot more confidence about it now, and Lori has been very helpful.

I'm going to pick Lacey up next week and am looking forward to getting some driving miles in.

Once we got on the same page, it sure was fun!

I have a friend who is a very experienced driver (she has Canadians), so I'll have help in the neighbourhood.

Wilma

Looks good to me - you are both learning and still looks very positive. You must be pleased with her.

Yes, I know "green on green makes black and blue" but Lori has given her a good foundation.
Yes, but the difference is that you went out and got reliable, knowledgable help instead of trying to do it yourself!
default_yes.gif

She is looking good......takes time but sooooo worth it......

I am really excited for Wilma and Lacey! Lacey is a lovely, lovely little mare and Wilma has made great strides from her first lesson to this, her second one. Lacey was a bit on the fresh side when she first came out that day (it was windy and cool after having been warm) and Wilma handled her like a pro! I think they are going to get along VERY well together. I am sure going to miss the wee girl - she has been fun to drive! She was arguing with me a bit at the end there because Wilma drives her with a bit less contact (western hands
default_biggrin.png
) but she had worked pretty hard so the second she gave to me at all I let her quit. I wish you could have seen the entire lesson and the change in Wilma with Lacey from start to finish but I was not prepared to video when I need to concentrate and keep them together
default_biggrin.png
I'm very proud of you Wilma - great job!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
She is a really pretty mare and I look forward to hearing and seeing you two develop as a team. Congrats to you and to Lori for giving Lacey a great start.

Angie

Lori, I'm glad you didn't video the rodeo stuff at the beginning, haha!

It was great to work through it though, because it gave me more confidence.

The spooking and running she did at first is nowhere near as challenging as riding my arab through his spooks - when he was young, it was very, very "interesting"
default_smile.png

I did love the feeling of sitting up in the seat as if it were a saddle - I think leaning on the backrest transfers every bump to the reins, so I felt like our contact suddenly became alive. Before that I felt she was being very defensive as she was getting too many jolts in the mouth.

Thanks for the good comments.

My aim is to do carriage driving and eventually combined driving, although if my business does well this summer, I'll send her back to Lori for some showing.

You guys look great. Lori is a great trainer and teacher. Garnet and I have become quite attached to Lacey. She is such a sweetheart! We might not let you take her home.
default_biggrin.png
We sure will miss her. You have to promise to bring her back sometime, definitely try and show her this year. It is fun too. Congrats though on your progress, can't wait to hear about your carriage driving success.

Sorry I didn't get to meet you when I was visiting!

Yes, Lacey is a cutie. Not sure about showing - just want to become a better driver and keep her feeling happy about it.

It is a dream come true to finally have my driving pony and a good harness and cart
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back