kill buyers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm really sensitive when it comes to this subject so im going to keep in short.

Do we send dogs and cats off to slaughter to ship out to other countries ...?

No because we feel they are pets. But there are so many dogs out there starving and suffering, broken legs ext.

IMO all Kill Buyers want to do is make money ..i've talked to many firsthand and i have heard there opinion, its all about money ..most are pretty open and will tell you 'its all about bringing in the money'.

When we find a dog out there on the streets, its fixed up and found a home ..if only it was that easy with horses.

Leeana

I love people that do pick up puppies and give them a home..But who is going to be responsible for taking in over 80,000 horses Each And every Year?? There is only a few people now that take in rescues and most of them are filled up and will not take in more.. Horses in those number cost Mega Dollars to Feed and Mega dollars for the upkeep.. Many people say No I can't feed another one, so looking at this Huge Big Picture then Who is going to do this? Who is going to save 80K+ of unwanted, unloved, and some untrained?

With the amount of people available to adopt horses Those people can't even Keep Up with the few 1,000s of wild mustangs a year that come up for adoption, I ask an very ethical question here If not you then Who is going to get these horses?

Start at the beginning and Stop the Over breeding of Horses and then there will be no need for slaughter houses to be open.....

I for one loath kill buyers!! :nono: I personally witnessed at an auction in Springboro Ohio a kill buyer trying his best to outbid this young girl who was trying to buy the most georgous Belgium mare. Little did he know that the people around this little sweetheart told her to keep bidding until he stopped that we would cover the difference.
default_yes.gif
: Come to find out she had enough on her own to buy this horse of her dreams, and outbid the scoundrel on her own... :aktion033:

Never has it been said that two wrongs make a right. just because people eat pigs and cows doesn't make it right to eat horses.

I don't eat pork because of the very fact that pigs are so intelligent. My neighbor's pig used to follow me around like a dog and would come when you called and would roll over and play fetch. And I have never eaten veal and or lamb.

Give me a break. It's all about MONEY.

[SIZE=18pt]People who send their horses to slaughter auction make me want to retch[/SIZE]

Click Mini said it all :aktion033:

It's only a necessary evil because we all make it that way. Everyone contributes to the necessity of it in their own ways. So while I DON'T think it's the most wonderful thing since sliced bread, like some do, it's all we seem to have for the moment. I'd love to see other options but as long as people are selfish and greedy it's unlikely to ever end. There are just as many people overbreeding and considering animals nothing but disposable garbage as there are people who want to see and help make a difference, probably many more of the former than I ever realized before.

However those who do want to do any tiny thing to go against the majority to affect change are viewed as fools and attacked for too many reasons to mention. As they say, "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished and I'm sure the original poster learned that lesson in spades here. All I can think is no wonder people won't get involved anymore since all it means is being attacked by the same old tired mean-spirited rhetoric everytime. :no:

And for the record I don't think slaughter is good for the horse market because it only proves we can't even take care of what we have now.
Well Said!! I agree it is only necessary evil because we allow it and make it that way. Breeding of so many horses needs to be cut back and slaughter will be cut back also. And there wouldnt be as much unwanted pets. But I guess easier said than done. :no:

If your interested, here is a link to the Kill Buyer i talked with (and hopefully never have to agian, he is really not someone you want to talk with, not because he is a horse buyer ..he is just not someone i think many get along with) ..its an interview,

He runs the biggest Kill auction around these parts. The auction is held every friday and he gets about 150+ horses every friday.

He is very honest about the business ..

Just thought it would be something you would like to read.

http://www.clevescene.com/issues/2005-05-04/news/news2.html

Just thought you would be interested in it.

Leeana

Last edited by a moderator:
Never has it been said that two wrongs make a right. just because people eat pigs and cows doesn't make it right to eat horses.

I don't eat pork because of the very fact that pigs are so intelligent. My neighbor's pig used to follow me around like a dog and would come when you called and would roll over and play fetch. And I have never eaten veal and or lamb.
Amen - I am a vegetarian. I try to speak for those who can't speak for themselves!!

in being born, we are made one promise in life, and that is that in having life we will surely some day we will die.

this is not only true for humans but every living creature on, in, or above the world. horses that are sent to be killed are reciving their promise that life gave them. Thats all I have to say.

