Kindle Owners ?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgrminis

Reaction score
Do any of you have the Kindle Fire? If so I would like some feedback on it and even what you think of it compared to the original Kindle....

I borrowed my mom's original Kindle (the keyboard one with no touchscreen) to see if I would like it for reading as I read alot. I do like it and was going to order one but then I saw the ads for the Kindle Fire and I think it looks like something I would like even more as it can get online and search sites and check e-mail if I understand it right.... But in some of the reviews I read it sounds like the Fire is harder to read books on because of the color screen...

Thank you!

I have the original kindle, my friend has the Nook color, which I assume to be like the Kindle Fire. I find the screen on the Kindle MUCH easier to read by. I do just fine with out color pictures, as I do not have magazines on it. But, with her Nook she can read in the dark without an extra light.Outside in the sun the kindle is better.My thoughts would be, if you want to just read, the original Kindle (or probably the Nook reader) have the best screens, easy on the eyes. But, if you want more versatility then the fire would be a combination Kindle and inexpensive tablet. Not sure how they all compare in size. I do know the Nook color is thicker then my Kindle.

I originally bought the Kindle keyboard, LOVE it. I got a lighted cover for it so I can read in low-light situations or the dark. Then I saw the Kindle Fire for a great price and my husband said he'd take the first Kindle off my hands so I got the Kindle Fire but I haven't really used it yet as I'm trying to finish reading the books I had downloaded to the first Kindle. I thought I'd prefer the Kindle Fire for reading magazines but from what I've seen so far, with very little of looking into it I must admit, but the magazines I HAVE looked into require one to purchase the physical magazines in order to be able to get them on the Kindle. Well, then what's the point? Maybe there are many that you don't have to do that, but I've not been impressed so far. Also, the Kindle Fire does NOT have 3G, it is wireless internet capable only. If you don't have wireless internet, I'd say don't even bother. I DO like the color screen, but since I haven't read any books on it yet, only looked around on it so far, I can't say if I prefer one over the other. Decisions decisions huh?

If you are interested in a tab the same size as a kindle with 3G, I recommend the Samsung galaxy tab. It has the kindle app and you can go online. I love mine. With the data package through Verizon you can get the tab for $200, data package will cost you a min of $30 month.

Well I would mainly like it to read which is why I wanted to get it in the first place -- I love the fact that I can download a book and be able to read within minutes versus ordering one and waiting for it to arrive in the mail or actually having to drive to town - 30 min away to go to the book store and try and find a book so I can read it. I also figured this would help me to not run out of space in my house as I already have quite a few books and their are some books I will still want to OWN the actual book of but there are alot of books I would be ok with just the ebook....

But the appeal to the Kindle Fire was that I would also be able to check e-mail and browse online - such as lil beginnings of course
default_smile.png
I do have a wireless router in my house so that would be no problem for me as long as I was at home.

That is strange about the magazine - if you had the actual magazine already you wouldnt need to read it as an emagazine - strange... But good to know
default_smile.png

I want to be happy with whichever one I get for sure...

Last edited by a moderator:
I would also recommend considering a true tablet vs. the Kindle Fire. You can get the Kindle app for the andriod tablets, and tablets are so versatile. I have a Toshiba Thrive and LOVE it.Honestly, I can just about forget my laptop with either the tablet or my iPhone
default_yes.gif
And my iPhone reads to me every day (audio books).

I would also recommend considering a true tablet vs. the Kindle Fire. You can get the Kindle app for the andriod tablets, and tablets are so versatile. I have a Toshiba Thrive and LOVE it.Honestly, I can just about forget my laptop with either the tablet or my iPhone
default_yes.gif
And my iPhone reads to me every day (audio books).
I hadn't even considered a tablet so I guess I will have to look into it and see what I think about them. I thought the Ipad looked pretty neat when it came out but I didn't think I would use it enough to justify the price tag on it
default_smile.png

One thing I don't like about the iPad is the size, I wanted something I could throw in my purse and not even know it was there. Mine is the same size as a kindle with all the options of an iPad (android system) I have an iPhone which has basically the same applications of an iPad and personally I like the android system better. But if you don't get the data package the min for the tab is $299 at target direct. The kindle app on ot is awesome.

