JUST THINKING!! NEED YOUR ADVICE - IE., HOW MUCH WORK IS IT TO BREED MINI'S

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi ! I'm a couple of years down the road in the same decision. To prepare myself for eventually having babies, I went and got a job as a foal sitter, where I do mare watch, as well as deal with sick babies, full size as well as minis. Some of the horses are owned by people that have been in horses for a gazillion years, so I've learned that even the most experienced people have had to bring in a mare and a foal when there is trouble. Just showing up at the equine hospital in the middle of the night cost $500! The price of care begins at that point in time... which is equally as expensive.

I have to say, that if you have a mare that needs a C-section, due to dystocia, there is a 50/50 chance you are going to loose the mare or the foal or the mare and the foal. I've seen many mares and foals survive, but then the foals are very week, need fluids (IV drips) every two hours, are often very weak, and spend much time in the hospital .... for very big bucks!

We are about to pick up our first broodmare, and I have let the children know, that we cannot become emotionally attached, because it will hurt more, if we loose the mare. No matter, I know the kids will be crushed if something goes wrong.

You have to be like an egg... hard on the outside and soft on the inside... even then... it can be heartbreaking. I only work part time as a foal sitter... because of the cost of emotions... on nights someone is lost. In short... it's not easy... not on your pocket book, not on your schedule... and most of all... on your heart. It's a roller coaster of emotions.

God Bless....

Hi. Well a couple of very informative days have passed - was I, wasnt I going to bred with Bob, and in one of my last posts, I think I said I would get him gelded and get him another colt/gelding for him to hang with. Well, Bobbie will still ge the snip in the next few months - and I thank everybody for helping me make this decision. Bobbie has been registered by his previous owners with the MHA in Australia and he is of good breeding stock but I dont have time at present to breed him and do I want to keep a stallion until I am ready - if ever - NO. So, that is Bobbie sorted.

In relation to the sex of Bob's new friend, well I have decided to go with a filly - that way in about 5-7 years, she will still be young enough to breed with - IF and that is a big IF I ever decide to go down that line. That gives me heaps of time to research and weigh up all the decisions I make. I have been in touch with Bobbies previous owner and he has a piebald filly - not sure if that is how you pronounce the colour but she is Bobbie's half sister and is only about 5 months old.

Her owners are happy to keep her with them until I am ready to take her - I explained that Bobbie is still ungelded and I did not want him to hassle her. BUT what I want to know from you special people is this:

I plan to get Bob gelded in the next couple of month or so. If I decide to get her straight away, (like der... trying to keep me away from a new addition will be like keeping chocolate away from me~!!) given she is only 5 mths old, would she be safe iwth him now - her owner said she should be fine as she is running with young colts now BUT I just wanted to check - bth in relation to the BOY/GIRL/SEX/LOVER thing and also in relation to Bobbie just being a bully - not that I think he would be but I imagine he would be quite bigger than her.

Also, would he know instintively that she is his half sister - I am hoping that if everything goes right and I get her that they will connect straight away and be great pals.

Thanks

Regards, Kerrie

P.S. I am so excited - I am getting some photos sent over via email tonight - the filly is apparently exactly like Bob but dark brown and white, instead of his chestnut and white - the owner called Bobbie;s colour a skewbald. I will post them to you guys tomorrow night.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good on you and a big congrats on the new filly I look forward to seeing photos of her :bgrin

Last edited:
Is there anyway that you could seperate your big guy from the new filly? If you had seperate pens, then maybe that would be an option too? Our herd loves to rub noses between the gate slates. We have a very very small stallion (26"s..... to me, he's small) who has the lofty ambition of being with the QH. The two love each other, but this isn't happening, if I have anything to say about it, and unless she jumps the gate..... I'm safe.

God Bless,

Lynn W

By the way, I heard our little guys father is living in your area....

CONGRATS ON the FILLY!

I would definatley wait until he is gelded to put him with the new filly because YES he can and probably would breed her. He will be better off if he never learns the breeding motions, ot he might hang on to the habit even after he is gelded. You can bring the new filly home, but only if you have a seperate paddock for her. I'd suggest a seperate paddock anyway, in case they don't get along right away.

He may not know his half-sister is actually that... horses and most animals are not that discriminating when it comes to the heat of the moment. :new_shocked:

Geldings can still "breed" mares... they may not have the complete equipment to solidify the deal but they certainly can try to achieve something... Mercy had a torrid affair with a Welsh Pony gelding who had sired one filly prior to his gelding. She was the only mare we saw him ever breed to... and many youngsters at the farm she was boarded at, at the time, had a lot of fun recounting what they saw Tyler and Mercy do, repeatedly! :new_shocked: :eek:

I have seen some gelding pairs go through some hilarious antics - beating each other with cones and sticks...acting like fierce stallions one minute then grooming each other the next....whatever your choice ends up being, best of luck to you as you sincerely seem to have your horse's best interests at heart!

Denise

Silversong Farm

Latest posts

Back