Just wondering??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krstn&Locket

Reaction score
My mini is going to be in a run in for some time because my trainer is moving, just wondering how many of you just use run in's and if their's anything bad about using them??

All of our horses, except the show ones during the day, are kept outside and have nothing but run ins. They have no 'barn' to go into. They only come into the barn to eat. They do fine as long as they have adequate shelter.

While I have a barn I only use it for mares foaling and for the show horses(and even they are in the "dry lot" pastures with shelters most of the time") otherwise my guys are out on the pasture(and in the summer time they're also just big dry lots!) with shelters to get out of the weather or the heat.....and they do just fine. Horses are herd animals and I really try to keep that in mind and make it as "natural" as I can for them.

Yea, I guess it's ok then. I have a hard time realizing that there herd animals sometimes because every time it rains I want to rush out and bring them all in.

I live in southern Delaware&all my horses including foals are out 24/7 with run in sheds.The babies&mommas are in the barn for a few weeks to get used to being handled, but for the most part are always out.I try to group them so that the horses in the field get along well together so no one gets shut out of the shed if the weather is bad.My larger sheds are 24 feet wide(3 moms&3 babies in that field) and open across the front on the side with the least amount of wind and bad weather.They are out all year unless going to a show.

I have both run ins and a barn.

One of my run ins is completely open on one side. To me, this is not enough shelter for them in the winter or in the summer because of the flies/heat.

I think a run in needs to be almost completely enclosed to give adequate protection from heat/flies/wind/cold.

Something as simple as a tarp or removable boards will work. At this time of year I think the three sided run in is sufficient. However, I give my foals, during weaning time, full access to the barn so they can lie down in a soft bed of shavings. I also think it is safer in the barn.

My horses are basically out 24/7 with run-in sheds. Some of them get closed into stalls at meal time for an hour or so. Also, the night before they go to a show, I put them in stalls w/ their body slinkies, hoods and sheets on to stay clean. Other than that, they come in and out of the sheds as they choose.

My boy basically lives in a run-in. He stands out in the rain when its raining, hehe. But that's what makes him happy, and he has 10ft of closed in parts to hang out in if he wanted, so *shrugs* whatever keeps him happy, lol.

I do as Bevann.....hey, they are actually in a healthier situation when allowed to do this. Of course, not everyone is set up for it and/or has issues such as predators, etc. Plus, if I have one with "issues" or who needs extra consideration (like aged animals, etc.) they are given arrangements as needed. Really don't have any of that now but, a barn with stalls IS available.

I have a run in shed for my minia ans my shetland,they basically use it when it rains and when it's hot and it's good shade.My dad is going to add on to ours and put a gate on the front so they stay inside during snow this winter,i just hate seeing them covered in ice.

My stallion has just a three side run-in, but the fourth side is now 1/3 covered with plywood and his run-in is 8' behind a tall section of windbreak for the cows, so he really is protected from the wind.

I'm just now finishing up my barn, but they will only be in stalls for meals; otherwise they'll just have run-in type access to part of the barn.

They all do just fine and even when my horses have access to stalls or run-ins; they seem to enjoy standing out in the middle of the rain or snow.
default_wacko.png
:

Mine too have run-in shelters. We use the barn simply for foaling mares, a horse with an injury requiring stall rest and for our aging pony who, in cold and/or stormy weather will shiver w/o a blanket and a stall. They all do fine and will use the shelters when the weather turns "south".

It would depend on your setup. We use 3 sided shelters exclusively, but do have a fairly moderate climate in Northern California. A few days a year with triple digits and a few days a year below freezing, the rest is of the time it's temperate.

If you have enough space, it's secure and you are okay with it then it should be fine.

:saludando: Hi from South Carolina. My minis use our run ins and only are stalled while they are foaling out. I have never had a problem with this at all.

All of my breeding herd live with run ins. It has worked extremely well here! My broodmares are brought into the mare barn for foaling. The show horses live in the show barn. The rest of the horses live outside.

I only use my barn for foaling and showing. I have shelters in all the paddocks and after that it is up to them to use them. My guys are happy as pigs in mud to stand in the rain and snow and slop around in the mud.

Mine are out 24/7 with run ins for them to get in as they please, and I can stall the mares that are foaling. They are healthy and happy and most the time stand out in the rain anyway.
default_wacko.png
:

Sheri

Latest posts

Back