Just an idea for AMHA

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was on top of our paperwork for several years, but doing as little breeding as we do, I let a couple temp. to permanents slip. I think that and hardshipping is where it hurts the most, but I understand the mentality behind high hardshipping fees (except for geldings). Honestly, I don't expect amnesty for that, and we'll gladly pay the fees to keep them double registered, but I can see your point, and obviously a return of lost members and registrations couldn't hurt the registry. Maybe they could offer an amnesty discount for paperwork that exceeds a set $ total and is excessively overdue--in other words, to extreme cases where it is clear they would probably not otherwise reclaim that business.

Personally, I don't believe in "rewarding" someone for having a hissy fit by allowing them to get their paperwork up to date for a reduced rate.....'dems da rules. The vast majority are willing to play by them. And if I screw up and turn in paperwork late, I fully expect to pay the late fees. My mistake...I pay. If I didn't like the cost of bringing them up to date, I shouldn't have screwed up in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I don't believe in "rewarding" someone for having a hissy fit by allowing them to get their paperwork up to date for a reduced rate.....'dems da rules. The vast majority are willing to play by them. And if I screw up and turn in paperwork late, I fully expect to pay the late fees. My mistake...I pay. If I didn't like the cost of bringing them up to date, I shouldn't have screwed up in the first place.

Personally, I wouldn't look at it as paying someone to have a hissy fit. It is more like rewarding AMHA in the long run, with a second chance, and thus giving way to increased revenue for the Association.

increased revenue for the Association.
I have not understood AMHA's attempts with this since the issue first came up. I am a bookkeeper and my husband and I both own a jewelry store in a small town. If for any reason a store of any kind, Wal-mart all the way down to small businesses like us, anytime you want to increase revenue you decrease prices and have a sale. If you are wanting to increase revenue you give people something a little extra for their money, not just take more money from them for the same product? :eek: It is very frustrating to watch.

I am an AMHA member, I do want to see them continue to thrive. On another thread I mentioned another way to raise revenue, but this is a way also. It would not meet my needs (oh well) but it is a step in a better direction. This is just my opinion.

I haven't had a problem with the AMHA or AMHR fees. I let some AMHA's get out of date, and got them current though I do not remember thinking it was a "big" expense. Since we can all see what the fees are, maybe that should serve as incentive not to let things get out of date, since "we" have the control of letting it become more expensive due to aging paperwork. We all know (or can learn) the rules, so it's really an even playing field, no secrets, and I do not feel fees should be waived or exceptions made.

AMHA needs to look at other horse association's like AQHA to see how and why they are so successful.I know first hand that their membership is affordable and that they do work and will listen to you.They want you as a member and have done some changes as far as allowing color into the association.Losing too many nice horses to APHA and money because of it.So AMHA look to others and work with your people.Some of the nicest horse people I have met.
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:

First, I would like to say that AMHA is not in financial trouble. We are in the black, all loans are paid off, the building is fully paid for, and we did show a profit in 2006.

The budget for 2007 is tight due to a large cash outlay for the new computer system. BUT, it still shows a profit, a small profit, but a profit all the same.

As for the amnesty program, why doesn't one of you submit that suggestion to the membership committee? The contact info is in your Horse world.

As for redicing the price of hardshipping, it was briefly discussed, and will not be done.

More and more the talk is towards closing the books totally and becoming a breed registry rather than a height. I know some people will disagree with this, after all, if you have a donkey you can register it as a donkey, right? Well we are talking species registry vs a breed registry. Miniature horses fall in the species category of horse, and the breed is (or should be) miniature horse.

My own personal opinion (not to reflect that of the AMHA or any other members) is that I would like to see the books closed, and then allow any offspring of TWO AMHA parents to be AMHA no matter the size of that offspring. If they go over 34", they can only be used as breeding stock and limit the shows to 34" and under horses.

off to put on my fire retardant suit......

