Kimberwicks

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracerace

Reaction score
We have a wonderful 41" pony for my just turned-8 year old daughter. He's been a great boy, but lately she has become very timid and he sort of has her figured out. She is afraid to yank on his mouth - thats a good thing...but even when she's in trouble and I say, "pull him to the right" she won't. So, he just goes where he pleases and she starts crying and gets off. And so the pattern is established (smart little begger).

He was trained using a western grazing bit...he's not a pony that runs off ("canter and gallop are not his choice for gaits)...but we ride English so I just have a full cheek snaffle on him. He just doesn't respond to HER at all in it (unless he is following...then he just puts his head down and follows). I am not heavy so I have rode him a time or two to see if it's the bit, and he does fine with me. He also ground drives nicely for me. It's just my daughter- she just doesn't want to fight with him.

Would a kimberwick with a low portbe helpful inthis situation? I have had it pounded into my head that a stronger bit is never the answer. But I am saddened that if we don't get some confidence in my daughter she will not ride him, and being that she may outgrow him in a year or two, we'll just waste him. He's a wonderful little guy on the ground...she can do anything with him and she's very confident if she isn't riding. She really wants to ride - it just ends in disappointment everytime. Oh - he does fine on a lungline lesson as well...but she really wants to move up to riding him in the arena all on her own.

Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you considered a kimberwicke with a jointed mouth? I used one with great success on my mustang mare years ago. She had gotten a little heavy in the full cheek and the kimberwicke did help to lighten her up a bit.

Do you have them doing any gymnastics (serpentines, trail courses-just lines laid out with or cones)? That might help her have an idea WHERE exactly they are trying to go and give her a little more confidence. Are you working on her with her lower leg and using it to support and push her pony over? It's hard to learn, but it will help her build a strong foundation.

Thanks Laura. I have gone over the basics but she honestly isn't that interested in anything that goes against her ponies wishes. :no:

Well, before I had a chance to make a decision aboutthe bit, she dropped a bomb on me:

"Mom. I don't think riding is my, um.... thing".

So I am just waiting for now - to see if she wants to ride her pony. She wants to drive, thats a little problem, since this pony doesn't drive. I guess I'll teach him and go from there. I adore this pony so hopefully he'll take to driving so I have an excuse to keep him.

I always opted to ride in a pelham.. I really got so used to riding in double reins that it doesnt feel right without it.

She might just need a bit more time to get some more confidence to ride her pony is driving an option?

I always opted to ride in a pelham.. I really got so used to riding in double reins that it doesnt feel right without it.

She might just need a bit more time to get some more confidence to ride her pony is driving an option?
Driving is an option....he just needs some training. I've ground droiven him but never hooked him up. I think double reins is a bit much for her at this point.

But she had a breakthrough yesterday....sort of~~

Today she got some new Cowgirl Kate books and rushed right out to the barn to show them to Remmy. I was starting to clean and I knew she was out with him but I almost cried when I saw her sitting on the tire, reading the story out loud ~~~

JocreadingtoRemmy51407_edited-1.jpg

After she read both books to him she brought him in the barn to groom him. As I cleaned I never said a word. Eventually she was sitting on him and brushing his mane...then she was turned backward, laying on his rump. Then I heard her in the tack room and see her carrying her saddle out.

"I just want to see him wearing it again"

Then she went and got her helmet, and soon enough, she was sitting on him in the saddle. Then, she tied a lead line onto his halter and pretended to ride him, like a kid on one of those quarter machines at the grocery store.

Then she got off, and took him in his stall...hopped on and rode him around in circles. Still, I never said a word. I let her ride and bump the walls and talk to him and figure it all out on her own. She took him out, un-tacked him and told me he needed to be cooled down...and traipsed off to the wash area and gave him a bath and put him back in the paddock and laughed at him while he rolled in the mud.

I've never seen her more content with that pony.

She said it was a great day. We even were so caught up that we forgot about Brownies...we were supposed to go miniature golfing and we totally forgot. She said it was ok.

default_smile.png

Who knows where this will take us....oh, and just so you know - I edited the fence out of the picture...that fat pony IS on a dry lot ;). He's actually lost weight if you can believe that!

You know, even if your daughter doesn't ride again, she has a pretty special friend in that pony! That is a great picture.

I rode Shetlands as a child and I remember going through exactly the same thing! Dang ponies wouldn't listen and as I recall the type of bit made no difference! I didn't have a horsey mom out there with me every step of the way, so our solution probably wasn't ideal. We kinda rode like that for awhile... and then I figured it out and the ponies started listening to me. Since I was two years older then my sister, I was able to work with her pony when she started misbehaving, but her pony always tested her too (it was really fun when when her pony took a sharp right down this little trail at a canter every time we passed it. Linda learned how to HANG ON, bareback though!)

As far as training, have you considered doing some arena work where your daughter is steering, but you are "helping"? When my son first started riding, I would say okay, now turn right and I would be next to them... as he started to signal the horse, I would move and of course the horse would want to follow me. He quickly gained confidence in using his legs and reins to signal and the horse did really obey him - but I was helping things along.

Thanks for that walk down memory lane Sheryl ;). I remeber those turns! And stops too. I also remember the long walk back home from the pasture after I was dumped. lol

I think I am going to just follow her lead. I did happen to order the kimberwick the day she told me she doesn't want to ride (it's not here yet)..but I am simply going to work with him on driving, and if she wants to ride, I'll ask her what she wants to do. If she wants help or advice, I'll help and advise. If she doesn't, I'll keep my mouth shut. I managed somehow without having a horsey mom to help too (how did we survive?).

But I'm going to have to just follow her lead......sort of like training a horse I guess. I'll see what works, and back off if I don't think she can take it.

Latest posts

Back