Just wanted to share a fun story

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shortpig

Reaction score
Usually I will go out to take care of the horses which means cleaning their barns and getting their food ready, filling and cleaning water buckets when necessary. I have a ritual whereby I wil take a break, sit in the shop door on the stoop and just enjoy watching or looking at them. Watching all the birds and listening to them sing. This is great for my mental health and it really relaxes me. Then during this Duckie (who is now away at the trainers) will come up to me, put her head over my shoulder and try to pull me in closer with her head. Then she wants kisses on her nose and is very forward about it.

Her Mom Jasmine will stand off to the side acting very aloof and not in need of such attention. Ariel will also stand and watch to make certain their are no treats involved in this interaction. Sometimes she will approach for a scratch or just a quick hello.

Well! Yesterday I'm thinking I will just sit down for a few minutes. I will actually be able to watch the boys because I won't have Duckie blocking my view. I was probably sitting there for a whole two minutes when Jasmine walks right up in front of me and stands there staring at me at first. She then proceeds to get right in my face and it is quite obvious she wants the nose kiss.
default_new_shocked.gif
So I give her a smooch and fix her hair which seems to always be a mess these days. Apparently we have a silly bug living out there because at this point she grabs my coat and begins shaking it. Then she stops and looks me right in the eye as much as to say. Hey girl! You alright? Then proceeds to give me one of those nose twitching nuzzles on the cheek and again steps back to look at me.
default_wub.png

Well I decide to get them in their barn and fed. Now they are happy and I head over to the boys. I have their feed buckets and the arm load of hay for them. Start to step into their barn, trip and make a grab for what ever I can get ahold of at this point. Not wanting to make a face plant on the floor of their barn. I got ahold of good Old Jimmy and he stands right there until I'm able to steady myself. So I dump their buckets and spread their hay. I decided Jimmy needed lots of loving and pats for saving me. Koda looks pretty happy just eating. I turn to head for the door when I hear a squeal and next thing I know Koda is between me and the door. Apparently the hugs and pets before I lock them in for the night are very important to Koda. More than I knew. So I give him a big hug, fix his hair what is it with their hair suddenly? Pet him for a little bit and then he walks quietly back to his bucket and returns to eating. All is now well in their barn.

After locking their gate I stand and look out at the sky and the birds. Listening to them chirp and sing. Listening to the traffic on the Hwy below us and think to myself. These are my friends. We are a family. These horses have been with me thru some of the lowest points in my life. Got me out of bed in the morning and kept me here to go to bed at night.

Jasmine, Ariel and Jimmy have been with me for 15 yrs now. Duckie and Koda since the day they were born. They still surprise me at times with their intuitiveness into how I am feeling. Yesterday was one of those days. When one of our group is missing we all feel it. We pull together and get thru it. Ariel came home the day Duckie left. She had been gone for two months and they were very happy to see her back home. The way I see it this is what family is all about.

Oh Marie that made me cry. All my horses are in training and I so miss them. Like you say; "your family." I miss my family!!!!!! Thanks so much for sharing, I needed that. TJ

I really enjoyed reading this..it pretty much puts into words exactly what I feel when I am in the barn. Unless you love animals as we do, others think we are just 'nuts' to enjoy going to the barn, doing what we do and doing it in all kinds of awful weather.

It really grounds me...makes me feel so centered...thanks for writing it!!

Ohhh, I loved your story
default_wink.png
It was almost like being there. Our four-legged critters are our best friends. They really are relaxing and good for our mental health
default_biggrin.png

Thanks for sharing !!

Yes! Yes! Yes!!! That's exactly how I feel about our girls. There is something magical about being out there with them, morning and evening. I still am still stunned that I enjoy even the most arduous aspects of this adventure of ours. Mucking out stalls? No problem!!! Love it! It means I'm spending time with my girls and living a dream I never imagined would ever happen.

Thanks for sharing this with us today!!!
default_wub.png
:wub
default_wub.png

That is a very nice story. And if we are lucky and pay attention, can have it happen to us too. They are funny little people.

Love your story, and you are so right saying that it is all about 'family'! Then just sometimes there is that oh so special moment when all is at peace with the world, and one can pause for a while and feel the happiness all around.

Anna

Thank you so much for sharing, it literally gave me goosebumps!

Sounds like you have a wonderful family!
default_yes.gif

I'm glad you enjoyed this. It is totally how I feel about my horses. It's odd but with Duckie gone Jasmine seems to have stepped into her hooves. Right there in my face now. Not sure why that is and probably will never know. Maybe as the mom she felt she needed to stand back and let Duckie get the attention. Now that I do understand. The love of a mother.

I would love to hear about the bonds you have with your horses or even the one that is your horsie soul mate.

Marie

Latest posts

Back