kill buyers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:saludando: Horse slaughter has been discussed in length to the point of personal attacks in another topic started just a couple days ago that has since been closed. As I've posted before I DO believe horse slaughter is a "necessary evil" although the cruel way it is done and why it continues in mass needs to be changed.

I also agree with the 2 previous posters, we need tighter trucking regulations., and tighter control AT the USDA plants to insure humane treatment of the animals..

ok quick show of hands who thinks horse slaughter is good for the horse market?
no, it's not good for the horse market, but I agree with the above posters who say it is a necessary evil.

It's only a necessary evil because we all make it that way. Everyone contributes to the necessity of it in their own ways. So while I DON'T think it's the most wonderful thing since sliced bread, like some do, it's all we seem to have for the moment. I'd love to see other options but as long as people are selfish and greedy it's unlikely to ever end. There are just as many people overbreeding and considering animals nothing but disposable garbage as there are people who want to see and help make a difference, probably many more of the former than I ever realized before.

However those who do want to do any tiny thing to go against the majority to affect change are viewed as fools and attacked for too many reasons to mention. As they say, "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished and I'm sure the original poster learned that lesson in spades here. All I can think is no wonder people won't get involved anymore since all it means is being attacked by the same old tired mean-spirited rhetoric everytime. :no:

And for the record I don't think slaughter is good for the horse market because it only proves we can't even take care of what we have now.

Last edited:
i just want to give one opinion here on why americans dont eat horses. I posted this a couple years ago and was flamed for it but hey its my opinion.

Americans dont eat horses because here they are held in high regard. They settled this country and defended this country. They saved soldiers lives (and yes occassionally they had to eat their horses to stay alive but thats a whole different thing) When this country was being formed your horse was your lifeline. If your horse got sick etc you were in a heap of trouble as your transportation, communication etc was gone.

There is imo a HUGE difference between eating a horse and eating a cow. Yes we had to have cows also when this country was being settled but the horse was different. I never heard of a cow going into battle. If you read about the military horses from back then they had complete bonds with their riders. They had to be trained to literally head straight into battle without turning away. Even then it was considered a huge disgrace to eat a horse unless you were dying and had no other option.

Is horse slaughter a neccessary evil? Yes. Can we make it better? Yes.

Kay, :aktion033: :aktion033: I agree!

Horse slaughter is not going to be stopped right now, its impossible. But we do have the power to change things. The rules and regulations NEED to be our main focus right now, and humane treatment of the horses is somehting that we CAN work on!

Realistically, yea people overbreed. If it can reproduce, humans seem to have a fetish with causing it to do so. This is really pretty sad if you think about it. Why can't we just enjoy our animals, and if they are honestly a specimen that deserves its genes to be shared, and theres more than the owners opinion on that, then breed it. but you #*$( better well take responsibility for the life you created.

JMHO.

Ashley

NONONO AND FURTHERMORE NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If a horse has no useful or pain-free life, it should be humanely euthanized!!! Period! End of story! Not lining it's pitiful excuse of an owner with a few last dollars wrung from it's hide.

People who send their horses to slaughter auction make me want to retch. :new_2gunsfiring_v1:

I am not sure horse slaughter is necessary but enthanasia of "unwanted" animals is.

I eat beef, lamb, duck, chicken etc BUT would never consider eating horse meat.

All animals deserve to be treated humanely BUT horses have so many uses other than to be eaten :no:

If no one ate beef or drank milk anymore cows would soon cease to exist.

I realise all these "excess" animals cannot be homed but do we need to slaughter them. IMO it is rewarding the irresponsible owner/breeder, they are receiving apyment for dumping their responsibility on someone else
default_wacko.png
:
default_wacko.png
:
default_wacko.png
:

As it is hundreds of thousands of dogs and cats end up in shelters and are euthanised, IMAGINE how these numbers would soar if people could get paid to dump off their discarded pet
default_wacko.png
:
default_wacko.png
:
default_wacko.png
:

IMO it is of no benefit to the horse that humans can over breed/ over use/ starve/beat and generally abuse a horse and then bring it to the local auction and get paid to dump it with someone who can sell it for meat.

MANY of the horses ending up heading for slaughter have been someones pet, IMAGINE the outcry if the same #'s of dogs/cats as horses were being shipped for human consumption :eek: :eek: :eek:

Yes, right now horse slaughter is necessary BUT there is so much room for improvement.

Personally, I think it is disgusting that someone can enjoy their horse and take all the benefits from the animal and then send it to slaughter to make a final few $$. It would never be OK with me for any pet living with me to be slaughtered for it's meat. All my animals/pets deserve to RIP after they die.

Of course, this is JMHO
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
: and I do not have an answer for the problem so I do not think horse slaughter shoudl cease in this country until some other suitable plan has been formed. I would be the first to say this would be a real challenge to come up with a suitable alternative
default_sad.png
default_sad.png

For now I feel all I can do is be a responsible pet owner for all four legged friends that live here and that are produced here!!