I think you guys are looking at the small picture instead of the big picture. If you take me out of the equation and look at all the other people with amha papers sitting in a desk somewhere that have never been updated I do believe its a rather large number. Im just being honest about why i did it where most people wont post that because they dont want to take the heat. There are a lot of different reasons why someone would be late doing papers. We are all human and we all make mistakes just like amha makes mistakes (and amhr)

I do want to clarify the last big hassle i had with amha i was not late!!! But I was told I had to pay a late fee because amha held my papers for almost a year. Then i turned in papers and paid the expedite fee and it still took months to get my papers back. That was the straw that broke kays back lol.

The only reason I am thinking of doing it again is because I do believe Ronnie when he says that AMHA wants to better and that paperwork is no longer taking 6 months to get back etc.

Its in my best interest for BOTH registries to be financially sound and doing well. What I am talking about is a technique used by many companies either for financial reasons (to get members back and money flowing in) or like the IRS to get people back into the fold.

It must have worked for the Arabian association?

The Arabian Horse Association has ran amnestry periods a couple of times in the last few years. It brought in a lot of revenue and brought a lot of registration papers up to date!

Kay....you're definitely not alone in having overdue paperwork!! I may have no other skills whatsoever, but I am the world's best procrastinator!!
default_wacko.png
: I have several transfers that need to be done for AMHA. One of these horses I've owned for almost 2 years!!! Gotta get it done!!I know the additional fees are nobody's fault but my own. I would love a temporary amnesty period to get everybody up to date. Why not have a sale on transfers, new registrations, etc? Overall, I'm sure it would generate more revenue then all those papers sitting in a drawer somewhere never getting done.

I don't think I'm missing the entire picture. Late fees and penalties are an incentive to file paperwork on time! It's not as if members don't know (or can easily find out) what the fees to do such things are on time, and how much it costs if they drop the ball for whatever reason.

Well I guess this is a non issue ..apparently AMHA is doing great financially and doesnt really "NEED" to increase membership or try and lure back the members that it has lost. I guess it is a not a front burner issue at this point as they have what they need to continue to go on succesfully

There will always be the argument as to which one is better, which one is legitimate, different ways that there are around DNA and PQ, and paperwork and height issues everyone can go round and round yet obviously the proof for each of us is in the pudding and we support the one/ones we feel confident in

Kay it was a good idea that has worked for other registries that felt they needed to get those members back and obviously those involved in AMHA dont feel there is a need for that at this time

but I guess when and if the need for new members and or regaining old members arises someone will bring it up again.
default_yes.gif
:

To me there are a lot more costs to owning a horse than affording the paperwork. One of my favorite sayings is "if you can't afford the gasoline then don't buy the car"........................I personally feel there is TOO much breeding going on .... If closing the registry, keeping the fees high ( according to some people) etc will reduce this overproducing of horses then I am all for it..................... It is a fact of life, the cheaper the item to own, the more there are.. I drive a 1999 Mercury - My friend has a BMW - I can't expect the price of a BMW to be lowered so I can have one just like hers.

I never said AMHA doesn't want to increase membership or to bring back those that have been alientated. The membership committee is to be looking into that, and that is why I suggested that those who want an amnesty program suggest it to that committee. I for one am also a procrastinator and would benefit from such a program, but heck, it is my fault my paperwork is not in order, up to me to fix the problem.

The gal in charge of registration said they are now getting paperwork done within two weeks so they have improved.

We absolutely do need to grow the organization.

What a lot of people on this board seem to not get is that you, the members ARE AMHA and the rules and registration fees are set by the MEMBERSHIP, not the office, not the board, not the executive committee. We can make suggestions and proposals, but it is up to the membership to vote on these issues and decide.

And, before you get upset over voting, the membership committee is looking into alternatives for those who cannot attend.

Jody I didnt mean that you said you didnt want any new membership

I was just saying that this isnt a huge issue say as it might have been a couple of years ago during the height of the financial issues is all

I personally feel there is TOO much breeding going on .... If closing the registry, keeping the fees high ( according to some people) etc will reduce this overproducing of horses then I am all for it..................... It is a fact of life, the cheaper the item to own, the more there are..
I guess this is where there is a lot of disagreement. I do not feel the same way you do. There are always going to be overbreeding and I don't think the mass majority is by people who are worried about papers alot. There are people out there buying and breeding the cheap horse and those buyers are not really worried about papers. I had a lady contact me the other day wanting a filly for around $100 to $150. I told her good luck, and the thing is she has already bought at that price.

