Kathryn! (Anoki)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shelley

Reaction score
Kathryn, this was posted tonight on one of my dog lists....please keep your eyes and

ears open at those shows.....

Sounds like the "darned" PETA people are at it again?.....

"Heads up for exhibitors....

Suzie just called from the Franklin, TN 4 day circuit to file this report: PETA was on the grounds today -- mostly taking pictures of dogs in crates ("animal cruelty") and causing a scene. After lunch an attempted theft of a GSD created a lock down of the building. An announcement was made on the loudspeaker just before groups that the State Troopers were called in and would be helping in "security" for the handlers and their dogs! As of then only one door guarded by law enforcement and watched by club members remains open to come in or go out. Handlers got their friends/assistants to watch their set ups while they were in the ring showing in the groups.

Now Franklin, Tennesse is only about 4 hours from Louisville, and the consensus of opinion was that this was a "dress rehersal" for the big event. Anyone planning on taking dogs, bring padlocks for your crates and use the buddy system. Introduce yourself to people set up around you if you are crated in the building, and take turns watching the dogs. Rumors are circulating that this could end up going back to the national level like it did several years ago when handlers started carrying baseball bats! Please think twice before leaving your dogs unattended at any show."

Just be careful, ok? and GOOD LUCK tomorrow!!!!

Shelley

[SIZE=14pt]edited because i got to thinking my questions might create friction. sorry, i will
default_shutup.gif
: now. Nikki
[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Nikki- PETA doesn't believe in animal ownership (for any reason--pets, meat, clothing, public display, etc.). Members stealing, releasing and/or euthanizing animals kept in captivity is one way of getting their point across. It's basically a terrorist group of animal rights activists gone terribly wrong.

[SIZE=14pt]Mininik, i am glad you saw my post before i deleted it, i get it now
default_wacko.png
: , thank you for the answers. i never knew they were against ownership. Nikki
[/SIZE]

unfreakin' real.... :new_shocked: I just DARE them to try to take my horses and pets away from me..

:nono: :no: :new_2gunsfiring_v1: :new_2gunsfiring_v1:

Take care, Kathryn!

Suzy Hooper

Show Horses by Suzy

Fresno, CA

yes, there was a rumor of PETA being there. We found out from a club member as my friend was waiting to run her rally test....OUTSIDE. We were warned that there was a 'possibility' that there was a PETA person (or persons) on the site and they were letting dogs out of vehicles, but this wasn't confirmed (nor do I doubt it....but that's another story). We didn't see any door being guarded....at least not the ones we were using. There were state troopers there every day, and there were a couple more milling around yesterday....

I am a little worried about the Louisville show, but for some other reasons with the new legislations in Jefferson County.....but we will be surrounded by fellow corgi club members, and we will know most of them, so hopefully things will be ok.

Thanks though for the concern!!! I appreciate it!!!!

hugs,

Kathryn & Moxie

The law is actually 91 pages long, in PDF format, but here is what PetLaw has to say about it.........PERSONALLY I would be moving or fighting this all the way to the supreme court!

Here are some of the provisions:

1) There is no grandfather clause. If you currently own more dogs than are permitted for your lot size (No more than 3 dogs if you have .5 acres or less). If you’re over the limit, you are out of luck and out of compliance.

2) All unaltered (spayed/neutered) dogs must be in an enclosure that has been *approved in writing* by the Director of Louisville Metro Animal Services.

3) If you trail ride in the park, you must carry with you a "suitable device for the picking up, collection and proper sanitary disposal" of any manure dropped by your horse. Further, you must actually dismount, collect said manure, and dispose of it while maintaining control of your horse.

4) Vets are required to turn over their rabies shot records to LMAS so that dogs which got a rabies vax but not a license can be impounded.. They are also required to notify their clients of the provisions of this 94+ page ordinance.

5) All unaltered dogs must be microchipped. (There are new studies out that show a link between microchips and cancer, by the way--several of them.)

6) If you show your unaltered dog, and travel with it for more than 3 days, you must notify the Director as to the change in location of your unaltered dog.

7) If you sell, give away, or board (yes, board) your unaltered dog, you must notify the Director.

8) You may not purchase an unaltered dog without the written permission of the Director.

9) Revaccination/relicensing requirement for all dogs/cats removed from a kennel or cattery at any time.

10) Prohibits use of invisible fencing for unaltered dogs.

11) Mandates spay/neuter for any unaltered dog that is impounded for any

reason before the owner can reclaim the dog.

12) If any of your animals (not just dogs) “irritates†or “perturbs†anyone twice within a 5 year period, you will be forced to give up ALL of your animals and will be prohibited from owning animals again for 2 years.

13) Prohibits ownership of ANY animals by anyone who has two violations within 5 years-no matter how minor.

14) Requires reporting of all sales of all dogs, with buyers name & address to be sent to MAS, even if buyer is not local.

15) If you have more than one unaltered pet, of any species, then you will need a $300 Animal Dealer’s license to sell any offspring of your current pets. This includes gerbils, mice, ferrets as well as dogs and cats.

16) Every time you pick up your dog, cat, or ferret from a kennel—even a boarding kennel, you must get it relicensed and revaccinated against rabies!

