Labor?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaintNminis

Reaction score
I might just be overly worried I admit that.

Everyone left me home alone lol I wouldn't go because I wanted to be here in case she should decide to foal

Since she is acting weird.

My Mare "Sapphire" is at day 334 Today

Well She has been Acted Normal all day today but at 7:10 pm I noticed things that aren't too normal

She is Sweaty and her Breathing is coming in Shallow Pants, Gums are Pink and there is red Discharge Coming out of her Vulva
default_new_shocked.gif

She hasn't Rolled, and She doesn't look like she is colicking. I am thinking maybe She is getting ready to have the baby?????

What do all of you think?

Thanks in Advance

She is also on marestare

http://www.marestare.com/fcam.php?alias=desertrealm

Sounds like it could be labor. What's her udder like? I'll try to watch for awhile.

Not all mares wax. In fact, most miniatures don't! If udder is hard, tight, with the nipples spread apart and firm, then she is probably ready to foal. Have you expressed any milk from her? If it's thick and sticky, then I wouldn't take my eyes off of her.

I would guess it is early labor, although mine usually don't break a sweat until they are within an hour of foaling.

I'll watch her for a bit. I'm not too sure about the red discharge
default_unsure.png
Is it bright red (blood)?

The way she's flipping her tail around, I'm going to vote she's in labor.
default_yes.gif
At 334 days she's plenty far enough along to be giving birth any time.

Are you getting nervous yet?
default_smile.png

I'm sure that all will be fine. I'll keep an eye on her too. Good luck!

Thanks Everyone, I appreciate you all taking the Time to Reply.

Yes I am very Nervous
default_ohnoes.jpg
lol

I have been Reading my Foaling Book,

So I think I am ready, even though when I think she is getting ready to lay down my Eyes go like this (
default_new_shocked.gif
) lol

I think the Discharge is her mucus Plug?

Sounds like she'll foal soon!

You were right in staying with her!
default_yes.gif

If you see her yawn........

That's a sign, as well as what I call "flapping & tapping"

(tail & hind feet)
default_smile.png

Good luck!
default_aktion033.gif

Sounds like she'll foal soon!

You were right in staying with her!
default_yes.gif

If you see her yawn........

That's a sign, as well as what I call "flapping & tapping"

(tail & hind feet)
default_smile.png

Good luck!
default_aktion033.gif

"Flapping and tapping", I love it!
default_biggrin.png

She's been doing that, but only intermittently. She'd better hurry up so I can see though, I've got to get to bed soon! Good luck!

Thanks Everyone
default_smile.png

still no foal yet
default_no.gif

but Hopefully Soon
default_impatient.jpg

Last Year she couldn't wait and foaled at day 309 this year we are currently at day 335 and Counting Where's the Consistency lol! Obviously Somebody didn't get the Memo
default_poke.gif

After reading your post that she hasn't foaled yet, I am a little concerned.

My only reasoning is that you said she foaled at 309 days last year, and that she was panting and sweating yesterday, was it from the heat, or was it the entire sweaty chest and neck thing "going on". You also said the bag was very hard, was the milk pale, clear or white and sticky?

My only concern is that there is something else going on with the baby.

First I am not a vet, second I am not there, so there is no way I can fully interpret the signs your mare is or isn't displaying, depending on the amount of sweat and distress she showed yesterday combined with what stage her milk is at as well as how lax her back end and vulva are or aren't, if I thought she seemed to progress then stop,..... If it were my horse I may be inclined to either have the vet stop by or drive her to the clinic for a looking over, if for nothing else, just peace of mind.

If I were in doubt about the mares progression, I wouldn't hesitate to call the vet.

I am watching from here ... its 7 :18 pm our time 11 am yours. she is just eating her hay , I will keep an eye on her for the next few hours

Last edited:
Hi again,

I have been watching for a few hours...Its now 3 20 pm your time (i think) ...and I just have to tell you that , the woman in the stall right now is so sweet. I dont know if your the owner or just a friend , but I really like how you are rubbing your horse. I never see that on mare stare , maybe I just miss it , but its sure nice to see. you can see that the mare is saying "OH that feels soooo good ! " I sort of feel like a peeping tom on theses mare stares , but seeing the love and care that you are lavishing on that mare makes me think that your horses know what it feels like to be loved and pampared. I think thats really great , and it made my evening. Its 11:30 pm here , and I am still at work, but you just made my night !
wub.gif
I dont know who you are but I think your just awsome for rubbing your mares back. Its really nice to see this .

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back