Just thinking and wondering...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluerogue

Reaction score
I'm wanting to move from where we are currently located. My significant other is across the country right now, and we're wanting to be in the same place. Between us, we have 15 horses right now, but I am actively selling a couple, so our end numbers are likely to be somewhere closer to 10. These will include 2 stallions, and the rest are mares. We have A size minis, and most are double registered. I also have some fish (in tanks), and my dog Drogo (who is huge, but sweet, and completely ignores the horses, usually to his own detriment... they take advantage of him, and he's been kicked and bitten a few times. He is NEVER alone with them, and they are the transgressors, as the mares will actively back him into corners to get him). It's terribly amusing to have such a huge, wussy dog. But I love him, because in my eyes, he's pretty much perfect (I just wish he wasn't so huge).

Anyway, I was wondering if there are farms out there looking for help, who have extra space. We don't really care if we end up on the east or west coast. Either is equally acceptable to us. I would love to be on a place where I can be on the farm all the time. As long as you don't care how fast I walk (I have a really bad knee), or that my dog is gonna want to be with me pretty much all the time (and you don't mind me yelling at him to stop eating the horse poo that he thinks is dog treats), I'd love to be somewhere and help out. My significant other plans to get a job if/when we find a place to go. He's currently working in CT. There's more info as well, if anyone finds any of this appealing. I have lots of ideas of things to do, to help support ourselves as well as whoever/where ever we end up at.

Do you guys think that this kind of opportunity is something that is possible? I realize this sounds odd, but I'm just trying to find ways to get us in the same place, and be able to keep the horses on site with us. I'm not really happy with the current quasi boarding situation we're in at the moment.

You can post on craiglist under the category services. Anything is possible - all you can do is try.

I do that now. Live on my friend's farm, take care of the horses. I have four minis that are "mine" but we co-own several together. It's fun, but it can become a chore after a while: no days off, on call 24/7. Plus if we decide to go to a show together, we have to find outside help to feed, as her hubby is totally NON horsey! One day one of the colts got out and he called her, when she asked what it looked like she got "it's a BROWN horse!" (It was actually a silver black overo...snicker...)

I have my own mobile home at the end of the property and have two dogs and NINE guinea pigs. Anyone want a piggie? heeheehee

I think, in a population where many horse owners are aging, not ready to give up their loved life style quite yet, that it is quite possible.

Especially if you get to an area where folks have lots of acreage and adding your herd might not be as much an issue as someone with

just a small farm/ranch.

I'd get your references and experience together, so it's readily available, and advertise the situation you are looking for.

You might be surprised.

That is what I was thinking and hoping for, Equuisize. I'm kind of hoping for a situation where someone just needs more help, and has extra space. I want to stay/work at home to be with the animals, while my significant other is going to work outside somewhere. So it'd be a perfect situation for someone who either wants to or does work off the property, and wants someone on site. I do have experience foaling out horses, and am not adverse to learning midwifery for other animals as well.

I'm a bit at a loss as to how to go about finding such a situation. It'd be awesome to find something, but I am practical enough to know that it's not terribly likely. I'm also looking in to real estate prices, and rental prices, too. It just sucks because there's so many areas to look at, literally all over the country, and we aren't in the same place right now. Plus it's difficult because he's working where he is right now, and wherever we go, he'd have to find a job either really quick, or before we get there. It's just so many variables, and so many things to think about and consider.

Here's an idea, you might try being a caretaker for someones farm. My daughter -in-law did this once for someone that had a few horses on lots of acrage, but had cancer and was being hosptilized. She cared for their home and horses in exchange for staying rent free, just paying utilities, and had her horses. Of course when this person passed they sold the farm, but gave my daughter-in-law time to find a new place.

I think what you have is a tall order only because of the ten horses. If you got it down to probably 2 and no stallions I think this would be a much more do-able situation. My husband has always told me if he passed away he wouldn't want me to be alone and to find someone with a horse or two who would come live with me on the property. I'll bet there are a lot of seniors on farms who would love not only the help but your companionship. Best wishes on this.

I'm not sure where you would start either but getting together references from people that know you, who would speak to how you

care for your animals ie; friends, vets, trainers etc etc is a good start.

You might ask Mary Lou if you could advertise on the saleboard as it reaches people all over the country.

Many other sale sites have pages for alternative listings, too.

Wonder if there is a farm and ranch journal that you could check to see if anyone is looking for the help you have to offer?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was a care taker once and I feel that you would have a very good chance at finding something like that. At the time I had 20 of my own horses and they had about the same amount. I actually fell into it when one of my friends was looking for a care taker and knew what an amazing renter I was. Me and my partner were asked to do it right away and we accepted the offer and it was a wonderful experience.

I would say that you should get some references ready because in the end, my reputation is what landed us that opportunity.

I dont think the number of horses is the problem , the fact that some are stallions could be

Latest posts

Back