Just An FYI: New Prevenile West Nile Vaccine

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharmedMinis

Reaction score
I just thought I would share.

I vaccinated my herd with the new Merial Prevenile West Nile Vaccine last week.

My herd includes 15 Minis and 4 big horses. Age of minis is 10 months to 24 years (geldings, stallions, and mares).

NONE of my horses had any reactions what-so-ever. I gave half the shots in the butt muscle, and the other half of the horses got it in their neck.

[SIZE=18pt]Thanks Lindsey! :aktion033: :aktion033: [/SIZE]

That's good to know!

Bill

I got mine from Heartland Vet Supply in 5 dose vials. They don't have it listed on their site but it's in their catalog, you have to call for price. Going by memory I think I paid $19 per shot or there abouts.

That's great news! May I ask why you divided the shot into 2 injection sites rather than using only one?

Has anyone else used only the neck site, and if so, any reactions noted??

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the information! I didn't use that one this year, but maybe I will next year.

Also, just for others, I think this is a WNV that requires just one dose when you first give it, vs. two doses w/ the other brands.

Mona--

I'm sorry, I didn't state that very well. What I meant was that I gave half my herd the shot in the neck, and the other half of the herd got it in the butt.

I have some hores that won't tolerate injections in the butt
default_rolleyes.gif
: So I gave it in the neck, and had no neck soreness.

I got no reactions from either injection site in any of the horses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mona--

I'm sorry, I didn't state that very well. What I meant was that I gave half my herd the shot in the neck, and the other half of the herd got it in the butt.

I have some hores that won't tolerate injections in the butt
default_rolleyes.gif
: So I gave it in the neck, and had no neck soreness.

I got no reactions from either injection site in any of the horses.
:new_rofl: Sorry about that! I guess I misunderstood...Must have been having a BLONDE moment! :eek: :bgrin

You weren't the only one who read it that way, Mona. I thought the same thing :bgrin It's nice to know that it went well with your herd, Lindsey.

Prevenile is made by Intervet. I have the shots in my fridge to give this week. I got mine from Agri meds. You must call and ask, for some reason Intervet isn't allowing the on line catalogs to show it. I asked the girl and she didn't know why, only that they had to remove it from their site.

Robin

for some reason Intervet isn't allowing the on line catalogs to show it. I asked the girl and she didn't know why, only that they had to remove it from their site.
Wish I'd known that a week or so ago. I looked in all the catalogs, no one showed it so I bought the Ft Dodge vaccine locally. Have had no issues with it, but it is twice a year.

Jan

Jan --

I am not sure, but I think the Prevenile vaccine is also 2x a year in places with heavy infestation, but when dealing with a horse who's never been vaccinated for it before, they are protected w/ the first shot, vs. needing "booster" a month or so later like with other brands. I think that's what I read.

Jill

I asked my vet and the Merial vets about the 2 times a year thing.. we had ALOT of cases of WN here last year in fact I think our state was leading the nation in human cases :new_shocked: and horses were getting it left and right I remember in one weekend at my vets he saw like 12 horses that had contracted it.. SCARY

but all of that aside he seemed to feel that if I vaccinated now they should be fine with just the one vaccine of Merial thru the season?

We've used Prevenile as well, and not had any problems either, but I never had a problem with Ft Dodge's brand either. However, I do like just giving the one shot that Prevenile requires!!

Just ordered some today! I like the fact you only have to give one shot..........with all are rain the mosquitos are already terrible.

Latest posts

Back