The list just goes on and on

I haven't read the full law in Albuquerque yet but its close to as strict and I had hope to retire to really invest in my dog showing years there because I love the area for SO many other reasons! I had heard that I think its Atlanta passed a mandatory spay/neuter on any dog picked up as a stray even if tagged or microchipped BEFORE return to owner! So who wants to go to a show and God forbid your dog gets loose or worse yet gets set loose and gets picked up. No one likes to think of one of their show dogs getting loose and off property but with spring and summer outdoor shows coming up, it happens on occasion! Look it happened after Westminster last year! At a show my dogs might not BE TAGGED because of coat issues and flat collars but every one of them (ALL 3 THAT SLEEP IN MY BED ABUSIVE ANIMAL OWNER THAT I AM!) is chipped for JUST that reason. I have even considered dual chipping my dogs (since I only have 3) since there seems to be controversy over AVID versus The other system and who will have what readers! Who is any one to tell me that I cannot have my animal back until THEY have surgically altered it because a MISTAKE happened! One of my show dogs is a rescue dog, I cetainly understand that there are over population issues but go after the right people NOT those of us that probably paymore atttention to our animals needs than many random owners! The Labrador Retriever Club of the Potomic Specialty is coming up at the end of April. It is an outside show, VERY CLOSE to Washington, DC. Last year on a lot very close to major roadways. We are having doubts about going! ITS PRETTY SAD WHEN PEOPLE THAT SHARE THE COMON LOVE OF AN ANIMAL HAVE TO FEAR GETTING TOGETHER! Kel

I recently heard two unconfirmed reports that related to the mandatory spay/neuter before being returned to owners that made me cringe. In one case a woman who shows dogs was going through a divorce and her soon to be ex took all of her show dogs to animal control. In another case a woman was in a car accident and all her show dogs were taken in by animal control, including dogs she handled for other people. In both cases they were fighting the mandatory spay/neuter before return clauses but it wasn;t looking good.

I heard about those stories second hand so i can;t say how accurate they are but looking at this sort of language in the law I can see it happening:

Any unaltered dog which is impounded for any reason after the effective date of this ordinance shall not be reclaimed by an owner unless the dog is spayed or neutered by or at the direction of MAS.

What state is that quote from?? I NEVER thought of the idea of a car accident! We travel recreationally all the time all over the place with our dogs! Do we now need to read state laws for each state we might drive through on any given trip! Aren't there more important things in life for states to worry about! Kel

Thankfully at the Louisville cluster, it is at the STATE fairgrounds, therefore the site itself isn't a problem....now they 'say' that if a dog gets loose while at these shows, there won't be a problem....

I also just got an email through from one of my corgi lists saying that there is a rumor that PETA will be there letting dogs out as well.....thankfully we are going to be in a group with all the other corgi people....hopefully nothing will go wrong....

~kathryn

Places like fairgrounds and indoors are less scary. The Lab specialty is on open ground at a Sheraton convention center next to a huge mall! Last year we left dogs in cars at the other end of tha parking lot with windows open feeling safe that with so many "lab" paople walking back and forth swapping dogs cars with open windows were "safe". That certainly shouldn't be the feeling this year! This place also has major roadways on all sides of it. Adog could be in the road in minutes! I have heard PETA people say "better dead than crated". This would be an easy place to make that happen! Dog shows should not be a scary part of life!

That makes traveling anywhere even scarier in someways because you can never know the laws every where on go on such an obscure issue. There should be clauses built in for things like car accidents and dog shows and legal ownership with AKC registration etc.

This was cross-posted on several lists:

Please crosspost... full permission from Franklin show chair...

I am the show chairman for the Nashville Kennel Club and the cluster

chairman for the Country Music Cluster in Franklin, TN. This story has

gotten out of hand and untrue. No one stole a dog. A man and small child

were at the shows. Someone overheard him say that he thought it was cruel

to keep the dogs in the cages. He took pictures of a few dogs (all were in

appropriate size crates and well taken care of). We were alerted to look

for him and make sure nothing happened. We never found him or the child.

We had alerted our security and watched entrances to the bldg and let people

enter through one entrance. A man fitting the description was seen with a

boxer. He was at a crate, when asked if he was from PETA, he said yes, he

was. Then he proceeded to put the boxer in the crate and leave. It turned

out he was the owner of the boxer and a dog person known to the boxer

people. He thought he was just being funny when he said it and didn't know

we were under the impression that someone might be at the show to cause

problems (which it turned out no one was ever identified).

He apologized for causing the commotion.

PLEASE STOP THIS RUMOR!!! No one tried to steal a GSD or any other dog. We

took precautionary measures to keep any potential problems from arising.

Thank you,

Brenda Weiss, Nashville KC

Thank-you for you clarification but I think owners still need to be on alert even if the escalaton of PETA activity is happening at the rumor or hearsay level. I personally was at a show about 10 years ago when a large group from PETA intermixed with spectators at an outdoor obedience trial and a a specified time each person in the group, and there were more than 20, headed to a crate opened it and they all started trying to head the dogs toward a large road with very heavy Sat morning traffic that bordered the show. Fortunately they chose and OBEDIENCE trial and the majority pf the dogs returned to owners on recall or dropped in place leaving only a few younger dogs to be re-rounded up. In the chaos of dog safty first by the time police got there they were unable to identify a single person directly involved in opening a crate! No one was arrested but fortunately none of the dogs were injured either. It was done under the better dead than crated theory! I'm sorry they have some good points on animal cruelty in some situations but they are indiscriminate in their cause! IN PA we'd all love to see that same group of people head to the hills of Lancaster County and swoop down on the 100's of puppy mils that the area is notoriuos for and Animal Control has like 2 people to investigate! Heck I might even join them in one of THOSE kind of raids! Pick the appropriate targets!

Back