It's a filly, but help needed please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crystalbank

Reaction score
We had a little filly foal born at 0700 this morning and Mum is doing fine, however I am really concerned about the foals hooves. The hooves are very long and she's sitting back, but guess she'll straighten up as she gains more strength.

My problem is that it looks like the hoof wall isn't properly developed. I know the foals can be born with slippers on, but I'm really unsure as to what this is. Here's a pic and any advise is welcomed.

Foal9thMay09012.jpg

Foal9thMay09011.jpg

If the hoof needs to harden then should I be treating it with something?

Congratulations on your filly and don't worry
love0075.gif

Those are just "foal slippers". She will wear them off and her tendons will get stronger as she moves around. Sometimes it happens so fast, if you go a few hours w/o seeing her, you'll notice a difference in just that amount of time
default_yes.gif
:yes
default_yes.gif

Most of my foals have been born with foal slippers.
default_wub.png

Last year, I had a filly born and her legs "U'd" backwards at the knee. Like they were U's. She became PERFECTLY straight w/in about 5 days. This year, see this little guy's video if you have time. His back legs were rubbery but his front right was so knock kneed he was essentially handicapped. Having to hand rear him but he is now also perfectly straight and has been since about 7 days
default_smile.png
:)
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on your new filly. As to her hooves, they look normal to me. What exactly is it you are concerned with? And foals are ALWAYS born with those "pads" on their feet. It is protection for the mare during the foaling process. What you are seeing where it looks separated underneath, is just what is left of the pad on the bottom of the hoof.

Thanks guys, you've put my mind at rest. None of my foals have ever been born with their slippers on before, so it's new to me.

She was a little weak this morning, but is now coming on leaps and bounds - we've had a nice cuddle too.

Will get some pics for you.

Maybe you were not there at the actual birth??

All foals have to have those "slippers" on the feet at birth, it is what protects the feet from damaging the womb.

Sometimes the slippers will cause a tiny amount of bleeding as they separate from the hoof proper, and also occasionally they will need to be cut off.

As said, your foals feet look perfectly normal.

Latest posts

Back