-Storm

OK I really really tried to stay away.......

It is quite simple if you breed you create a need for "killers"...it is that simple...so if you are on the soap box yet have bred your horse ever you are responsible.......

Personally here with a pet pig we eat very little pork not to mention I have never tolerated it very well....

I am not that old yet as a child we ate horsemeat.......

I was vegetarian until I got pregnant and was told in no uncertain terms to go back to meat........

I raise sheep...I sell lamb and yes I eat lamb.....my sheep have never known a day of hunger or a stockyard or harsh treatment...for the first time I did take some to the sale and that was far harder to stomach than the ones delivered from my farm to the slaughter house.....the reason was because I had no idea what conditions they were going to before meeting their demise......

Although I have met a nice cow or two for the most part I cannot stand the creatures BUT I agree they deserve humane and fair treatment prior to death which should be quick and painless....

The reason horse has become so unpalatable in the states is due in very large part to organizations like PETA...until they came along it was not something for dinner table conversation but it was accepted in a more general sense that horses are also food for many.....thank you PETA for one more lovely contribution to hysteria with no real solution
default_frusty.gif
:
default_frusty.gif
:
default_frusty.gif
:

thanks yall, i have been trying to stop horse slaughter for a while!!!!i was on horsetopia horse forum today people were complaining about tighter killing laws .they were saying that they couldnt get good prices for there horses any more :no: i thought well somebody dosent have good horses !!!!!!anyway i yell at them for a while. then i start in on the part of my family that doesnt like horses :no: :new_shocked: ( i didnt know it was possible)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:no: While every one of us have different opinions and ideas on this subject, I do belive that the fact remains, that RIGHT NOW under the current circumstances, there is no way to stop horse slaughter. In the future, maybe but I'm not counting on it.

There is such an overpopulation of horses, and take a look around. MANY farms are foaling out 20+ horses a year, not to mention those huge operations that have hundreds. Are they taking full responsibility for each and every life they produce? Sorry, but in most cases, no.

Can we really get this point across to every horse producing farm in the country? Will they even care? Yes we can make a commitment to do our part in taking full responsibility for our animals, but that is still going to be a very small percentage.

and What right does anyone have to say that a cow's treatment doesnt matter compared to a horses? Cows too are often treated cruelly, starved sick and lame, yet why do we not hear of activists against this???

Wouldnt it be nice if there were millions of acres of retirement farms for unwanted horses? and vets and farriers and feeders and muckers and dentists etc to take care of them without being paid? because who exactly will pay for this?

If anyone has this solution, please enlighten us. Those that are so anti-slaughter, can you please give me something that we can start working on now? I dont think anyone here WANTS to see thousands of horses sent to slaughter houses. But what exactly SHOULD be done here??

It seems like we are just running in circles. myself included so i will stop here. :no: :no:

Ashley

Well for a start lets shut down the PMU farms..Those 20,000 mares producing that many babies every year is a very good start.. To start forcing the medical area to stop the production of Premarin and either going to the synthetic ones available or finding an alternative sustance...It has cut back some form 30,000 to 20,000 or is it 25,000 horses involved in Premerin production....

That along would really make a dent in the Over Production of many of the horses....Start some kind of GELDING Incentive programs IN EVERY BREED including minis~!! And MAYBE it is time to do dome thinking on maybe only maiden mare classes oh something I am not sure.... But stopping horse slaughter IMO will only lead to more horses just being kept at home starving mishandled mistreated badly because they are not loved in the first place...IMO it is a better thing for an animal to be at least out of its misery then living in a world of pain and lack of care.....And as far as the big horse breeders I believe that the gelding incentive would be a big help, now as far as race horses, I am not sure of what to do there, and need some ideas...But In the Mean time instead of stopping slaughtering get More strict and stringent laws about how to transport how to house and how to process these animals in a humane way..And there are some cattle slaughter places that do this in a humane and ethical way..and here is a link to who is doing this and how humanely a slaughter place can be..

http://www.certifiedhumane.com/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:

If anyone has this solution, please enlighten us. Those that are so anti-slaughter, can you please give me something that we can start working on now? I dont think anyone here WANTS to see thousands of horses sent to slaughter houses. But what exactly SHOULD be done here??

