Just a thought...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magnolia_dream

Reaction score
She had a pregnant mare and it lost its foal,it was stillborn and they had a heck of a time getting it out becuase it was so big. The vet told them they lost it because there was fecue grass in her pasture. Is that true? I've never heard that. I think the vet was stupid personally. I read that fescue is god for horses

I am sure you'll get lots of info from the more knowledgable but fescue is not good for pregnant mares. Sorry for your friends loss.

I'm not sure I'm the most qualified to reply (only 17)- but tall fescue is a huge problem with pregnant mares. It's not the fescue itself- but a fungus that grows on it that can cause:

prolonged gestation

abortion

premature separation of the chorion

dystocia

thickened placenta

retained placenta

aglactia

embroytic death

When did your friend's mare foal out? It was likely so big because of a prolonged gestation, and a foal that is extra big in a tiny mare would definatly result in some serious problems!

"Abortions may occur around the time the mare would be expected to foal. Mares may carry foals for 30 to 40 days longer than normal. During the prolonged gestation, the foals continue to grow and the birth is often difficult because of the size of the foal. Foals may die during a difficult birth associated with the large size of the foal. "

If you search something like fescue and mares in google you'll find a host of websites to help. Hope that helps! I know others on here have had expririence with this problem, and hopefully they'll reply.
default_smile.png

No, the vet was not stupid. Fescue is a problem in pregnant mares and was probably a contributing factor to the loss of the foal.

I don't know what you read, but keep on doing as much research as you can.

What you may be referring to is the newer types of fescue that they have developed that are not supposed to have the fungus. It is in many pasture mix seeds. Also certain parts of the country do not have a problem with the fungus. We supposedly do not in our area.

All that being said, I still buy seed that is fescue free and after 2 years of having several red bag deliveries a few years back, I now keep my pregnant mares off of pasture for the last trimester as much as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
The endophyte (which is a type of fungus) on Fescue grass is what affects pregnant mares.

Shoebox provided some good information. In addition to her list, other problems can include Red Bag births and a lack of colostrum production in the mare. We had a very scarey experience last year when we had to buy hay from a hay broker which ended up containing fescue. We had at least one abortion and a couple of mares who barely bagged up.

If you do a search on Lil Beginnings for "Fescue", you should find a lot more info, and probably some links with even more info.

MA

The vet was not stupid. One of my mares lost her foal(full term) last year because of fescue that had a fungus. It can happen and does happen.

LISTEN TO YOUR VET !! If you have Tall Fescue - that is a likely cause. And for more information - here is one source:

http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants/toxicagents/fesalk.html

Be sure to go to all of the hypertext links for the complete story.

When I was looking at properties to purchase down here - I immediately ruled out any that had an abundance of fescue because it would take me a minimum of 2 years to completely kill it off and get new pastures going.

Not only does Tall Fescue cause problems for mares that are on it in the third trimester - it can cause cattle to do poorly, get rough coats, lose their tail switches, etc.

It was not my vet. And this was a full grown horse. I had never heard of this and I think this is a good thread for people to read.

I tried not to post but lack of sleep and a ton of homework...........

First, you should NOT have called the vet stupid regardless if it is or is not YOUR vet. You don't have all the facts nor the education that a vet has to make a statement like that.

Second, a horse is a horse is a horse and fescue will effect them the same large or small.

I no that a horse is a horse. I wasn't saying that it didn't kill her faol just cause she wasn't a mini. I was just clearing up the confusion, that she wasn't a mini. I just asked a question I didn't ask for anyone to yell at me for my opinion of a vet that has misdiagnosed my mini's before. The vet's around here are not very knowlegdeable of horses as far as i've seen. Everyone just calm down. I didn't ask for a fight!

I've also read that the infected fescue can affect the fertility of a stallion.

hmmmm... man that book that i have, said that fescue grass is good for horses. This is really good to know!

The vet told them they lost it because there was fecue grass in her pasture. Is that true? I've never heard that. I think the vet was stupid personally.
When you make a statement like the one above, what do you expect?

Fescue IS very, VERY good for horses. Its one of the most complete grasses out there... high protien, high fiber, etc. Its those pesky fugi that cause the problem
default_smile.png
It is certainly treatable... many people don't have the option of removing broodmares from fescue pasture. Its nothing to panic about... but it does requre careful handling and foresight.

Fescue does not cause fertility issues in stallions.

How do you know if you have fescue in your hay. In Arizona we do not have pasture and have to feed hay year round. Would it be better to give your pregnant mare, bermuda pellets to be on the safe side?

Latest posts

Back