Killing weeds in horse patures

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shari - you mentioned the smell that tansy has.... add the bad taste to that - and it is extremely unpalatable to horses. I helped rescue two QH mares last year - thin and starving in a lot full of nothing but tansy... and they had not touched it. Tests confirmed that later. Even a starving horse turned it down! As I said - the dry/dead leaves and plants are far more palatable and are where most of the danger is. Of course - there may be some peculiar horse out there who fancies the foul smell and bitter taste... there is always an exception to every "rule" - and so the tansy wars rage on.

For those who do not know - the young plants start out looking fairly innocuous - and then turn into poofy-looking "mounds" - the taller stalks come later.

Shari - you mentioned the smell that tansy has.... add the bad taste to that - and it is extremely unpalatable to horses. I helped rescue two QH mares last year - thin and starving in a lot full of nothing but tansy... and they had not touched it. Tests confirmed that later. Even a starving horse turned it down! As I said - the dry/dead leaves and plants are far more palatable and are where most of the danger is. Of course - there may be some peculiar horse out there who fancies the foul smell and bitter taste... there is always an exception to every "rule" - and so the tansy wars rage on.

For those who do not know - the young plants start out looking fairly innocuous - and then turn into poofy-looking "mounds" - the taller stalks come later.
Be that as it may. I know 4 horses, personally over the years that have eaten and died from Tansy posioning and yes each time the Vets confirmed it.

So again...do not assume that a horse will not eat toxic plants of any kind.

Better be safe that sorry.

Shari,

Did you know that Columbia County uses the Tansy worm to control the weed? They also used another worm/caterpillar or whatever that is controlling scotch broom.

With vinegar, I've found the regular table vinegar, used full-strength, to do a good enough job that I've yet to use the stronger concentrations. Be aware that some of these are considered hazardous materials. They also kill all the flora/fauna bio-life where sprayed, so you won't have anything growing where you spray the greater strengths.

Unlike RoundUp and other systemic poisons, vinegar remains active in the soil. My sister sprayed the weeds in her driveway and noticed browning in her boxwood hedge.

I've used a spray bottle to apply it, but I plan to use a tank sprayer when tackling our hillside. I just bought a big jug of white vinegar, but other than getting a large amount cheaply, I don't think the type vinegar matters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yes, knew about Columbia county...few other counties use them too.... you can buy the Tansy Catapillers online...have a catalogue around here some where where they have bugs that eat and kill many toxic plants.

Kitsap county did not have a program for such stuff when we first moved there from NH. But they do now..gave them one of our extra catalogues all those years ago. :bgrin

I just pulled a baby tansy up this morning. First outing I have had in awhile. DS helped work on some of my perinnels..spotted the evil thing.

Was a mjor problem up north..not so much of one here. Keep a pretty good eye out. Though the last few months have been all but impossible to check.

The Vinegar can change the ph of the soil if used too often and a lot. But it will break down over time and soil will return to normal. Even with this..still much better because if you did the same thing with roundup..instead of just a bit of burn..you would really loose the whole plant.

I use a nice pressure sprayer and only spray each weed. Yes..takes more time but less likely to get things I do not want to die.

Of course I do not have the gardens here like I did at the old place..so I do not have to be as careful. Tons more land though so more weeds. Sigh ~~

This is still the least toxic way to kill weeds....other than hand pulling. Much safer for horses and pets of all kinds.

Latest posts

Back