We unfortunately cannot stop horse slaughter, but like someone else said you can make a difference by insisting that animals (horse, and others) all be treated humanely prior to slughter. That's what we should be working on - fair and humane treatment of all animals bound to slaughter, right now that's all I can see we can do. We can make a difference on this! I wish there was a better solution. And remember, we all love horses here, but to some people and to other countries horses are no different than cows, pigs, chickens - which many of us eat. We need to insist that laws are intact and inforced on humane treatment to all.

No , it is in no way good for the horse market, but it is still necessary.

Humane treatment of ALL animals, whilst being transported to, kept for, and during destruction is the way forward.

The British Empire (on which the sun never set) was built from the back of a horse (Oh and a few Mules, the odd Elephant etc)

It could not have been done without them.

In the hey day of the Horse we sort of cornered the market in the battle area.

Remember the charge of the Light Brigade, Waterloo, (NOT the ABBA song) , WW1, Mafeking, the NorthWest Frontier??

All from the back of the horse.

Yet, for some reason eating horse, although not done in England,( and if you saw the price of Beef you might seriously wonder why) does not cause the huge reaction that it does in the States. When people last blockaded the ports to stop live exports, it was calves we were stopping being trucked across to France in their hundreds to be raised in conditions there that were illegal here.

Do you eat Veal?????

We have a place in our Minis passports where we can have stamped "Not for Human Consumption"

This is automatically so stamped unless you specifically ask for it not to be done, by the registrar.

Not much, but it is a start.

Actually, we could stop horse slaughter and I think eventually, it will be stopped. I do not think it is a "necessary evil" as some say. Its harder to change something then it is to ignore it. Look at history. Slavery is a good example. Many people felt that slavery was horrible but it took some strong, moral people to stand up and fight against it. Lots of these people lost everything for their stand but they believed it was right. The majority of people that thought it was wrong just looked the other way, saying it couldn't be changed.

ok quick show of hands who thinks horse slaughter is good for the horse market?
i THINK what is really not good for the market is the over production of horses, and yes I am a part of that and am seriously re thinking my goals and such. However even producing 5 foals a year puts out tons of extra minis then are needed- so to me the buck really needs to stop at the breeder be it considered pet, show, or hobby or business. even one less horse per farm would make an impact

this includes very responsible breeders as well since once a horse leaves your farm even to the best of homes even if you offer to take it back should the need arrive, very few of us despite good intentions can keep track of a horse for 20+ years.

Last edited:
I dont agree its necessary either!! Can humans not be satisfied with the huge amount of flesh they already consume ie: cows, sheep, ostrich, duck, chicken and on and on..... I agree horses who are suffering need to be humanely destroyed, and here in Ireland if a horse dies on your property it is collected (which the owner has to pay for) to be used in the animal feed and glue industry. My biggest problem is like many of you tho in the way these poor animals are kept. So I no longer eat anything that isnt free range, killed locally and even then only now and again......there are so many options nowadays I really think its wrong to eat horses.....they are far too intelligent. :no:

"I really think its wrong to eat horses.....they are far too intelligent."

Pigs are incredibly intelligent. So it's said are chickens. Calves are adorable and cows are sacred to many. Oxen were used by thousands along side of horses pulling wagons and machinery to settle this country. Okay, so they weren't exactly ridden into battle but why is it that horses are suddenly so far removed from any other critter in the stockyard?
default_wacko.png
: If someone somewhere wants to eat horse, why not so long as it's treated humanely beforehand? Do you have any idea what a veal calf goes through to get to our fine dining establishments here in America? Or does that calf not matter so much because it's not as "intelligent" as your horse? Have you ever been passed by a semiload of CHICKENS stacked on top of eachother in filthy wire crates... it's sick. I'll say it again: Stop the Abuse, not the slaughter.

Last edited by a moderator:
For years Americans Did eat horse meat.. Just a few years back in 1986 it was still on the menu of some of the finest restaurants in New York City.. Even one episode of All In The Family Edith served Horse Meat for supper~!! And Archie, of course did not know it but loved the sweeter taste then beef.. i myself have eaten it many years ago when I was young and Grandma made i.. So Americans Have eaten Horse meat and who knows some may still if doing there own butchering etc..

"

I really think its wrong to eat horses.....they are far too intelligent."
Pigs are incredibly intelligent. So it's said are chickens. Calves are adorable and cows are sacred to many. Oxen were used by thousands along side of horses pulling wagons and machinery to settle this country. Okay, so they weren't exactly ridden into battle but why is it that horses are suddenly so far removed from any other critter in the stockyard?

envypoodles...you are so right. I know this might make some mad, but my chickens are far smarter than my horses and I had a cow that was way more loyal than any horse I ever had. Still I love horse, which I consider pets and not food, and I wish there was another solution, if someone comes up with one, please enlighten the world. I still stand by that what we can change is laws and conditions for slaughter bound animals, all animals.

Latest posts

Back