Just got The Journal in the mail

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I just always figured that color came first. Money talks. I remember taking out- was it eight or ten pages of black and white in a row and I think it was put towards the back. But hey, I really don't care where in the Journal it is. In fact I think I'll ask Betty if my color Christmas ad can be in back with all the official pages. Any thing to get attention.

I do know one thing. That when Betty took over the World Magazine it was in the red and when she stopped it was turning a big profit. But, I don't know if she had to put in all the official stuff that the Journal does. And that cost money, Maybe we should stop putting the official stuff in and people could get that on line.

Oh, I have to add. My favorite ad of this issue is a black and white. Page 101. I've gone back to it many time. It's all about catching the moment for me. Love it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a fan. I think the new Journal is vastly improved - there is actually something to read, something to look at. In the past the Journal got maybe 4 or 5 minutes of my time, just enough to flip through it and read what was relevant to my area. I'm sure Betty would welcome input if you have articles to submit or suggestions for content.

One of my favorite things in Horse & Rider has always been the Conformation Clinic, I'd love to see that in a mini magazine, "judged" by a different trainer every month or so.

Jan

Just received a survey by email: questions about the Journal from AMHR / ASPC

Hope you receive it that way you have a chance to post your views.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yes, I for sure gave my views in that survey.
default_smile.png
I had something I really wanted to suggest in the final "how to improve" question but I refrained from that one.

Something you all should know is that placement of colour or black and white has more to do with the actual construction of the periodical, and cost there of, rather than the amount of money paid for an ad. Many pages are printed on a large sheet of paper which is then folded into a "signature" which sort of looks like a pamphlet. Depending on the total number of pages you will have a certain number of signatures of varying sizes such as 8 page, 16 page, etc. to make up the total number of pages in the book. With perfect bound books, like our Journal, where the pages are inside of a cover with a wide spine the signatures are stacked on top of each other and then glued at the spine and placed inside the cover. Some periodicals are stitched or stapled at a fold on the spine. The signatures for these books are opened to the center and placed inside of each other. The pages in a signature are planned so that depending on the number of colours used to print them are the same as much as possible so that they can run on a certain press, either 4 or more colours, 2 colours (blk and a spot colour), or black and white. It wouldn't make sense to mix a whole lot of black and white in with one 4 colour ad forcing it to run on a 4 colour press which costs a whole lot more money! One way that colour ads can be mixed in with black and white is to run one side of the signature on a 4 colour press and the other side on a black press but all of this requires a great deal of experience and knowledge to plan it all out. Of course black ink runs for all the signatures so you can mix them up a little bit but more often than not the colour ends up in the front so that the reader opens the book to a colourful eyecatching makes-them-wanna-read-it part rather than boring black and white, it's a quick and easy way to plan without a lot of thought and bother. It is NOT that I am saying an ad can't be VERY attractive in black and white
default_biggrin.png
As a designer and also as a horse person on a budget I find black and white not only appealing financially but it can certainly be eyecatching as well. Anyway, just thought if you understood the mechanics of a book's makeup it might help!

Latest posts

Back