Just a vent about life I guess.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mydaddysjag

Reaction score
Recently there have been some unexpected things go on, and theres been a drastic lifestyle change for hubby an I. In the spring we moved out to a nice small house in the town my husband grew up in. We were only renting, because our future goal is to buy some land with a fixer upper house, or room for a modular home, and build a small barn for my horse addiction. Well, soon after moving into this home we both became ill, and hubby was off of work for medical leave from July until october. That still left me working, but I was ill also, and finally I got extremely sick and actually thought I was having a heart attack or something. Ended up I had a illness where the muscles in your chest around your sternum and rubs smell up. I was on medical leave for a while for this. While on medical leave hubby and I BOTH got fired from work. There are shady details behind this, and im in the process of trying to get unemployment. Hubby has found a new job, but it pays minimum wage, and he gets around 12 hours a week. Theory is little money is better than no money. In october, two weeks before our wedding the landlord's called to tell us that they were selling the house and we would need to move out (we had a month to month lease). We couldn't find any decent apartments in our area for under $600 a month, so we are now renting an apartment in my parents basement. When we turned in our keys on October 29th we had the landlord sign a paper that everything was in the same condition as when we moved in and that the house was satisfactorily cleaned. We also wrote down our new address, and were told we would receive our $900 security deposit in the mail within a month. Now, its december 13th. Im still not working, Hubby is still working for min wage and very little hours. We have not received our security deposit, they wont answer the phone, and they wont sign for the certified letter I send them which is a formal demand letter for my security deposit. Now, Hubby and I didn't have health insurance so we have over $7,000 in medical bills, and no way to pay them. I have recently found out that what was wrong with us and classic signs of black mold poisoning, and when we moved out of the house we went into the old coal room in the basement (I never went into it, because it had a gravel floor, smelled bad, and had spider webs that were supposed to be cleaned up before we moved it. Well, the landlord said theyd come and clean them but all they did was throw moth balls in there. I hung a shower curtain over the door, and avoided the room. Well when we were moving we checked to make sure we didn't have anything in there, and ends up there was black mold in there. The two houses next to us were full of black mold as well. We are 20 years old and get calls from credit agencies... During our wedding we ran out of money, and needed $100 for marriage license, and to pay for the officiant. We didn't have it, so I made the mistake of taking it out of my Avon money. I figured I would have my security deposit back by the time I had to pay avon, and all would be well. Well, now I get letters from avons credit agency too. It's not that I don't want to pay them back, its that I literally now have $4 to my name, so I don't even have the money to pay payments. I owe my horse board also, and luckily the woman where I keep my horses knows my situation, and isn't freaking out. I'm going to talk to her and see if maybe I can clean some stalls for her to work off some of my board. Origionally I was supposed to be getting a new mini this winter or early spring, but thats now on hold until this is all taken care of.

My car is nearly undriveable, it needs $700 worth of work (something like brakes, rotors, calibers, ball joints, and struts)

Along with this I have a sleeping disorder called narcolepsy, which my medication is over $400 a month, and since we have no insurance and I have no income I have been without medication for a while, and I now have hubby drive me where I need to go, because Im afraid to drive.

Needless to say, horses are for sale, my iMac computer is for sale, and reasonably priced for the type of computer it is. I reduced my asking price to $500, and the ad says FIRM, but im still getting offers for $200. Part of me wants to take the $200, but it wont pay off my horse board, so Im trying to hold out until someone who realizes its worth $700 see's it.

So maybe for christmas this year you could pray for me and my hubby that our unfortunate situation gets better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you need some prayer and a lot of it. Your story just breaks my heart. You both have been hit by REALLY hard times and it sounds like both your backs are agains't the wall and you have no way of getting out. BUT you do. It will be a slow process and like you said you may have to sell some things in order to get out but hopefully you'll bounce back. I will pray for you. Being sick is NO fun, being with out jobs is never easy and having to HAVE medication and NOT having the money is rough. One suggestion is to call the drug company and find out if they have a program that offers the drug free to people that can't afford it. Some drug company's do, do that. I know when I was single and I had no money and I needed a certain medication I just had to pay for the shipping and they sent me the medication. My other suggestion is to take your old landlord to small claims court when you get a couple of $$$ in your pocket. It doesn't cost that much and it certaintly is worth it. YOU deserve your money back, don't let him bully you like that. That, or you could show up at his door step and see what he say's also, if you haven't already tried that.

Pray about your computer and ask God to send you the right person to come along and buy your computer for the right price, maybe they will. I really empathize with your situation and hope your can get things straightened out in the near future. Hang in there and God Bless. The one POSTIVE thing out of all this, is you have each other and for that it is a blessing. With out love and each other you have nothing. Times may be tough you may not have much but loving each other and having each other to walk through it with is something that can't be taken away. Hold on tight to each other and you will make it. Take care, TJ

Good Heavens! That is rough! I would vent too.

