Journal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Journal is at the printer and I think is ready to be shipped out. The reason it is late is the office's fault. They gave the editor stuff from Nationals that needed to be in the Journal, late. And other people who have advertised in the Dec./Jan. issue, gave the editor their stuff late as well, (pictures, write ups, pedigrees, etc.). One thing to get the Journal moving faster would be for people who advertise, to get everything together and send in early. But, the office still needs to get in order and send things on time as well.
Thank you Jason! The Journal did not receive information on all the awards presented at Nationals until well after The Journal was initially scheduled for publication. M&D, our publisher, bent over backwards to make sure The Journal could be published as soon as those pages were completed. Incomplete information and information received well after the scheduled publication date is an ongoing problem and we are working on ways to correct this (which may mean that certain show information not received in a timely manner will not be published until a later issue!).

I agree that if late ads are a problem, those that are late may be more prompt next time if their ad doesn't get put into the issue when it arrives late. I once tried to put together a provincial directory for another breed. I set the deadline for Jan. 25th, and the book went to the printer just days after that. Two weeks later a breeder mentioned sending an ad & when I told her she was too late, the book was at the printer, she started yelling about how "it can't possibly be at the printer, a deadline of Jan. 25th really means February 25th, everyone knows that".
default_wacko.png
default_wacko.png
Nope, sorry, a deadline is a deadline. Missing a deadline and being left out really does help to get people to pay attention and be on time the next time around.

I agree that if late ads are a problem, those that are late may be more prompt next time if their ad doesn't get put into the issue when it arrives late. I once tried to put together a provincial directory for another breed. I set the deadline for Jan. 25th, and the book went to the printer just days after that. Two weeks later a breeder mentioned sending an ad & when I told her she was too late, the book was at the printer, she started yelling about how "it can't possibly be at the printer, a deadline of Jan. 25th really means February 25th, everyone knows that".
default_wacko.png
default_wacko.png
Nope, sorry, a deadline is a deadline. Missing a deadline and being left out really does help to get people to pay attention and be on time the next time around.

The deadline is set for a reason. I agree if complete ads are not in or any information from the office is not in it goes to print as is. This is NOT fair to the advertisers that do it correct and get their's in on time. If the roles were reversed we all know they would want it out.

I think Amy does a fantastic job with what she has to deal with.

Tracey

I know that Amy sets her time limits and sticks to them for me. Man she is on me like a hawk if I am getting close to deadline. And always sets time limits for Tara. One time years ago I was late and she said, "tough -We'll run it next issue". Thanks, Lewella for posting. Now we have two directors with ----s

Last edited by a moderator:
Well if you pay your membership dues included in that are 6 issues if the journal so if they are not printed in a timely manner feasibly one could end up shorted?

This also is representative of the snowball effect. If the Journal wants to distribute a quality magazine it should be of the utmost importance to publish something in a timely manner otherwise advertisers will not spend their hard earned money on advertising and the magazine will dwindle to nothing. If the Journal is an important media in which to promote the miniature horse in todays world I think they should put a bit more effort into it. People look to the Journal for numerous reasons show stats, sales, standing stallions as well as other information and enjoyment but with the other avenues in which to get this information people will no longer have the need for such a publication. This is an awesome source to promote the miniature horse and as miniature horse owners we are being let down.

Well if you pay your membership dues included in that are 6 issues if the journal so if they are not printed in a timely manner feasibly one could end up shorted?
No, with your membership you get the full 6 issues, assuming that your membership is paid early in the year. Obviously if you don't join until May or June you will miss the first couple issues of the year.
Even if the Dec./Jan issue is "late" in being mailed, all 2009 members will get their magazine, even if they don't renew their membership for 2010.

Thanks for clarifying that for me.

This just upsets me as here is a tool to promote the miniature horse, their owners and the association and I feel like everyone is being let down.

a previous post mentioned that awards were late in getting to the editor - but when i called the office about award information and who won, etc I was told that the committees submitted those (amateur and youth I believe) and that the office didn't have that winner information so I wouldn't the office would have held that up. the journal has never been this late getting to me and i hope it is coming soon.

