Just an idea for AMHA

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My own personal opinion (not to reflect that of the AMHA or any other members) is that I would like to see the books closed, and then allow any offspring of TWO AMHA parents to be AMHA no matter the size of that offspring. If they go over 34", they can only be used as breeding stock and limit the shows to 34" and under horses.

This would work for me!

Me too. Then maybe the market for these horses would be better. Even well bred horses are hard to sell these days. I don't breed horses that are poor conformation but I can't afford to breed good conformation horses to sell for $200 either. So next year, we probably just won't breed any at all.

I also have to wonder why AMHA is considering closing the registry when there is such opposition at voting meetings to accepting any kind of "breeding stock" appendix or anything for those horses that go over 34". Just closing the registry doesn't make it a "breed" registry, it's still a size registry. Seems to me that is just limiting even more the number of horses (and money) coming into the registry.

I really enjoy these discussions and seeing others views on the matter. Comparing the two registrys with one another is like comparing apples and oranges. Each a wonderful fruit but offer something different for its members and that should be aprreciated rather than complained about. I had not heard that AMHA was soon to try and become a breed...what a wonderful undertaking. I definitely understand the reasoning behind it and I hope others do also. I see many AMHR people going the direction of the Miniature Shetlands so I do think it is time to become a breed for the 34" and under miniature. There is nothing wrong at all for the two different registrys to go their own route and doing what they think is best for them. I am glad to hear that AMHA is in the black and striving to do their best for miniature horses and their members. I certainly would be for allowing those who have outdated AMHA papers to get them brought up to date at a reduced fee. Yes, it would help the people but most of all it would help the horses and AMHA. I hope those who want it will take the time to present it to AMHA. I have a feeling that one of the biggest reason for people to have dropped out of AMHA is because the cost and time it takes for doing the DNA. I really expect AMHR to become serious enought about the horses that they to will be requiring it.....unless those at the table don't want to make extra costs for themselves. I think both registry could become more efficient at taking care of paperwork but I have been lucky and it has only been AMHR that has wanted more money from me. Yes I do like to get a good value for my money because I don't have it to throw away....I also know that as long as I want to have registered horses I will also have to pay for them. Mary

I think there is a thought in there about having "breeding stock" if the registry is closed and made a breed registry. Many breed registrys also have size limits and that doesn't stop them from being a breed. I think breed sets type and I would think that is what AMHA is considering...could be wrong but from what I have heard that is what is in mind. I think we need to hear more from AMHA on their thoughts to the matter so we can understand fully the reasons behind things. Guessing at things only causes confusion. Mary

I also have to wonder why AMHA is considering closing the registry when there is such opposition at voting meetings to accepting any kind of "breeding stock" appendix or anything for those horses that go over 34". Just closing the registry doesn't make it a "breed" registry, it's still a size registry. Seems to me that is just limiting even more the number of horses (and money) coming into the registry.

default_yes.gif
: Oakgrove, I have only been with AMHA for about 4 years. I wasn't aware of the survey last year. For some reason I haven't received any of the mail outs about the voting on anything with AMHA. Duh me maybe I forgot to check a box on some form. How would one go about submitting an idea to one of the committees?? Please remember too that there are an awful lot of members that cannot afford to attend the annual meetings,but they do want to contribute to both AMHA and the breed itself. I too think that their should be an amnesty period to bring up paperwork. Mine paperwork is all up to date right now, so I am not referring to myself here. Several others have mentioned problems stemming not from laziness but from money and medical issues that caused their paperwork problems. There are as many reasons as there are people and a price break on some things would help a lot for them. That in turn would help AMHA even more. Can it be done ?? How??? Inquiring minds want to know
default_yes.gif
:

Thanks,

Cheryl

Oakgrove (sorry dont know your real name!)

Thanks so much for posting. I do understand why hardshipping wasnt lowered. And please keep in mind I am not talking about changing fees. Just doing away with the penalities for a year.

I guess im confused because I dont understand how doing away with late fees would reduce hardshipping fees?? To me they are two seperate issues.

My idea is way back on page one. But to reiterate all I am saying is have an amnesty period of say one year where AMHA will not enforce any late charges. This will encourage people to bring their papers up to date and rejoin AMHA.

Anyway it was just a thought as I do know doing this has been successful in other registries and businesses

Oops something else i forgot. Right now amha is doing the reduced membership fee (which i totally agree with) So was that voted on by all the members?? So would my idea have to be voted in by all the members and then take 2 years to go into affect?

