Jumping My Mini

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I have a mini. I've been jumping him almost 2 feet since he was 1 1/2. I didnt know about how old they had to be to start jumping them. I stopped jumping him the other day. He is now almost 3. Will this cause him to have bad legs for the rest of his life?! I love him to death and I didn't know I was hurting him! Please tell me if I have ruined his legs when he gets older! I feel so bad!

Well, I'm no expert, but they do a lot of running and jumping on their own as foals and babies. If he had room to run and play on his own, it probably wouldn't be that bad.

We didn't own him as a baby. He has and has always had pasture to run on. He always runs and rears and bucks. He jumps the logs and stuff in the field too. I just really hope I didn't hurt him.

I think you will be OK since you were jumping him lower than 2'.

Obviously you dont want to push them, but if you have escaped injury thus far, he should be fine. At three they are allowed to jump in shows and I have seen those fences near 4'. I had a huge reality check when my vet informed me that my 3 year old 31" mare jumping a 4' fence was the equivalant of a 16hh horse jumping an 8' fence. That piece of information was staggering to me!

I would keep your fences low for at least another year before you start raising them.

If it helps, my mare is 7 years old now, perfectly sound and still loves jumping. I have never had a horse who jumps with such passion! The below photo was her jumping as a 3 year old about 2'6".

babe jump.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back