*Is this wormer safe for pregnant Horses?*

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniLover2006

Reaction score
I bought this wormer the other day because my Vet reccomened it for patrick that had dirrhea and the paste can treat up to 1250 lb and I have 90% of the tube left. It says that it has not been tested on pregnant mares......so I don't want to use it if it is not safe for my mare and her unborn foal.

If I can't use it, it's not a big deal because I was just wondering....
default_smile.png

Thanks!
default_wink.png
:

I personally dont like worming my horses in their first trimester...but if I do worm at all- I use a very mild wormer like Panacure, or Safeguard, on pregnant horses. I know many people that dont worm their pregnant mares.

Dreamer is about 5 months along.

Ok, if I do worm her it would be with the Safeguard. I was just wondering about the Zimectrin because I am not familiar with it.

default_smile.png

I have just researched Praziquantel and it is cleared for use in pregnant mares. Ivermectin is completely safe in pregnant mares.

Zimectrin Gold is Praziquantel (for Tapeworms) + Ivermectin for everything else except encysted small strongyles.

If you only worm pregnant mares with Fenbendazole you put them at risk form worms- I would never use Fenbendazole as a wormer- only as a foal wormer or a five day encysted treatment, it just does not get enough different types of worms, IMO/

I have used Zimectrin Gold now for two years on my pregnant mares, my foals, and my non-breeding horses of all descriptions. My vet pretty much agreed it would be fine for the reasons Rabbit stated above.

I have had no problems w/mares losing babies and/or unhealthy foals or anything on these two years (three healthy foals to show for it, and two more on the way this next season).

The mares have been wormed at every interval. I do not skip worming at all for any reason during a mare's pregnancy, not unless my vet indicated it was necessary.

I worm her the day she foals, too. I worm the foal when it's less than a month old.

So far, so good.

Liz M.

Latest posts

Back