I've deleted my posts

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many legitimate horse rescues will rehab. a horse and if possible help return it to a useful life be it in performance, or breeding if it's of excellent quality. I see nothing wrong with this practice at all.

I see a whole lot wrong with selling a rescue STALLION, why not geld it first. If I'm not totally mistaken, Chances Miniature Horse Rescue always gelds stallions before placing them in new homes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont know of any legitimate rescue that sells a stallion before gelding it however this is not a rescue orginization we are talking about this is a person who took in a horse rehabed it and chooses to sell it

I realise we are talking about an individual here, but I wanted to make a point that it is not unheard of for a quality horse to go back to being "useful" after rescue and rehabilitation. So, you think without exception a quality stallion should be gelded after rescue? Why? What if the stallion could be of great importance to the advancement of the breed? Not all horses that end up in rescue situations are castaway junk. What if this stallion were a mare and gelding was not a possibility?

Yes, I've seen the ads too & thought the same thing. I can't say that I was surprised, though.

yep I will stand by what I said, he should be gelded. He ended up in a bad situation and it could happen again. Chances are if he were that great of a stallion he wouldn't have ended up needing rescuing in the first place. With the hundreds of miniature foals born each year, why should he stay a stallion?

LOL Derby and other famous race winners have been slaughtered, so I don't think it's out of the question that an excellent quality Miniature could end up in a bad situation. Let's not forget that "it could happen again" if the horse is gelded, too. Please know that the point I am making is about a top quality individual, not just your average stud and not necessarily this stallion.

I realise we are talking about an individual here, but I wanted to make a point that it is not unheard of for a quality horse to go back to being "useful" after rescue and rehabilitation. So, you think without exception a quality stallion should be gelded after rescue? Why? What if the stallion could be of great importance to the advancement of the breed? Not all horses that end up in rescue situations are castaway junk. What if this stallion were a mare and gelding was not a possibility?
Personally yes I think so. I dont think there is a stallion especially in our breed of minis that would make or break the breed if he was gelded but that is JMO

however I do think that a nice horse rescued can go on to be very useful in many other things besides breeding.

And a person doing a rescue of there own well to me bottom line if they got the horse out of a bad situation, brought it back up to health and want to sell it I dont think that is all that horrible. The horse is better off

I think the key word here is "quality" as far as having something to contribute to the breed, as well as conformational correctness, not to mention the area of the country he is from.

I hear there are a lot of horses for sale there of similar breeding and type, and barely able to give them away. The pinto color thing may just be a gimmick.

Not surprised one bit that this horse is for sale so quickly, and I myself feel he's probably not 100%, nor is he breeding quality, but that's just my opinion. Reselling him isn't the problem, nor would it be as a breeding stallion.

Let's just hope his new owner has a lot of sense and realizes his potential as a nice gelding, or even stallion if they have a plan, and commit to care for the horses they produce.

Not much that can be done.

Liz M.

I think if the horse is healthy, sound, and in good condition, there is nothing wrong with trying to turn a profit. And if the stallion is sound and healthy, there is nothing wrong with keeping it a stallion, and selling it to someone who might choose to use it for breeding. Ideally, this would all be done responsibly, but if the seller does their best to sell it to a responsible owner, after it is sold, it is out of their hands. A buyer can be just as irresponsible with a gelding as they can be with a stallion. What's worse, a gelding going to another home of neglect/abuse, or a stallion who has a great home and is used for breeding? Maybe it will work out great, maybe it won't, but gelding doesn't guarantee a happy ending, and it doesn't necessarily make the chances any better either. We can only hope for the best. But gossiping about this persons sales choices doesn't make the situation any better, especially when no one really knows the situation fully.

Yeah, she probably knows. I think all of us knew it was inevitable that he'd be for sale, and I think 99% of sensible people would agree that he's likely not got a thing to contribute to the gene pool that we aren't trying to move away from, but then consider the other horses in the scene....

Doesn't matter, though, because he doesn't belong to us, he belongs to them, and possibly to a new owner, one who MAY just want a cute new gelding and do the job themselves.

Liz

I figured out who the stallion is and for what it's worth, I don't believe he is stallion quality, either.
default_wink.png

I was always under the impression that part of rescuing a horse is to geld (if possible, obviously it wouldn't be practical to spay a mare) so as to make sure the overpopulation of horses doesn't continue. If there weren't so many horses, they wouldn't end up as they do in slaughterhouses, neglected etc

edited for sp.

Last edited:
Sometimes I forget how cut throat and vicious people can be with their comments, then I am reminded. Passive aggression is sometimes even worse than being direct. Personally, I'd rather be making my own choices(weather they are right, wrong, or indifferent) and be gossiped about, than being the one making the mean comments. My question is, what is a thread like this solving. I commend the people making the simple comments of what they would do in that situation and why, THAT is educational, THAT is what is valuable, but making remarks about other people, weather you name them or not, is just rude and doesn't solve anything. And besides all of that this person rehabilitated a horse, GOOD FOR THEM!

Sigh. Please re-read what I posted. I am not all about breeding anything with balls or a uterus. My point had everything to do with the QUALITY of horse being rescued.

Latest posts

Back