Like Taylor Jo, take the bum of a landlord to small claims for your deposit. And then take him to court for having an unfit house that got you guys sick and caused you to lose wages and rack up medical bills. My prayers go out to you and your hubby.

We're planning to take them to small claims court. We wont have money to hire an attorney, but since I have receipts for everything we've ever paid (I paid the security deposit with a money order, and I have canceled checks for everything else) So I'm hoping that we will be ok without an attorney. I'm pretty sure most of my family members are giving me $ for chirstmas, so I should have the $81 to file in small claims court. Whats sickening is they told me that the landlords can drag everything out, and I might end up having to a different kind of court, and in the end they could pay me $5 a month for the next xxx years. It's sad because we were planning to use it to pay off my horse board, avon, and put some towards fixing the car. I don't know if we could actually sue them for us being sick because we (like idiots) didnt take pictures of the black mold in the house. Even though my parents saw it when we moved, I dont think that would mean anything in court. Our doctors didn't diagnose us that we were sick from black mold poisoning, but we had all of the symptoms of it, and we're fairly healthy again now that we've been out of there for almost two months.

You need to play the cards you have been dealt. I am here to testify that you can and will get through this, one day at a time. It will happen for you but it will not be easy. It will be a long hard road of working, working, and working. Just don't give up. Sure you will have a couple of really bad spells and probably cry and stress, but don't give into it. Be strong. Find the strength and do whatever it takes if you want to get out of this mess. You and your husband will have to work really hard together mentally and physically and eventually, it will get better. Don't fight even though tensions will be high. Be a team and fight for the life you want. It will come. Big hugs.

I am so sorry to hear you are going through this. I am sure someone will buy that computer for full price, heck I would if we could figure out how to get it to me in Ohio. I have been thinking about making a switch to Apple from pc.

Best of luck to you.

Jeeze. you've got an aweful lot on your plate!!! Prayers, and lots of them, for things to turn around for you and your husband.

Thank you!

On the bright side someone is coming to look at the computer today. If they don't take it I listed it on ebay, if they do take it i can cancel the auction.

Someone is interested in my big mare, and i'm losing sleep over it. The lady is looking for a beginners horse. She doesn't seem to know a lot about horses, she got 2 horses a few months ago and has them at her boyfriends farm. She didn't ask much about the mare, and doesn't have a vet or farrier reference. On the bright side she is taking riding lessons from someone, and wanted to bring that person with her to see the horse because the last horse she bought is 17 years old, and was sold as beginner safe, however he threw her once. I keep envisioning my mare in a few years when she needs full retirement not getting the retirement she deserves, or somehow making her way to an auction, etc.

It's truly breaking my heart. This is that once in a lifetime horse I promised as a kid that I would always take care of and never sell.

Please stay strong and keep the faith. No matter how bad things may get or how desperate the siuation with no end in sight, ALL things, good, bad, horrendous, happen for a reason in God's timing. The best miracles happen when you are flat on your back with no hope, that's when up is the only place to go. I am keeping you in my prayers, He knows more than we ever could, you must trust Him in EVERYTHING, even the tiniest things. We are his children and He wants to give us all that we need in life, just as the birds in the field.

I'm hoping to offer encouragement to you. I can promise you that if you think positive, throw away all negative thoughts and perspectives, you will persevere. I too come from a tragic situation, having lived in my father's truck when I was four, having a child at 15. From there I went on to finish high school with honors, never having missed a day despite all I struggled with. I worked 2 jobs while in school and raising my angel of a daughter all alone, worked 3 jobs during my 4 yrs of college which I paid for myself, married an idiot that abused me, divorced (with another child by this point). All this while suffering a chronic genetic disability of Rheumotoid Arthritis in both hips and one knee (very severe in one hip), multiple chronic uterine problems leading to my soon-to-come historectomy, no health insurance at all, and a debilitating condition that causes frequent migrains. Throughout all of my sorrows, I have discovered that what goes around, comes around. I am greatful every day for my blessings instead of sad for what I don't have. I volunteer wherever possible, even if I can't afford to. I help anyone who asks, even if it brings me a step back. It always pays me back. I have beautiful healthy children and good friends to love me. Worry not what you don't have, or what you have lost. You have your life, enough health to at least be able to work, and a husband to love, and it would seem parents that love you. All is well, and it could ALWAYS be worse. Within 5 yrs I won't be able to ride any more, so I overload my riding schedule now in preparation. Enjoy riding your horses every chance you get, because tomorrow may never come.....

Latest posts

Back