Judge throws out Felony and Misdemeanor charges!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a friend that works with LAPS (large animal protection society)... She once told me that if you do not have a vet document and write up condition, vitals, etc, when you do the seizure of the animal, the judge will throw it out and send the horse back. Documentation and record is everything and photos are not adequate, must be a vet exam. Did they have a vet examine Champ before he was removed from the situation?

So sad for Champ.

Are there any Forum members who are lawyers? Was anyone in the local area able to contact the ASPCA or the local Humane Society?

Does anyone have a YouTube account who could post a video out there? This would go viral in no time......

Also, have the owners names been published? If they didn't do anything wrong, there should be no problem publishing their names.....

So, what is going to happen to Champ?

Nice. . . according to Facebook, the Sheriff's dept is resubmitting the case for the third time. It will go to the State Attorney's office and then back to Walton County and a judge to be determined. There is still hope.

A huge thank you to the Sheriff's department!!

I am too far away from Alaqua to personally help set this up but I seriously think that they need to consider placing a "LIEN" on Champ for all of the vet bills, feed and care he has received the past 2 weeks. This will be a significant amount and they will need an attorney to draft up the document and place the lien on him. Then when/if this owner is brave enough to step forward and show their face to claim him they will owe this amount before they can take him back. This will need to be a joint effort between the rescue and the Sheriffs Department which brought the animal to their care. I am uncertain what the laws are in Florida-that is why a local attorney needs to get involved ASAP if possible.

These people do not deserve to have a chance at getting him back. And who is going to monitor the situation to make sure he does not continue to deteriorate???

Good suggestion a lien on the horse for all the vet bills, care and babysitters time would be significant at this point. Much more than the actual value of Champ.

Did anyone notice in the new article that it hasn't always been Judge Green, but another judge the first time also threw out the case. Thats 2 different judges who cannot see any evidence that Champ wasn't neglected.
default_no.gif

This is truly unreal.

Can they get a vet to go talk to this judge? Someone, with authority, needs to talk seriously to him.

Would it be possible to get a fund started to buy this horse? I am sure that the price would be very high, but if we all kicked in some money, it might be done.

If someone starts a fast fund to try to buy him, let us know. I will sure kick in some. A Paypal account could be set up. Can someone find out if he could be purchased?

Anna C was referring to the Animal Welfare Act that has just been passed (well four years ago) over here. One of the things it has done is give near Police abilities to the RSPCA which, in my mind, is a mixed blessing given that they are the people who, having murdered countless "Pitbull types" then proceeded to rehome and obvious Pitbull puppy to a couple with a young baby and it turned up in my puppy class!

So, I am not actually in favour of the animal control people having any more power than they do, but I am certainly in favour of the court actually getting off it backside and enforcing the laws as they stand, instead of bending it neatly because someone that they know has been bad!

This Judge should be disbarred. To say he should do what is right, yes, dead right he should!!

He should do what is right!

Do we need to start a fund for this?

Where is Robin/Reo, she's good at organising this sort of thing, we need a fund to support him, it's fairly straightforward as any money left over can go straight to the rescue to, hopefully, continue looking after him.

A lien would slow things down, but they are virtually unprovable as no-one forced the rescue to spend all that money, they could have just had him put down (which I would do rather than return him, just say he died!)

The local NBC station has an interesting report.

http://www.wjhg.com/home/headlines/102502389.html

The wife of the owner of the neglected/abused/starved mini happens to work in the Courthouse where the Judge is located! Doesn't that bit of information just make you cringe.

The judge, the courthouse etc. are not accepting mail or emails about the situation.

The Sheriff's Office and Attorney General are re-filing charges. I do not know if that means the case will be heard in a different Court by a different judge or what.

The news media, in general, has dropped the story down there at this time.

The Sheriff's Office and Attorney General are re-filing charges. I do not know if that means the case will be heard in a different Court by a different judge or what.
I believe the judge will be picked at random. I am not sure if that means that Judge Green could end up on the case again. I sure hope not.

Cross-posting this information.

I can't believe how difficult it is to contact these PUBLIC servants!! Aren't they paid by the taxpayers in Florida? That would not go over well where I live. But...after many, many calls all over the state of Florida...

Success! I have gotten more contact information. PLEASE, please contact these people if only to let them know that the world is watching and that we will not rest until justice is served for Champ. (And he never has to go back to those awful people.)

I did reach Judge David W. Green's paralegal, Doris so keep calling. I could tell she was none too pleased to receive my call (I was very respectful), but she took my name, number, location, and the reason I was calling. She added my name to "the list". The more names on that list and the more places around the country and the world who call, means they know we are watching them. (I still could not get an email address so please continue to fax him.)

