jayne

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniforFaith

Reaction score
jayne,

The pic you posted in the eye shot post about you black clydesdale, do you have a full picture of him.. I just have never seen a blue eyed clydesdale. He looks very handsome
default_wub.png
: .. COuld you share??
default_please.gif
:

HI!! I am so tickled you asked about my clydesdale! He is such a good boy and beautiful too. Here's a little of his story mingled with mine.

I had loved horses my whole life but couldn't ever afford it until I was in my late 30's. I started taking lessons and was soon ready for my own horse. I asked a trusted horse friend to find a horse for me as I didn't know a thing about picking a good, sane, safe, sound horse. I just said BIG and BLACK!! Well, Bailey is who she found for me! When she found him, however, he was advertised as a grade shire. About two years after I got him, I showed his picture to some people who had a shire hitch at the Oregon State Fair and they knew him!! Said that he was in their hitch for about 3 years and that he was actually a clydesdale. Since then I have been in contact with his breeders, have gotten his papers, and was able to fill in all but about 9 months of his life when he became a shire and lost his name.

People thought I was nuts getting such a giant horse for my first horse ever, but he has been a gem. He's easy to handle and tolerant of my mistakes. When I boarded, the 4H girls helped lead horses in from the pasture and we trusted him even with the littlest 70 pounders (although if their mom's happened to drive up then, they about had a cow!). He loves kids and seeks them out. Many times I drove up to the barn and there would be 3 or 4 kids crawling all over him and swinging under his neck and sliding off his butt. When they'd leave him, he'd follow them to to the gate and whinney his giant horse whinney.

He's 15 now (was 8 when I got him) and pretty much retired except for lazy trail rides. I'm sure he'd like to drive again (he won a LOT on the west coast in big hitches, as well as ladies and youth cart classes) but if you think the equipment for the little guys is expensive, try buying it for the big guys!

Bailey is just (!) 17 hands and goes about 1900 pounds. I used to board and there were some thoroughbreds that ate a lot more than he did. He wears size 9 shoes, and a 92" blanket. My husband calls him "The Princess", mainly because he expects to be pampered and even a few drops of rain send him to the gate or barn talking to us to let him in. Sheesh.

Here's one of my favorite pictures of him. It just takes my breath away. Look at those giant feet!

225850880.jpg

And here's one of me riding him. He's really sunfaded from spending the summer outside, but he's a true black believe it or not. We were at a game show running barrels and poles that day. We were the slowest ones there but he loved it. He would just dance in place when he knew he was next! Funny giant horse!

225850878.jpg

Lastly, here's him doing his favorite thing (and being bugged by the baby donkey!)

215239708.jpg

Thanks so much for asking! I love talking about him!

Jayne and Bailey (registered name Sister's View Governor)

:saludando: Thanks so much for the reply... I just started owning a horse last year(33yrs), but they are my mini's.. I am to leary of the big guys. He is such a doll
default_wub.png
:
default_yes.gif
: . You have a very beautiful BIG GUY there.. Give him a hug from me..
default_blush.png
:

Bailey is just (!) 17 hands and goes about 1900 pounds. I used to board and there were some thoroughbreds that ate a lot more than he did. He wears size 9 shoes, and a 92" blanket. My husband calls him "The Princess", mainly because he expects to be pampered and even a few drops of rain send him to the gate or barn talking to us to let him in. Sheesh.

Here's one of my favorite pictures of him. It just takes my breath away. Look at those giant feet!

225850880.jpg

And here's one of me riding him. He's really sunfaded from spending the summer outside, but he's a true black believe it or not. We were at a game show running barrels and poles that day. We were the slowest ones there but he loved it. He would just dance in place when he knew he was next! Funny giant horse!

225850878.jpg

Lastly, here's him doing his favorite thing (and being bugged by the baby donkey!)

215239708.jpg

Thanks so much for asking! I love talking about him!

Jayne and Bailey (registered name Sister's View Governor)
Jayne,

He's beautiful and what a wonderful story. I didn't know Clydes came in black, I've pretty much just seen the bay variety.

My FIL has a couple Percherson teams so I've heard some of the harness prices for the big guys, but he mostly buys them at auction and then fixes them up. He's not into anything fancy, so backyard fix-it is fine with him. ;)

Ditto what Nikki said! my paint mare is so big (over 16 hands) we laughingly call her our "draft" horse... she even has big feet but NOT THAT BIG! and my new paint mare who is appendix (half thoroughbred) may even be bigger than my old gal... so i guess i am not getting rid of my mounting block LOL

you are so lucky Jayne, what a boy...

Your horse is just gorgeous jayne! I'm so envious! WOW I don't know what to say to do him justice!
default_wub.png
:

Wow! He's gorgeous! I love his shiny black color and even white markings! What big ear, the "big horses" have! He even looks as gentle as you talk about him, its just his "look". I love the sleeping picture, teehee, thats just adorable!

Jayne,

Bailey is just GORGEOUS!
default_wub.png
: I love the drafts, they really are gentle giants. That first picture is awesome...you should send it into Equusite!
default_yes.gif
:

You have one beautiful Clyde horse! Love the photo of him and your Donkey! That is Classic...my donkey does the same thing. She will keep bugging one of the horses until they play with her, no matter what they are doing....your looks the same. :bgrin

Wow! What a nice looking horse he is. I had a percheron cross (a friend has him now, long story), he is 16.3hands and 1500 pounds. Takes a size 5 shoe........I thought that was big, LOL. Aren't the drafts the best?!

