Just got a pair of new goats, any advice?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christina_ski

Reaction score
Got these 2 as a birthday present to myself this year. Have always wanted pygmy goats, but had never had the oppurtunity to buy a pair. The buck is a 5 month old tiny cute super friedly palomino, he still has horns. And the other is buckskin mostly white, de budded 6 month old. He wasn't too friendly when I got him but he warmed up to me quickly when he realized I meant food lol. And he is quite a bit larger then the other, but he gets bossed around. I gave him a place he can jump to to get away from the little guy if he bothers him too much. He appreciated it lol. Oh their names are Twinkie and Oreo.

They get along great and have been raised together since Twinky was a month old (i just got them last week on thursday), and are now in there pen with lots of grass. They get goat grain in the morning and it lasts all day. And fresh water. I know they need a salt/mineral block and will be getting them one soon.

Also, I thought about maybe starting to breed, as they do quite well in our area. But wasn't sure what all it entailed. I know alot of people raise them as bottle babies (thats what the buck is) I wouldn't even try to till spring. There is a yearly goat/sheep breeders auction that we went to last year and they had alot of nice stock (I wasn't buying at the time)

Anyone here have pics of there pygmys? Have you ever seen a palomino colored one? He is the first I have seen. And any and all advice is welcome
default_smile.png

Christina

Hi
default_saludando.gif
I love the names! I have never seen a palomino colored pygmy but I have seen light caramel colored ones- maybe he's a lighter variation? I think there's a color chart on the pygmy registry website. I have some pygmies and some pieces of advice I can offer are these: bucks can breed as early as 4 months- so you have to separate bucklings and doelings; pygmies can breed year-round- not just once a year-very prolific; gestation is 145-155 days, give or take a few sleeplees nights. I do have pics of mine that I can post, if you are interested, but I'd really love to see your new guys.
default_smile.png

edited to add:Happy Birthday!

Last edited by a moderator:
They are such cute animals! My advice is to have the buck neutured / wethered. They stink SO BAD if not fixed!

Yup, they surely do STINK!!

The buck is likely to get quite aggressive with the wether once he gets his does, so be prepared to keep him separate. I have once had a buck get along with a wether, but he was definately the exception, not the rule.

IF you decide to raise them, unless you don't mind the kids being eaten...be very careful of who you sell them to.
default_sad.png
I raised goaties for a few years, both pygmy and pygmy/fainter crosses; but raised mine as pets only...not for the table.

Don't ever let anyone "play-fight" with the kids, it teaches them to butt...and that is never a good thing.
default_laugh.png

He is already showing breeding behavior and he does pee on his front legs but he really doesn't stink. I am still debating on it, whether to bred or not. Will probably make a choice after Nationals. I will also post pics after Nationals, would today but am in the middle of laundry and packing and its starting to rain
default_new_shocked.gif
They are very tho, I know alot thats bought around here (pygmy wise) is pets, alot do raise the meat/dairy goats around here as well. I think they are called Boers??

Anywho, thanks for the advice, would love to see pics of your goats
default_smile.png

He is already showing breeding behavior and he does pee on his front legs but he really doesn't stink.
But...he is only five months old. He will also urinate on his face and beard...and yes...he will stink...honest...he will.
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png

I still have my old pygmy doe; she is around 15-16 years old now, and still rules the barn-yard.
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

Back