Judge David W. Green

Assistant/Paralegal: Doris

Phone: 1-850-892-8131

Fax: 1-850-892-8377

I also called Mr. Greg Anchors' office; he's the state attorney that is working with the sheriff to bring charges against these "alleged" abusers. His office staff were very pleasant; I spoke with Cindy and she was quite helpful. Mr. Anchors was in court but she took my name and number, the reason I was calling and did give me an email address.

State Attorney Greg Anchors

Phone: 1-850-892-8081

Fax: 1-850-892-8083

Email: [email protected]

Sheriff Michael A. Adkinson, Jr. is the sheriff that has been working hard to get charges brought. I'm sure he could use all our support. Send letters, faxes, and emails of support to him at:

Sheriff Michael A. Adkinson, Jr.

Phone: 1-850-892-8186

Fax: 1-850-892-8422

Email: [email protected]

From court documents I learned that Nicholas and Jessica Sconiers, the "alleged" abusers in this case, lost a property to foreclosure. If that is where they were living with the horses, my questions are: where are they living now, and if they are tenants, do the property owners know that they are not properly caring for their animals?

(As someone mentioned earlier, they are also youth ministers at the First Assembly of God church in DeFuniak Springs and run a program called "Kid's Quest". How can they be proper role models for children? But I digress... )

PLEASE KEEP CALLING, FAXING, AND E-MAILING! Champ needs us.
default_wub.png

I'm right here Jane! I WOULD gladly collect funds for Champ! I would add some money to it myself!

I've been here the whole time. Not able to post. I'm so HURT and WOUNDED to the very core of my BEING when I look at ir think of Champ, that all I do is cry and shake with anger!

27 years ago my first husband left me to be evicted and took all my money and left me to starve. I lost 90 lbs in 3 months! I was STARVING and let me tell you, it HURTS!! Anyone who doesn't think not feeding a horse isn't anything, well it's not letting a horse get thin. The horse is STARVING and it IS cruel torture!!!! <bleeping> judge!

Champ was in agony for months to get that way!

I know that pain and that is what angers me so much! I'd go to jail if I could do what I wanted to people that do that.

Now my chest hurts from being so mad Grrrrr!!!!!

Robin,

God bless you...with all the crap you had to go through. I think there are some here on this board who can relate at different levels.... (Hugs!) What's important is that (hopefully) none of us are left totally bitter or negative but instead want to USE our past experiences to help others - two legged OR four legged.......

Since we aren't quite sure what is happening with Champ in the legal part of things, yet....perhaps we should consider setting aside an account FOR CHAMP IN GENERAL. These monies could be used to help with his care/vet expenses initially and then....???

Just hate to jump the gun with dumping dollars into an account that may not ever be legally accessible! The little guy obviously needs support both emotionally, psychologically, and monetarily .....but as a group we need to put it all out where it's MOST needed.

(Just had a crazy feeling -- that we ALL are acting as Champ's GUARDIANS or PARENTS? In a way?)
default_smile.png

I just meant...most people know what it feels like to be hungry and even very hungry. But when it goes on day after day, weeks, months, the body hurts like I can't describe! And the spirit dies too. That Champ has the SPARK of life and will is a miracle! Bless him!
default_wub.png

Couldn't there be funds collected for Champ and if they're not needed, then they are returned or given to CMHR? Donator's choice!

Just an idea.
default_wub.png

The funds could always be used by the rescue that has him now. They have already ploughed a LOT of money into this little chap, and they are no more well off than any legitimate rescue facility!

Alaqua does need funds. I will try and dig up some of the older rescue stories from there. There may be some on the Alaqua web site. I know they have had several biggies that were very very thin, not as bad as Champ but close to it. One being an ancient mare. All of them were brought back to good health and given love and great care. Some have passed from old age but most are still at the refuge. They have also saved countless dogs and cats, a few pigs, goats, donkeys, ducks, even some chickens. Many of the dogs especially have been very ill. Heart worms, broken limbs that were never fixed, starved to nothing (Champ in dog form) gun shots, hit by cars, left in bags on the side of the road!!!

And FYI, Alaqua is in a flood zone as is most of the Fl coast, so in the event of a hurricane, every animal needs to be evacuated! Thank you for all you help with Champ.

default_aktion033.gif

I wish things were more clear down here as to what is going on legally, so many rumors and bull! The owners have still not publicly come forth with any explanation. But 3 diff 'friends' have tried defending them. With BS of course. One posted a need for dental care for the owners children that couldn't be addressed due to lack of money. I sent her a note, to let her know of some services in the area that help needy kids with dental care, and shockingly she said 'I only said something about needing dental care to make a point" she was LYING about it! These friends are just covering their own butts, as they sat by as well doing nothing for Champ.

Latest posts

Back