Just how long can a maiden mare go before foaling?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Contessa

Reaction score
I know this has been asked before but I can't find it. I have a 4 yr old maiden mare who just refuses to give up her foal! Her last breeding date was 10-12-07. Sept. 17th would have been 340 days so today she is on day 362! I had her vet checked in foal early in the pregnacy. Her bag keeps doing the yo-yo thing-up one day and down the next but is never really tight or full. I have her under camera and watch her from my bedroom at night. Last night she started moving fast around the stall, rubbed her butt on the wall for 20 minutes and was biting at her side and yawning. I thought it was finally going to happen! After all that she just started to munch hay like nothing ever happened.
default_wacko.png
The foal is definately a pendulum underneath her but no real V shape. About 2 weeks ago we found 4 piles of cow plop in her stall and then the manure went right back to normal. I can feel tiny kicks when I push on her belly so I know it's there. How long is too long? Sleepless in PA

I would have the vet out to check her again to make sure she didn't slip the foal.

She is stalled at night and left out during the day in her own private paddock. I would have found it if she slipped it. Vet was here 3 months ago and she was still carrying it.

Maybe she is like some women that don't have enough harmones to start labor. Just a thought.

I am guessing tonight is the night. I have had them act like they are going to have them one night & then they wait till the next night. Good Luck

Maybe last night was "practice night"
default_laugh.png
I hope you are right about her foaling tonight. I have been keeping an eye on her all day today because I thought the same thing. Something was happening last night, just not sure why she changed her mind. This is my third foal from 2 different mares. The other mare is experienced and pops them out on time like a pro and is a super-mom. This mare is driving me nuts!

I feel your pain we will have a maiden in 2009 and i am so unsure of how she will react to havieing a foal. She is gonna be 4 by the time she has her baby I belive so she will be a good age for getting the baby out. I hope everything goes fine with your maiden mare.

LOL! I know your pain. Just stop watching her and she'll foal. That's what worked for me this year!

Stop watching her is also my husband's idea. It doesn't seem to work for me because my eyes are basically glued to her. I just did a midday check and snack at the barn. The mare was yawning a lot and then rolled but otherwise very quiet. I didn't notice it on her but she was standing in the sun and her shadow showed a definate pointed V under her belly. I fluffed up her stall with even more straw and then checked her bag. It was hot! Almost to the point of sweating. That is the first time I felt actual heat from it. It is still sorta flat but wider.
default_new_multi.gif
default_new_multi.gif
default_risa8.gif
Looks like it's going to happen soon. Guess there will be no sleep for me tonight!

One member of this forum had a mare go over 380 this year, she posted about it. My maiden went 350 something this spring.

Good luck! Maybe have a little nightime toddy to get your juices flowing and prepare you for a loooooong night!
default_472.gif

Dang it! No baby last night! Still waiting. I thought I had read about a 380 day foal, did everything turn out ok? We are at 363 days today.
default_wacko.png

default_new_shocked.gif
I cannot believe these mares...what ever possessed me into getting minis?
default_wacko.png
Because I LOVE 'EM
default_yes.gif
:yes
default_aktion033.gif
Hope she foals soon!!!!!!
default_biggrin.png

The past 2 days she has been eating every last piece of hay PLUS some of her straw bedding! :DOH! This is not normal for her at all! This evening the foal looked like it was tapping out morse code on her left side. I don't know morse code myself but I bet it was saying "Get me outta here"!!
default_crybaby.gif

Any news yet? I hope for your sake she foals soon and has a happy, healthy foal. If it is born black it has been way overcooked. Do not let her burn her first one!
default_laugh.png

Shortpig I never thought of that but I am actually hoping for a black/white. The mare is a blue eyed dapple pinto with paw prints and the sire is a black/white pinto. If I could figure out how to downsize my pics I would add some to this thread.

I feel for you..my black and white mare is a late foaler also..her first was at 368 days and her second was 385!!!!! Good luck and be sure and post pictures!

Back