It seems like we are just running in circles. myself included so i will stop here. :no: :no:

Ashley
Ashley It's rare anyone would even ask the question you have. I think we can only do what we can starting with personal responsibility. Horse slaughter IS declining even though the numbers each year are still massive but that tells me that at least some people are making a difference no matter how slight.

Everyone's choices can be different but for me it is unconscienable to breed any species. Before I really thought about this I bred dogs and horses but now I see the results of my and others pasts in the eyes of every unwanted animal. I see the adorable pups and kittens on posts and I can only be heartsick for their futures and the futures of their offspring. I will not patronize businesses that contribute to this misery either and refuse to spend my hard earned dollars at pet shops that sell animals to just anyone off the street.

I have taught my children and they now teach their own that animals are NOT to be disposed of when they are no longer convenient. They and I keep our pets for their entire lives, we give them proper health care, good food and do our level best to ensure their safety and comfort. We do not overwhelm ourselves with pets we cannot take care of adequately and treat them with respect and dignity. None are ever slapped around or made to fear yet they are respectful of their handlers. If and when I have enough property you can bet your boots there will be room at the inn for a retired horse or two, or as many as I can manage within my means.

Those little things done a thousand times over by thousands of people do make big differences. It's all about the little things people do that add up to the huge whole and yes if enough follow their consciences the misery WILL deline. It may never end totally but ya know, I really don't mind going to bed every night knowing I was able to do at least one tiny thing about it. I'll settle for a little something as opposed to a big nothing anytime.

OK we cannot police other countries...most of the PMU farms are in CANADA and they have suffered and many have been shut down....due to people being informed with just where that PILL came from.....

the only effective way to stop slaughter is to reduce demand which means STOP BREEDING plain and simple....we cannot have our cake and eat it too....did ya notice how up in arms people got about the national ID thing....aghhh infringe on their rights to do whatever they want breed as many of whatever they want...track the results of their breeding......oiy......somebody is going to have to give up their rights to stop slaughter plain and simple......so who wants to go first?

Well for a start lets shut down the PMU farms..Those 20,000 mares producing that many babies every year is a very good start.. To start forcing the medical area to stop the production of Premarin and either going to the synthetic ones available or finding an alternative sustance...It has cut back some form 30,000 to 20,000 or is it 25,000 horses involved in Premerin production....

That along would really make a dent in the Over Production of many of the horses....Start some kind of GELDING Incentive programs IN EVERY BREED including minis~!! And MAYBE it is time to do dome thinking on maybe only maiden mare classes oh something I am not sure.... But stopping horse slaughter IMO will only lead to more horses just being kept at home starving mishandled mistreated badly because they are not loved in the first place...IMO it is a better thing for an animal to be at least out of its misery then living in a world of pain and lack of care.....And as far as the big horse breeders I believe that the gelding incentive would be a big help, now as far as race horses, I am not sure of what to do there, and need some ideas...But In the Mean time instead of stopping slaughtering get More strict and stringent laws about how to transport how to house and how to process these animals in a humane way..And there are some cattle slaughter places that do this in a humane and ethical way..and here is a link to who is doing this and how humanely a slaughter place can be..

http://www.certifiedhumane.com/index.html

All I know for sure,is that this is a Way Bigger picture and way more complicated then just shutting down the slaughter places of which there is only 3 in the first place~!

Shirley,

If only everyone thought the way you did then we would already have the problem solved.

I, myself, have never really understood breeding unless you want more animals. Why people breed every year only to advertise every year - " must reduce prices to make room in the barn for the new foals" is a mystery to me. Makes no sense to at all.

I have had every dog and cat I have ever owned spayed or neutered before they were 7 months old.

Why does everyone think that slaughter is the alternative to homes for all of these unwanted animals??? Which would you prefer...getting an injection and going to sleep? Or being slammed into a feedlot to wait until all the drugs/wormers clear their system, with all kinds of other horses biting, kicking...so scared, confused. I have been to a feedlot, I have rescued horses. I have managed a no-kill animal shelter. I have two PMU babies here. I KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT HERE. It is NOT the only alternative, a humane death is euthanasia.

I will not argue the point about other species. I don't agree with the transport and handling of those, either. But let's start with the ones who give each and every one of us daily pleasure and love, our horses.

Latest posts

Back