Just ordered a Wee Foal test!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HavingFun

Reaction score
We'll see how this turns out. My mare was kept with a stallion (at least 2 different ones) at her old home. She never took...

When I got her, I had her for a month and then someone gave me a really nice 2 year old stallion. Yes..I put them together, they were together for a month before I got him gelded. Then..I joined this board, learned more about minis, read about foaling problems and was very relieved I had gotten him gelded. I was also happy because I truley believed that this mare couldn't be bred.

That was at the end of January. In April she was out getting trained and the women who was training her said she came into full blown heat when they put a new horse in the stall beside her, so..she didn't think she was bred. Again..I was glad to hear it.

Now..she's starting to look a bit thick around the middle and I'm getting nervous. If she is bred we have a lot of work to do as she would be due in December and I need a nice place to put her. We just have run-ins. Plus I've read all of the things about what can go wrong so i want to be preparted..or not worry about it if she's not bred.

The things you do when you should know better...

Have you found wee foal test to be accurate? I read somewhere else that they are more accurate then the blood test the vet gives.

For the record if she's bred, the foal would stay here.

I no longer have the statllion, (now gelding) that she was with. She is in with our 2 other geldings.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find the weefoals work really well if you use them when the mares are in the correct part of their gestation. By this I mean for the weefoal38 I like to use them at around day 45-50 , that is when the hormones levels are high enough to get a good clear result. And the same goes for the 120 test, I like htem to be at least 130-140 days and not more than 290-300 days as the levels drop as the pregnancy nears the end. If I get what you are saying the mare would be about 210 days along, perfect for the weefoal 120. If you get only one line, she is pregnant. Two lines and she's not.

Have you tried feeling for the foal, I've never had a mare that I could not feel the foal of at day 210. Feel during mealtimes, just in front of the udder. Always works for me.

Assuming I counted right, the Wee Foal test you would be looking at is the Wee Foal 120, for mares 120-300 days pregnant. That test is totally different from the Wee Foal 38, which tests for hormones, while the 120 tests for something the fetus produces. My experience has been much better with the Wee Foal 120, actually I think 100% accurate. I did NOT have good results with the Wee Foal 38 this year though, which I only know because in one case I had an ultrasound that confirmed pregnancy after a clear negative on the Wee Foal 38, and in the other case I ran 2 separate tests on the same urine sample about 15 minutes apart and one came out clearly negative and the other looks positive. I will be checking that mare later with a Wee Foal 120.

I am not sure if the tests might have been affected by heat during shipping; just a guess knowing how hot this year has been in lots of places. I think (but am not positive) the tests I had gotten in past years were shipped with coolant and these were not.

Good for you for being responsible and learning if the mare is bred or not so you can be prepared if she is.

I will try feeling for the foal, actually that's part of what started to make me curious. She's pinning her ears now if I touch near her belly. Then I looked at her a few days later and noticed she is thicker. She doesn't look fat, just thicker around the middle if that makes sense..in front of her hips. She's either bred or she's just eating to much, that's another reason I would really like to know.

I did order the Wee Foal 120 so at least that should be right. Now I only have to figure out how to get the urine sample...
default_unsure.png

We used some on our mares a couple of years ago and they were spot on!

Now I only have to figure out how to get the urine sample...
default_unsure.png
Simple. Place a woman's pad across the mare's vulva. Tape across from side to side with duct tape or packing tape. The pad will protect the vulva from the tape. Tape will pull off of the hair easily. As soon as she urinates, remove the tape and pad and squeeze the urine into a cup. You have your sample.

Simple. Place a woman's pad across the mare's vulva. Tape across from side to side with duct tape or packing tape. The pad will protect the vulva from the tape. Tape will pull off of the hair easily. As soon as she urinates, remove the tape and pad and squeeze the urine into a cup. You have your sample.
Thank you, I will do just that! I was picturing myself sitting outside with her for hours on end.

We used Weefoal 38 for the first time this year, at about day 60 past the last breeding date. One was a clear positive. The other one had an extremely faint line that was almost invisible, so we're retesting her with the Weefoal 120 in a few weeks. Both are seasoned, senior broodmares. If the second one is not pregnant, she'll simply get another year off!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no experience with Weefoal, so nothing to add there. Just wanted to say that if she is, then she can join the marestare club too! I would be very happy to have one mare lady to watch while I am bored at work!

I used the WeeFoal38 at around day 50 and it was a strong positive. Then I used the 120 at around 130 days and also a strong positive. A healthy colt was born at day 321
default_biggrin.png
I bring my girls in at dinnertime and they pee as soon as they get in their stalls, so I had a styrofoam cup attached to a broom handle to catch it
default_laugh.png
It's how they do it at the racetrack and other competitions (for drug testing). Got a sample within 1 minute lol

Latest posts

Back