I have use the Journal in past years, full pages the works. I have jumped all over Amy about getting DATED material out to the membership.

I also have called directors and others. My conclusion is, AMY ROBERTS is the Editor and can only do what AMHR OFFICE allows her to do. If you have dated material and want it out GET YOUR DIRECTORS on board. Trust me, it is NOT an AMY issue.

Lonnie Sharping

www.sosranch.net

I totally agree with Lonny -- it is NOT an Amy problem.

And lets be fair -- the Journal has never been 2 to 3 months late -- that would put it behind the next issue????

I also think it is totally unfair to think Amy holds her position because of belonging to an "Old Pony family".

That is totally unfair -- I believe Amy has all the credentials needed for her positon just as the other person had for hers.

I also think Amy does a tremendous job & I, for one truly appreciate her hard work, and dedication to her job & to us , the members.

I'm not sure if the position is appointed or the exact details to become the Editor, but I would be willing to step in and help.
- My credentials include a BS in Journalism (News Editorial) and graphic layout (newspaper and other print media).

- I was the editor of an equine art magazine for 4 years. I not only had the standard duties as editor, but was responsible for content, layout, photography and subscriptions

- Successfully raised over $30,000 to support the magazine and to be able to giveaway special editions at events.

- I tripled subscriptions in less than 4 months.

- I also worked in the printing industry for over 10 years and actually spent time printing, binding and mailing the issues.

- I also held a full-time job while running the magazine.

Maybe I can offer the association my expertise as an editor.

Why dont you just apply at the home office??????

First of off..

why bring the past up in a topic that has nothing to do with this??

would you all want someone that did not care about the journal. amy does she cares. she works her butt off to get it out on time.

If any of you think that you all could do a better job at this then please go and apply for the job.

I would not want some in there that has lied or cheat or steals in there to print out a journal I would hate to see what they would print.

At least Amy does a good job, and when you bring the past up stop and think for a second that she ( amy ) has no control over the matter she does just what she is told to do. the people that is putting the blame on her needs to call the home office and see what the hold up is. before you jump on here and start pointing fingers at other people.

Are you referring that I lie or cheat?

Hey guys, lets not point any fingers. It all seems so simple. We have a Journal Committee. It says that Laurie Villalpondo is the Chairperson on our website. I thought I read that Lewella was too. Have them go into the office- figure out the problems and report to us, the membership in the Journal. I think that is what a Committee does.

a previous post mentioned that awards were late in getting to the editor - but when i called the office about award information and who won, etc I was told that the committees submitted those (amateur and youth I believe) and that the office didn't have that winner information so I wouldn't the office would have held that up. the journal has never been this late getting to me and i hope it is coming soon.
Did anyone say Amateur or Youth awards??? I think not. There are MANY other awards given out at Nationals... PMC (Youth and now Adult), various awards for tack room, table, etc., etc., etc. that do not go thru a specific committee.....

Lewella whose job is it at the office to ensure this stuff gets to Amy in a reasonable time frame to meet the deadlines?

Would seem it would be a pretty easy thing to handle?

Sorry that this question about anyone receiving the Journal would turn into putting blame on anyone. The lastness of this last issue might need to be adressed. I just know that I enjoy the magazine and look forward to reading it and sorry that it is taking so long to arrive. Maybe who ever is responsible for making sure it arrives on time can look into why the delay so all the members are happy. I know Amy has put many ads together for us and have been very happy with them.

Thank you Lewella! As your amateur Chairman, I personally get all of the Amateur winners to our Journal editor either by hand or by mail way before they are actually due. Amy has always contacted me by email or phone if she has a question as to what I have sent to her regarding ANY Amateur awards. Like Lewella stated, there are far more awards that are given that have to have names that go with pictures. I have met and put faces to lots of names I see through out the year. If anyone has a problem with any amateur award you can contact me at the following:

Karen Shaw

Chairman

Triple A Amateur Advantage Program

10500 CR 606

Burleson Texas 76028

817-426-0262

Email: [email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back