Thanks!

Kay
]
As the rule book currently reads "The Board of Directors shall have the power and authority to make, amend,....including but not limited to the setting and collection of dues and fees, (excepting registration fees)..."

Currently the cost to register a horse over 24 months is $60 (mare or stallion) and $10 (gelding). The hardship costs are 10 times this amount for a mare, 20 times this cost for a stallion, and 50 times this cost for a gelding. The Board can not change these prices it must be done by the membership. This is why if you lower the cost for a period of time it would include all horses being hardshipped as well.

The Board is allowed to change all other fees and that is how we were able to lower some memberships (this program is in effect until the end of 2007).

default_yes.gif
: Oakgrove, I have only been with AMHA for about 4 years. I wasn't aware of the survey last year. For some reason I haven't received any of the mail outs about the voting on anything with AMHA. Duh me maybe I forgot to check a box on some form. How would one go about submitting an idea to one of the committees?? Please remember too that there are an awful lot of members that cannot afford to attend the annual meetings,but they do want to contribute to both AMHA and the breed itself. I too think that their should be an amnesty period to bring up paperwork. Mine paperwork is all up to date right now, so I am not referring to myself here. Several others have mentioned problems stemming not from laziness but from money and medical issues that caused their paperwork problems. There are as many reasons as there are people and a price break on some things would help a lot for them. That in turn would help AMHA even more. Can it be done ?? How??? Inquiring minds want to know
default_yes.gif
:

Thanks,

Cheryl
There is a rule change form online at www.amha.org. You can fill it out and send it in to the office. If you are wanting to add input and not a rule change then the committee chairs are listed on the website as well. Some of these people will be changing in a couple of weeks but if you would like to send something now, I am sure that most of the chairs will not have a problem forwarding on anything they receive to the new chair. I heard from many committees that they would like ideas and suggestions from the membership. We are all trying to make this a better organization and want to know how the members feel. If you have any input on retaining members or ways to allow for absentee balloting please send me an email at [email protected].

I very seldom put my two cents in on any the forum topics - but this one I can not let go by. I have never had any difficulty at all with getting paperwork out of AMHA. The office has always been helpful either by email or phone, My problems have always been with AMHR. And, at least AMHA will do business with you if you are not a member (at a higher cost of course), AMHR will not. I sell my foals AMHA registered and with an AMHR breeders certificate.

please please this isnt an amha vs amhr thread!

oakgrove i guess im still confused (sorry!) I dont want to change the prices. Just do away with penalties for late transfers and late temp to perm. This would have nothing to do with the registration fees for a new foal. So instead of doubling the price for a late temp to perm stallion (or mare) it would just be the regular price.

I guess this would still be too hard to do. I just thought it was something that could be done simply like temporarily reducing the membership fee.

Thanks for explaining!

Kay, don't give up on it if it is something you believe in. Where there is a will there is a way and I think if AMHA looks at it and sees how it will help they can find the right way to initiate it. My paper work is up to date and I wouldn't benefit from it but I would like to see if it wuld benefit AMHA. Mary

oakgrove i guess im still confused (sorry!) I dont want to change the prices. Just do away with penalties for late transfers and late temp to perm. This would have nothing to do with the registration fees for a new foal. So instead of doubling the price for a late temp to perm stallion (or mare) it would just be the regular price.

I guess this would still be too hard to do. I just thought it was something that could be done simply like temporarily reducing the membership fee.

Thanks for explaining!

OK ! Only people that are not AMHA members. (Just doing away with the penalities for a year)

Put up a Poll & ask would this bring you back to AMHA, if there was no penalty, also add your name.

This could help, if it is for all or for just a few?
default_wink.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for explaining!
What you are talking about is not the late fee for initial registration of a foal but for transfers and temp to perm. If that is correct then you are right it would not effect as much. This change would still have to be voted on by the membership which only meets in February. I will send this suggestion to the membership committee and see what they think about it.

Aww darn then I barely missed it. I really do appreciate all your help and ideas. Thank you for taking the time and for letting the membership committee know

Kay

I have been a member of AMHA and AMHR since 1993. I have never had any problem with AMHA getting my papers. I do them every year and I KEEP THEM UP I do them on time and then there is not problem with late fees. They give you 4 months to get your foals application in it then is the same as AMHR $20.00.I DNA test the year that I breed the mare. That way it is done before the foal is born. It save you time getting your foals papers.If a go over I send in their papers. I breed for the smaller minis. I like to keep my breed stock at around 32" that way I don't have many horses go.If I make a mistake AMHA are very good about helping me get them right. I think if you keep them up they are not anymore expensive the AMHR is except for the DNA testing.

