Is this wax?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonny

past member - Someone just shoot me!
Reaction score
The last week has been a roller coaster!

Bonny dropped and did a V. :

3-28-095pm005.jpg

Then she undropped and is very full in the flank:

3-30-09930pm001.jpg

And of course she has been very grouchy today when she wasnt laying down.

And today she was pretty adamant about me not touching her udder. When I checked in on her at 930 I saw something in the light so I zoomed in with the camera and found this: Can it be wax?

3-30-09930pm008.jpg

3-30-09930pm014.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe? Very slightly? Anyone else? I'm so excited to see this foal...so hurry up, Bonny!
default_laugh.png

Maybe by morning it will be more obvious what it is. lol. I am not trying to get fluid to check as she tried to bite me earlier and she doesnt need the stress. So all she gets right now is brushes and hugs.lol.

She has been laying down most of the day but when not she has been so grouchy. I feel badly for her she seems weary.

Poor Bonny.
default_sad.png

Hate to say it, but just looks like typical "udder crusties" to me.. Still sticking with April 9th, another week or so, her teats haven't expanded and filled, still flat.. I've foaled out 11-12 foals and have only had one mare wax, was just a small glob on one teat and she foaled a couple hours after that check.. Course I'm sure she hasn't read the foaling book either
default_rolleyes.gif

Thanks Yall, I wasnt sure, I have never seen wax in person and this was shiny when the flash light hit it so I did a dbl take. Grabbed the cam to get a better view, since Bonny has become so touchy.

This is going to be one long week!
default_laugh.png

I've had mares push out what I call "crystals" as they get fuller. Usually the last couple of weeks before foaling. If you catch her waxing it's pretty obvious!! Looks like big globs of candle wax! That said.....I've only seen 3 of my mares wax.

She looks like there is a few more days in her. Her teats need to be more filled and pointing down. I have a mare that gets salt like crystals on her teats when she is close to foaling.

This pic was taken about 5hrs before she foaled. You might be able to make out the salt like crystals

HPIM0299.jpg

Definately not wax. My mare has that stuff too. I think it just clots the tits so milk cannot come out. As for her V belly. From my experience, my mares will get the V shape, then lose it in a day or two. Then they usually foal two weeks after that. One mare foaled exactly 14 days after the V and the other foaled 12 days after the V.

A true waxing looks like just what it says. Like drips of white wax on the tip of the nipples.

I find that most Mini's just do not seem to wax much. In the 10 years of breeding, I have had only 2 mares actually wax. Her shape though shows it will not be too much longer. I have two mares that were like that for over a week. The first one foaled this AM (with no waxing), the other is still waiting.

Thanks for all the information yall!

Bonnys udder was much bigger this am, teats are still not full.

The drops were all gone but one.

I am going to go out in a bit to re check her.

1pm:

Udder still is up like this am.

default_smile.png

Happy April Fools Day Yall!

Bonny Update:

Day 336

Last night her milk went from clear to cloudy.

udder this am bigger than ever:)

4-1-098am004.jpg

4-1-098am003.jpg

4-1-098am002.jpg

WHOO HOO I still have a few more hours for my original guess to be right. Being a maiden her teats might not fill up until right before or right after foaling

Come on Bonny-you have a HUGE audience watching your every drip of milk... LOL

Would it be possible to see a picture of Bonny's bag from the back? I think my mare is at about the same stage but am curious how their bags compare. Pretty colored girl. I look forward to seeing her foal! Good luck!!

Thanks yall for the compliments.
default_smile.png

Bonnys udder has gone down a bit through out the day.

PaintedMeadows:

here is a pic from behind this am when her bag was fuller:

4-1-098am010.jpg

Are you using milk test strips? I'll say that when my two mares foaled, their milk was VERY sticky just before. Felt just like syrup or honey.

Latest posts

Back