I've asked before, but I'm sure she's lost the foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crystalbank

Reaction score
My little mare ran with the stallion back in May and June last year (didn't belong to me then) and in October this year she looked huge, but I'm now thinking she's just a really good doer.

She looks slim and is galloping around everywhere. All of my mares would be on a real go slow at this stage in the pregnancy, but this one will come up and down the hill at very fast speed. She's also tried to steal a foal off one of the other mares.

With the covering date shouldn't I be seeing some signs by now?

Here's a pic of her two weeks ago, but now she's very slim again - maybe the foal has moved, but I'm not convinced. I can't run a wee foal test as she's too late in the preganancy - anything else I can do other than a Vet taking blood?

Ponies080509020.jpg

Well, I can't say. But I can tell you that my girl is definitely in foal (at almost 340 days) and runs around and is comfortable. So...maybe she's just got an "easy" pregnancy? Any other signs (filled udder etc.)?

Is this her first pregnancy?

I find mares that are maidens tend to hide their pregnancies better than ones that have foaled before.

Can you veterinarian do an ultrasound?

When my mare had a "false" pregnancy in 2007, and went past her due date our vet was able to do an external ultrasound to determine there was no foal. Our very pregnant mares are also running and bucking, so I wouldn't use that as any indication.

My maiden mare never changed in behavior when she was pregnant at all. She was running around kicking her heels up to the very night/morning she foaled. She didn't have an udder or anything either, and her hips were very relaxed about the last trimester of her pregnancy. Thats how I missed the foaling, and was too late.

Get an ultrasound, and be sure. It's terrible to just miss a foal.
default_sad.png

Try to feel for movement. You should be able to feel the foal moving around - place your hand directly in front of her teats and hold it there (I usually do this while the mare is eating).
default_smile.png

I find it funny that everyone so far is commenting on how she acts but not how she looks.

To me she "looks" bred. If not, I think you need to put her on a diet. Of course you don't want to do that unless you know for sure. If she was bred in June she would be close to foaling. Maybe she hides it well and looks slimmer because the foal is dropping into position. We have a mare that looks about like that heavy in foal. She just never gets real big and she has had 7 foals.

If she was bred in October you have a while to go and she would be plenty big for that.

She's not a maiden, however I don't know how many foals she's had. When she came to me she had a little foal at foot.

I've sat with her for ages watching and feeling for movement, but cannot see anything at all.

It's so difficult when I don't know what her normal behaviour is when coming up to foaling.

I do feel though that I should see some signs by now given the dates she ran with the stallion (May and June last year).

The only other thing I can think of is that the covering certificate is incorrect or the breeder got mixed up with another mare.

It's getting me down a little as like most of you on here I've waited patiently and I'm beggining to feel that it's not going to happen
default_sad.png

I am however very grateful for the two lovely bouncing foals this year has brought me, but let's hope it's three as the mare in question is a few spot who's been bred to a few spot and I just love my spots
default_wub.png

***I've just found the mobile number from the lady I bought her from so have sent her a text asking if she can give me more info about the mare when she's near to foaling - will update you all***

Last edited by a moderator:
Based solely on this one photo, I would think she is definately not in foal, at least not to the breeding dates you have given.

Hhhmmm that's what I was afraid off.

I got an answer back from the previous owner who told me that she always bags up well before - no sign this morning so I guess it's a no no
default_sad.png

Latest posts

Back