Too bad you didn't come up with this idea a week ago so that it could have been brought up at the National Meeting last weekend. This might have been something that the membership would have voted throught. By the way from all the committe reports including membership and fincial- the AMHA membership numbers are on the rise and the AMHA is very financially sound, with money in the bank.

Actually something like this can probably be put to a vote at the June meeting in Dallas as well. It couldn't hurt to ask thats for sure. You would have plenty of time to get information together like how many people would actually rejoin AMHA to get a reduced fee for a short period of time. How many would continue their memberships if AMHA did try this at least for a few months. Things that will give solid evidence that what you are proposing is worth it to AMHA, but also know that I believe you have to be an AMHA member to put anything to the board, so you might get someone that is already a member to work with you on it.

It never hurts to ask anyway.

I proposed this last year and was blown off. But, you never know, new board, different members at the meetings, you just never know.

Minimom, the June meeting is just the board and committees. Members are welcome to attend and observe but they don't meet and vote like they do in February.

I liked the idea, Judy has an arab that she never got around to registering, and at the age of 4 the fees were going to be just nightmarish. Along came this amnesty program and she got her mare registered for the regular foal fee. This is a horse that probably would never have been registered but is thanks to this program.

Dang thats too bad that you didnt get a better response. Im so sleep deprived id probably mess it up but maybe someone good with polls could put one up that is a poll only (no comments) asking the following

do you have amha paperwork that is late (yes or no) this way we could count If you answered yes go to question 2

would you update your paperwork and update your membership if you didnt have to pay late fees (yes or no)

this way no one has to know who is posting.

Okay, I am possibly over looking something since I just do not "get it" with this post. I don't understand why someone would think AMHA should take away the incentives to file and update registrations and memberships on time??? We all have equal opportunities to do these things when they are due.

AMHA should take away the incentives to file and update registrations and memberships on time???
The reduced membership fee has been ongoing for months and as I read will stay in effect until 12/31/07

Is that an incentive to redo your membership late?? No. Its an incentive to renew or become a member! Good business in my opinion. And remember that wasnt my idea LOL. Somebody else put that one through

From the AMHA people I have talked with the push right now is to get more people joining amha and more people that used to be members back.

Obviously my idea is not unique. Jody along with some others had already thought of it too. And as pointed out it has worked well for other registries.

I still do not get the issue. Maybe I'm having a blonde moment :bgrin

If everything's done "on time" there's not an issue. (???) Why not just do it on time for now on?

I still do not get the issue. Maybe I'm having a blonde moment :bgrin

If everything's done "on time" there's not an issue. (???) Why not just do it on time for now on?
Jill the issue is .. and no I am not bashing AMHA someone asked..

many people have left AMHA due to past issues they have had, in the office, with paperwork and financially -since these issues have been fixed and addressed at AMHA new members and those that stayed are experienceing better customer service.

however that does not bring back the hundreds if not thousands ( i dont have the numbers) of horses out there that have AMHA papers and were not brought perm and memberships not renewed due to the years there were issues.

I for one have tons of AMHA papers here that I never brought perm or reg foals from as I am not a member of AMHA anymore. For me personally I dont know that I would do anything with them Amnesty or not so this isnt about me personally just trying to help you understand

Other registires have held an amnesty period to allow those who were not happy and left for whatever reason (talking more then just a few) to come back and register the foals they had in the interm that were elegible, bring paperwork up to date and join again. This not only brought in extra money but brought back thsoe that were not happy and gave them a chance to see the new registry customer service and positive changes that had been made

this is not about pleasing a few disgruntled people it is about the registry (the way I understand it ) saying hey we realize there were issues we have worked on them things are so much better now come give us a try once again we think you will be pleased with what we have done and where we are going.

It is not about late paperwork it is about regaining a customer base that they lost that is of course sending paperwork and registering horses somewhere so they are viable clients that could just as easily go back to AMHA

This isnt about being an incentive to do paperwork on time this is someone suggesting a say 6 month period where all paperwork can be brought up, memberships renewed, no penalties to increase there membership, increase there happy client base and bring back some of those papered horses into the registry

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back