Kitten Kneeding

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadowsmystictopaz

Reaction score
I have a very amazeing younge kitten named Timmy. HE has lived with us since we was 2 weeks old. We took him in to foster since his mom was wild. He has a little issue that I meed help with. At night when i am trying to fall asleep he likes to kneed me. I cant sleep because he is pokeing and clawing me so much. I have tried holding his hands still folding them making him jump down from the bed slap his paws and I havent gotten anywhere. I love him dearly but since he was old enough to sleep with me he has been doing this. I eventually have to get up and put him outside my room and close the door. My cat tilly absulutly hates closed doors so she starts meowing and then I have more trouble going back to sleep because I hear her meowing at the door wanting in. What should I do about this? I feel bad making him leave the room. I also feel bad for tilly feeling all locked out and having a hissy fit. Any help would be appreciated.

Andrea

put another blanket on the bed. we have 8 cats and 4 of them we bottle fed, so they think we are their parents, so they kneed, but as they have gotten older, it has become less n less. you just have to get used to it. You do not ever want to get them declawed. but be patient for now and find a pad or another blanket to cover your kitties kneeding area of your body. good luck

Yes, just put a folded blanket, sheet or whatever between you and kitty--he will knead the blanket and you will be protected from his claws. I have cats that will do the same thing & I just pull an extra blanket up over me so the claws don't get through. Some of my cats also drool when they get cuddled up and start kneading that way so the blanket also keeps me dry!!

yeah, forgot about the drooling. ha ha ha ha ha thats a whole different story. do not have any advice on that one except to change your shirt.

We have dealt with both the kneeding AND the drooling........ Both are in response to feeling loving and wanting to be loved. And both are instinctive responses that go back to nursing on their mom and feeling protected.

In a funny way it's telling you that they are feeling safe, loved, and protected with you.
default_wub.png

Feel complimented - this is natural and shows acceptance and you are a good mommy. Everyone made good suggestions. And they still do it when they get older, but less.

With ours we say "OUCH!" and move them when they use claws. They can learn not to use the claws, although sometimes when they get going they need to be reminded. If he can't use to not learn his claws, use a towel or pad.

Kneeding is a sign of great affection, so punishing/rejecting him for it is kind of like putting a toddler in time out for wanting a hug.

My Tally, from the first day I brought her home as a kitten, wanted to sleep on my neck. Draped over my neck like a scarf. It was very, very disconcerting but she was persistent and kept coming back no matter how many times I pushed her off me. I learned to live with it, honestly, and now I'm quite used to her snuggling up and purring (it's like white noise, LOL) Never a kneeder (I've never seen her do it, actually) but a big cuddle who has to be everywhere I am, all the time.
default_wub.png
Fortunatly she only weighs about 6lbs.
default_wink.png

My cat Taz will be 2 years old in April. I bottle fed him, and he still has a habit of sucking on a blanket while kneading. He'll soak a blanket, he does it so much. I guess he's just a big baby that doesn't want to give up nursing.
default_rolleyes.gif

Ugh I hate when they make happy feet. Every night one of our cats sleeps with me and the herd of dogs. (the other 2 sleep with Raven) and she has to sit on my stomach and do happy feet for at least 10 minutes till she finally decides it is enough and goes to sleep OMG it makes me crazy lol

Latest posts

Back