I Just bought a kindle fire tonight. THere is a great deal, it is 199 free 2 day shipping, and if you pay with a master card enter 3TLRXE3N and get ten dollars off. The deal ends tonight or tomorrow, can't remember.

santa brought me one. Will let you know what I think when I have time to figure it out.

Santa also brought me a kindle fire so I guess I will also get to play with it and figure it out -- thank you call for sharing your input
default_smile.png

Those of you that have the kindle fire.. do you have some sort of case to put it in for carrying and protection? Just curious. Most of the choices cost about 1/4 the price of the kindle itself. Seems kind of silly...

Santa only brought me the fire, not a cover...

ps...I have now turned it on and registered it and it is fully charged... that is as far as I got tonight.
default_smile.png

Check out eBay! I bet they will have some options that are a lot less expensive based on what I've gotten from my iPhone and tablet
default_yes.gif

I was going to say the same thing as Jill, you can get covers/chargers/etc for electronics at 1/4 of the price or less on ebay. I always buy my xtra chargers on ebay (I have 2 houses, I put one at work, one in my rv, one in the boat, etc). I bought 10 iphone chargers on ebay for $12 free shipping. Just one through verizon was that much.

okay... my feedback on the kindle is that of the two I got, one is really neat, and the other is a piece of poo. When you read the feedback about slow screen response and the negative reviews.. that is what I am experiencing with one of the two kindles that santa brought. The other one is really neat and responsive. You tap, touch and get nada on one of them, the other is working as expected. One of mine is getting shipped back to Amazon ASAP for a full refund.

The other I am keeping (for now) but if it starts to act like the other one... it is going back too and I am buying something else, cheers folks
default_saludando.gif
wish me luck!
default_no.gif
bummer when something new out of the box doesn't work

I got my kindle fire on November 17th. I absoluely love it. I have read 37 books (all free) since. I can do that, I'm retired. LOL!! All I do is adjust the brightness of the screen. So I have no problem with the screen at all. I have nothing to compare it with as I've never had any other one. But I sure do like mine. I did join Amazon Prime membership for $79.00 a year but for me it is well worth it. You get so many good deals. I bought a Kodak wireless printer for 59.00 and a laminator for 16.00. I just can't say enough good about it. Love, love, love it. Have I mentioned I absolutely love it. You can also borrow books from the library if yours is in the system. Mine is but I haven't used it yet, there are so many free ones on amazon. I like mystery, cops, detectives, lawyer, anything to do with solving cases. Enough said. I love mine.

I have had my day of "play time" with my Kindle fire that works well and it is a really cool item. IMHO there are duds out there and the bad reviews on the kindle fire are from people that got a dud like I did. My dud is dull and slow and horrible screen response to touch and very very frustrating. The other one is completely the opposite, very responsive, perfect touch screen, very fast and a very cool toy for the price. I had a 50/50 chance of opening the bad one first. Had I opened the bad one first, I would have sent back both to Amazon. I opened the good one and thought it was so cool, I opened the second one to get it started for my husband and was horrified. Side by side you would never believe these items are the same. They perform completely differently. I may buy a second one in the future, but for now, we will enjoy the one, and not push our luck by having a replacement sent, we are going for the refund. For those of you that are disappointed in your kindle fire, I encourage you to return it or get a replacement. If you get one like my "good kindle" you will not be disappointed. The display is remarkably clear and I have only just tapped the beginning of what this toy can do. take care and hope this feedback helps you all.
default_aktion033.gif

I have the original Kindle and I absolutely LOVE it! I have read over 1000 books on it! My suggestion is to download any of the free books and games you find on amazon.com if they dont seem like you would like them you can always delete them! The only complaint I have had with my Kindle is apparently the first one I got had a defect and half the screen froze up! I was right in the middle of a book too! called them they sent me a new one. and it happened again!!! called them back, they sent me another one and so far it has not done it. Just wanted to give my input on my kindle experience.. even with the defective ones i have had they sent me a new one very quickly and I am still very happy with it.

Latest posts

Back