Jaw deformed on weanling please help!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MindyLee

Reaction score
So, a friend of mine went to the stock yards today and him and his dad saw a weanling colt for sale. Neither one of them knows nothing about minis BUT wanted one so they could breed it later on to a friends mare and get a few mares in the future for them selves. My friend wanted me to come out after work today and take a look at him and let him know what I thought of the little fella and trim his feet too.

Unfortintly to my not so surprise, they had paid $250 for a cute little silver dappled colt named Diamond that has some very seriouse issues going on. Poor little guy has been bottle feed since he was 8 days old cause his mommy died for unknown reasons. He was sold today at 2 months old and was told he was perfectly healthy and was vet checked to be ok. NOT!!! He had a coggins thats it. Looking at him he was very hairy, very pot bellied, (guessing worms) and very cow hocked. IT GETS WORSE... Heres the big issues that I dont know what is the problem as I never seen these before.

Right where his belly botton is theres a huge golf ball sized lump/bubble that is inside of him sticking out that feels like its full of warm fluid. Not hard but like a warm balloon full of water covered in hair. I have no ideal wat that is. Also heres the other terriable issue, his mouth. Overbite and right where his molars start and all the way back, his upper jaw is shifted to the right by 1/2 inch and huge. Like he has to much jaw or something. His roof of his mouth feels normal its just around where his teeth are. And because of this he has weird skin at each side of his mouth. His upper jaw looks like its swollen or defently deformed which has caused a respatory infection that he has because when he drinks, he sticks his whole face in the water to get a drink because it all falls back out. The same happens when he eats. The inside of his mouth looks rotten and scarey. Because of the respatory infection, he has nasty green/yellow snot and cant breath well at all.

I told them PLEASE dont breed him ever. PLEASE get the vet involed.

I trimed his feet, cleaned his nose out and put vicks in there to help him breath and started him on my left over SMZ's I had when my filly had a cold. And told him to contact my vet in the morning.

Has anyone have any ideal what could be going on with this little guys belly ball and jaw issues??? Sorry but I dont have pics.

Last edited by a moderator:
From your description, it sounds like he has an umbilical hernia and a wry mouth. The hernia may or may not resolve itself. The mouth will doubtfully correct. I'd suggest a vet look at the little guy. Sounds like he may have pneumonia as well.

Poor little guy, I really hope they contact the vet! The bubble on his belly button sounds like a bad hernia in which case the vet could potentially help. Surgery for it is not cheap though. I think this boy is going to end up being a bit more expensive than your friend had anticipated. Let us know how everything works out.

Thank goodness someone took that baby home !!! I was there and saw him. I wish I could have rescued him but I could not afford the $300 the guy wanted for him. Honestly he should not have gone for more than $50 at any sale. The poor baby was in awful shape and they had him displayed in an extra large dog cage in the flea market part of the auction! I was appauled and cried when I saw him. He had no room to move in that little cage. I opened the door, cradled his head and stroked his face but that was all I could do for him. Thank you Mindy for helping the people that bought him, I hope they listen to you and contact the vet to get him well again and then have him gelded. Sending prayers that this little guy will be OK. Is he still down on his fetlocks on the rear legs ? He looked pretty bad in the cage but I couldn't get him out to get a good look.

That is so sad, hopefully the little guy doesn't have pnumonia and I agree that the lump on the belly definitely sounds like a hernia.

Bless you for helping his new owners with him, I hope all turns out well.

Thanks Mindy for helping them out. Please convince them to call a vet out right away because this poor baby needs a lot of veternary attention. He must be scared to pieces and in terrible pain.

Bless you Mindy for getting involved! I love people who want to get into minis to make big bucks with no knowledge, no experience, and no idea what they are getting into.

I can help your buddy out by telling him how to make a small fortune in miniatures. Start with a LARGE fortune! Breeding junk miniatures is a sure way to get there.
default_no.gif

Thank God you were there to help out this little guy.

Mindy,

I know Connie is busy right now but she may be able to educate your friends on the special care this little guy will need...sounds like he might be showing some dwarf traits. I had a colt with a wry nose given to me for 4H use. Had a terrible time keeping him healthy as his soft palate was also malformed and he would aspirate food...constantly getting respiratory infections. He did learn to eat as a yearling, you could hear him exhale as he swallowed. Did adapt and found a great home with a family that loves him to death but it was a long and expensive road getting him there.

I will help you post photos if you get a few of him, you can e-mail them to me and I'll get them on here for you. And please keep us updated on him if you can, I feel awful for not being able to get him out of there myself.
default_no.gif

I texted my friend last night after reading the replys on here and told him the info I got from here and told hime to tell the vet over the phone what might be wrong with the colt. Never heard back and my hubby texted him also to get the vet involved too today. He said ok, but I think I'll have to ride him a bit to get him to realize the seriousness of the colts condtion. It makes me so sad and whats worse is, that this is'nt the 1st horse I seen come from the breeder that has serious issues. This is just the worse so far.

Last week when he told me was going to start looking for a mini horse to buy, I told him that I was more then willing to help him out and point him in the right direction and not get ripped off, well I think he should have taken my advice. And now in the meantime, at least the colt ended up out of the breeders hands but into someone elses that has no ideal what he got himself into and the special costly needs he is going to need. I hope I can help out a lot more and save this little guys life right now cause I dont feel that he has a real fair chance. But how do I go about pushing someone, a friend at that but not a close friend, to get the vet there ASAP when I personally think he's going to drag his feet EVEN tho I told him his life depends on it.

All I can do without upsetting him is keep trying to convince him to call the vet and check in every couple of days to see if the colt looks or feels any better with the meds I had supplied.

I will keep updates as they come
default_smile.png

My friend informed me today after he got home from work that he took my advice and had my vet, (which is now his vet) out to take a look at little Diamond. My friend told him about all that I suggusted about what I got from here and the vet agreed that the little guy dose indeed have a hernia, and respatory infection. He believes that within time his legs will correct with proper farrier work, which I am working on, and that yes he may have a slight case of wry mouth but not 100% sure because it also looks like he has a very bad infection in his upper jaw. So for that, little Diamond is on strong atiabotics to clear up his jaw infection & cold. The vet recommended that the colt go see either 3 different VMD offices to have the hernia surgery. So My friend asked me tonight which one would I choose, so I gave him my oppinion and he'll be calling them tomarrow to set up a appointment to get that fixed too. Even tho I had my doubts, I sure am glad he proved me wrong and also his dad if flipping the bill to pay for all cause he just loves his new little colt
smile.gif

I explained to him my concerns and hope he did'nt feel that I was being harsh with him about getting the vet involved. I also went on and explained what the difference between breeders who breed for profit (like the guy he bought Diamond from) and breeders who breed to better the breed like myself. I told him for future buys, please see me and I will help him pick out heathy correct horses to add to his new (becoming) herd of miniature equine... and he agreed 110%!

THANK YOU ALL for the wonderful helpful info as it saved this little colts life!

I just LOVE happy endings! Awesome job helping out little Diamond
default_wub.png

Good Luck.

It sounds like this little guy needs all the help he can get.

Keep us updated.

YEA! Please keep us updated on how this little critter is doing with all of his good care.

And bless you for stepping in even when it might not be comfortable to do so.

Charlotte

Latest posts

Back