Just had a DYSTOCIA/RED BAG delivery

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nnadams

Reaction score
One of my mares went into labor about 30 minutes ago. I had stayed out in the barn quietly waiting where she could not see me all night long. I was there and helping her during her labor, but could not save the little silver bay pinto colt. By the time I got the colt turned around, it was too late.....I have left her with her baby right now to give her time. I know I should express her colostrum and freeze it, but how long can I give her before I do this?
default_no.gif

I believe the colostrum is present up to 12 hours after foaling, but the sooner the better. So sorry for your loss. It's been a bad year for lost foals.

I'm not in the camp that encourages milking a mare that lost a foal.

Colostrum lasts for about 3 days, but the quality does drop some over time. I don't see any need to rush, but if you are going to do it then I would encourage frequent milkings to maximize the return. I would milk every 2 hours around the clock.

Colostrum lasts for 1 year in the freezer and needs to be warmed for use in a water bath (do not microwave).

Dr Taylor

We lost a foal last year - first in a long time - and I did express some colostrum witihin an hour or so. I just did it twice, and froze the results. A neighbor had an orphaned foal a few months later and it was put to good use.

Jan

I'm so sorry for your loss. Sometimes breeding can be heartbreaking! I'm glad your mare is okay.

Pam

Thank you for your kind words.

My mare seems to be doing fine. I did go ahead and start expressing her colostrum and since she did not seem to mind at all and it seems to be helping her expell more fluids, I have already taken a good bit. I have another mare I was worried had wasted her colostrum a couple of weeks ago now, who still has not foaled, so I thought I would save this colostrum for her foal.

I am going to start another topic with my questions on this.

Thanks again.

Mares will not waste their colostrum.... even if you think its "leaked" out, there will be plenty for the foal when it arrives
default_smile.png
Just make sure you do your IgG's like usual.

Good to have it on hand if another foal should need it
default_smile.png
, just remember the longer you milk out this mare the more she will continue to produce. If I didn't say it before, so sorry for your lost foal...it's always heartbreaking to lose one.

Jan

Very sad for both you and your mare's loss.....

Like others have said, we have milked the mare almost immediately, but only a few times to allow her to dry up. The colostrum in the first 12 hours is always the best. We don't keep milking for the entire time because it's not fair to the mare....and we also withhold grain to help her dry up.

For freezing, we use ice cube trays. (Each ice cube cup = approx. 1 oz.) After a few hours we pop the frozen cubes into freezer bags, ID and date the bag. To melt the cubes, we place them in a double boiler on the stove. As Dr. Taylor said -- NEVER microwave.

Latest posts

Back