He is a looker, and sounds like personality to boot. thanks for sharing those photo's. And the fact you found out who he is....bet you were some happy!

Alicia

Thank you everyone for all your kind comments about my big guy. I always tell people I have no 'normal' horses as I have the clyde, a pony, two minis and the two donkeys but no regular sized horses. I love it!

Shari! You're so right about the donkey! Actually, baby Daisy was out with just her mom for about 4 months. Then we added Bailey (who has been used as a weaning buddy before and is great with babies) and that went fine, but neither momma nor Bailey would discipline her when she would do such rude things like bite them and put her front feet up on them and just plain be a pest! So I thought, "I'll show HER!" and put the pony out with her! Now she's met her match! He's a little bit smaller than she is, but he doesn't take any of her crap and I was happy to see he lit her up a couple of times, but usually they just play and run, then stop and eat a few bites, then they're off running again. Momma donkey and Bailey are happy the baby has a playmate now and is not bugging them any more! It's going to be interesting in a month or so when I need to put the pony in the dry lot to keep him off the spring grass and she loses her buddy. But I can't have the pony foundering.

Here's one more picture of baby Daisy bugging Bailey. This was right after she woke him up and was trying to be all kissy-face, but you can tell from his ears that he's still pretty irritated!

215239690.jpg

And to give credit where credit is due, here's a picture of the pony who is keeping her in line. This is one of the last days this fine young girl rode him as she was getting too big. They were a great pair as LB the pony is not a good children's pony, but with a strong willed handler like her he was a gem.

225965617.jpg

OK, just one more of them. I just couldn't resist. I bet no one else ever asks me about my horses again, because I just can't control myself!!

225965667.jpg

OK ! I just have to add .....he is GORGEOUS!!!
default_wub.png
: I have always loved the drafts. Doesn't matter what breed but I love the black coloring . Your pics have even got me looking at buying one for myself ! I do have a question though, if you don't mind. How are they for handling ? I had parted with my quarter horse filly because it just made me too nervous to have any one come do anything to her ( farrier, vet...I still regret letting her go :no: ) I never had a problem with her , just knew what could happen if she lost it. I was afraid of someone getting seriously injured and I was doubting my ability to handle her. I know alot of it comes down to training but temperment wise , are most of them that gentle? I have always heard about how extemely gentle they are but never knew anyone that had one or ever had a chance to work around any of them. And health wise are they hardy or seem to be prone to problems? I would appreciate any info you have to share. Thanks !
default_yes.gif
:

Sure, I'm happy to answer a few questions. First and foremost: they are still just horses...really BIG horses. Some are hot, some are calm, some have had good training, some are undisciplined and a handful. I worry about the 'gentle giant' title, as it doesn't apply to ALL of them, that's for sure. If you had concerns with your ability to handle your well behaved QH, I would think that those same concerns would exist with a big one too. Maybe even on a larger scale. Just my opinion, folks.

Now here's the real downside to owning a big horse: most everything costs double or worse. Twice the dewormer, twice the supplements, twice the cost of farrier work IF you can find a farrier who is willing to heft those giant feet. Tack, if it can be found, is outrageously expensive. Twice the hay, but not much grain. Twice the poop and pee, so I go through bedding more quickly. Regular trailers can't hold him. Non-electrified fences become big scratching posts and are soon demolished. I don't want to discourage you, but that is the reality of it.

Now, having read all that, would I do it all over again? In a heartbeat. My horse is a lovable big dope. Doesn't do anything fast and is so predictible both on the ground and in the saddle that we never get into trouble. He loves people and is good to his little herd. It is fun to have a horse that is so big as it attracts people who want to meet him and talk about him. I think that's fun.

As far as hardiness and health problems. For the most part, again, they are no different than any other horse. Feathered breeds (clydes, shires) have a couple of extra potential problems caused by having all that hair down there and the moisture it holds in so there is a little extra grooming that you have to do, but it isn't bad.

The bottom line is that it comes down to the horse. If you want one, just make sure to pick one that meets your needs. There is a farm just north of me selling two 15 year old clydesdale geldings who are coming out of their hitch. They are $3500 a piece and worth every penny. These boys would be about as reliable and dependable as you can get and if I had the room and money, I would be blessed to have them come retire here. I think this is probably the kind of draft you should look for. One that has been everywhere and seen everything, and having been shown, you know he has to be good with being handled on the ground, groomed to the nines, dealt with crowds at shows, etc.

I hope at least some of that helped!

Jayne

Thank you so much ! You have put things into perspective for me , I knew this myself but the heart says other wise! If I were to get one it would be like the ones you described ....older geldings , put through everything! I think I will have to wait for a while , until my situation opens up for the room and money spent ! I am not giving up on this dream..one day I will have one. Thanks again! :bgrin

Thanks for posting ForMyACDs....I had been looking for horses close to us but hadn't found a web site that would get me to where I wanted !
default_wacko.png
:

Nah, I'm sure we'll - or at least I - would still want to ask you about your horses! I love your pictures! You've got beautiful scenery behind the main object of your pictures too. Just gorgeous.

Question, you said a normal trailer won't hold him - how do you take him places (just ride him? hehe Looks like one step would cover a mile)? And/or how often do you take him places? Just curious. Very interesting to me.
default_smile.png

Well, I can't answer for Jayne but I know they make draft size trailers. Taller and wider, with a sturdier floor. I have a warmblood size trailer for my mare, it is 7'6 tall and7'6" wide. it is also 9 feet long where the horse stands(stall, I guess you would call it). So, a draft one would even be bigger.

Alicia

Latest posts

Back