Black walnut toxicity

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Can't stop now (formerly Dragons Wish Farm)
Reaction score
Evening All!!

We've gotten moved onto our permanent property. Spanky came home on Sunday (thank you again Paula!) All is well EXCEPT.......

What I thought were pecan trees during the summer have turned out to be a mix of pecans and black walnut. I've been doing some research as I'm familiar with the hazards of black walnut shavings in bedding. My concern is with LEAVES. Right now, poor Spanks is relegated to a stall while I make his pen more secure and rake out ALL of the leaves.

Here is a link to an Ohio State information article:

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1148.html

And one to a University of Minnesota research pdf:

http://www.extension.umn.edu/agriculture/horse/pasture/black-walnut/docs/black-walnut.pdf

My questions pertain SPECIFICALLY to leaves: is it safe for him to walk on them? Has anyone had a horse-either mini or biggie--suffer from an allergic or laminitic episode from walnut leaves in pasture?

My understanding is that black walnut leaves can be safely composted and that the leaves lose the toxic element in as little as 2 weeks up to 12 weeks, depending on mulching method. (Ohio state suggests using tomato seedlings as guinea pigs as to safety--poor lil tomatoes!!)

Since it's been that long since the leaves fell, I THINK we'll be alright with raking and removing from the pen. Paula pointed out that black walnut lumber is highly desireable. So some of the trees we'd planned on keeping may be used as sacrifices to fund the rehab of the house. I hope they'll forgive me! :'-(

Thank you to anyone who can share experiences. I'll let you know what my vet says when he replies to my email as well.

We have black walnut trees in our field, and have never had a problem. We had regular sized horses in the field several years ago for 2-3 years with no problem. I have three horses on it now, two Mini's and a larger pony/small horse. The Mini's have been on it almost a year now and are very healthy. The larger pony has been on it for 3 and a half months, and seems to be in slightly better shape than she was when I got her.

we have had horses on our property close to 30 years. With several black walnut trees. Only came across one problem. we bred one of our girls and she had a red bag along with a short term. The vet said it was due to the trees. Who knows? I think your are fine as long as you don't have tree eaters.

It was always my understanding that the thing about black walnut was risk of horses foundering from standing on the leaves, nuts or shavings from the tree. We have a bunch in one section of the barnyard that grew up from snow piles dumped in that spot from my inlaws across the street with a big black walnut in the yard.

Thank you all for your replys. As best I can determine: laminitic episodes occur when on shavings that have as little as 20% black walnut, and if fresh leaves or wood (that still contain the chemical juglone) are consumed in as yet undetermined quantity.

So, unless the vet advises something differently, I'll continue to rake and put them into the compost pile. :)

Latest posts

Back