My own personal opinion (not to reflect that of the AMHA or any other members) is that I would like to see the books closed, and then allow any offspring of TWO AMHA parents to be AMHA no matter the size of that offspring. If they go over 34", they can only be used as breeding stock and limit the shows to 34" and under horses.

This would work for me!

My two cents - I would not object to a one time amnesty period to bring AMHA paperwork current. Whatever your individual reasons for being behind may be, AMHA has had some difficult years and has alienated some folks. This might be a way to bring members back in and put some hard feelings to rest, as well as bringing in funds for AMHA. I know I have sold a number of horses that have never been transfered for whatever reasons, some were pets and it didn't matter to the owners, some just haven't gotten it done and maybe an amnesty would be incentive to take care of it. It does become a financial issue if you let it go for long, esp with multiple horses.

My 30 plus horses are all double registered, I've been dealing with both registries for over 10 years and have yet to have a major problem with either. There have been times both have been slow to respond (but never 6 months!). Usually it's been at peak times of the year for them when everyone is sending in papers and they are backlogged. It DOES get expensive to do all the required paperwork, no question. But I still think it is to my benefit to do so. I spent a year getting all of my AMHA horses registered R before they added a penalty fee to that, and we were doing very little with AMHR at the time but it just made sense to get it done.

Jan

Edited to add, I so agree with this !

My own personal opinion (not to reflect that of the AMHA or any other members) is that I would like to see the books closed, and then allow any offspring of TWO AMHA parents to be AMHA no matter the size of that offspring. If they go over 34", they can only be used as breeding stock and limit the shows to 34" and under horses

I am the chairman of the AMHA membership committee. We do care and we do want to grow our membership. We have worked hard on this. I would like to give you some of the information we had when making some of our decisions.

In 2004 we had 11106 members, in 2005 we had 12090 (the most in AMHA history), and in 2006 we had 11829 members. We believe that there is an accounting reason for some of the drop this year.

We have looked into all of these ideas. ONLY the membership can change registration fees and remember that if you create an amnesty program for horses passed 2 years this will also lower hardship fees all over the world as they are set as 10, 20, and 50 times that amount.

There was an idea to lower these fees at this meeting but the general feeling was that the members present were not in favor of allowing a lot of horses to be hardshipped in while we are considering closing the registry.

One of the factor that went into this decision was the results of the online survey that the AMHA conducted last year. It was up for the entire year and was advertised many times.

One of the questions was "Please rate the current fee structure of the AMHA."

When it came to registration costs it said "Registration Fees $10- $100".

The rusults were:

Too High 29%

Just Right 67%

Too Low 1%

N/A 3%

As you can see most of those answered that the fees were just right. They did believe that Hardship was to high 61%, but that requires a bylaw change to change.

As was stated the membership committee is looking into ways to try to have some voting for those who are not present. We will be working on this very hard this year. If you have input to help us work this out please email me. It will take some time to make it all happen but we will be trying to see if we can accomplish it. We have some big hurdles to cross.

Oakgrove (sorry dont know your real name!)

Thanks so much for posting. I do understand why hardshipping wasnt lowered. And please keep in mind I am not talking about changing fees. Just doing away with the penalities for a year.

I guess im confused because I dont understand how doing away with late fees would reduce hardshipping fees?? To me they are two seperate issues.

My idea is way back on page one. But to reiterate all I am saying is have an amnesty period of say one year where AMHA will not enforce any late charges. This will encourage people to bring their papers up to date and rejoin AMHA.

Anyway it was just a thought as I do know doing this has been successful in other registries and businesses

Oops something else i forgot. Right now amha is doing the reduced membership fee (which i totally agree with) So was that voted on by all the members?? So would my idea have to be voted in by all the members and then take 2 years to go into affect?

Thanks!

Kay

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back