is this true?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Molly's Run Minis

Reaction score
is it true that you can't show and breed a stallion at the same time, even if he's very well behaved? i was told this recently and wanted to clarify it.

Of course its not true
default_smile.png
Never say never. MANY can't do both, that's true, but some can handle it just fine.

Nope, not true. Plenty of stallions show and breed during the same season.

Andrea

is it true that you can't show and breed a stallion at the same time, even if he's very well behaved? i was told this recently and wanted to clarify it.

Never had a problem with my boy, he halters and drives at shows right through the breeding season.

He knows that when he has his stud headcollar on that is when he is allowed to be a stallion any other tack he behaves very well.

Never had a problem with my boy, he halters and drives at shows right through the breeding season.

He knows that when he has his stud headcollar on that is when he is allowed to be a stallion any other tack he behaves very well.

what is his stud headcollar?

Not true (as you can see from the above posts).

Our "Alamos Locomotions Escapade" spent time at his trainers (Feb.- April)for driving and attended a show....Came home to breed some girls for about 3 months....Went back to the trainers in late summer to get back into shape and earn another point toward AMHA Worlds. (He qualified for one of his classes in one show, but needed an extra point for another class.) I think he spent a total of three months that season away from home.

He went to Ft. Worth that year and took Reserve Grand Champion Futurity Driving, and Two Top Ten Driving Awards.

I can vouch not true at all. They learn there is a time and place for breeding and anything else is not appropriate. I have always shown mine during breeding season because our shows are only in the spring here.

what is his stud headcollar?
his normal headcollar is just a webbing one, his stud headcollar is leather with a stud chain under the chin. He knows the difference.

Your term Headcollar kind of threw me. Do you mean halter? I Have a regular nylon halter for my stud and I have a nylon halter with a chain added where the nylon chin strap would be.

Definitely depends on the horse. My stallion (see avatar) has been showing since he was 2. He's also been breeding (hand breeding) since he was 2. He knows his manners in the arena and with the exception of sometimes loudly announcing himself when entering the stallion halter class, he knows how to behave in a show. He too has a special lead rope and place at home where we breed.

My old stallion use to have a special bridle/bit for covering as didn't know manners as a youngster! He very quickly learnt and then i was able to do everything else with him as per normal including showing with a well mannered horse.

He even went on to do lead rein riding at home in the middle of summer when he was running with the mares. He is a gelding now and still studdish towards the mares in the fact he'll talk to them.. but ridden by a nervous rider, off lead rein out with girls and an angel, but i do still stick to never putting his old covering bit in his mouth... don't know how he'd behaved but would rather keep the routine he was trained to as a youngster.

With some it is not a problem. Though I had a friend who wanted to show and breed their two year old. I did not think it was a great idea, but they did it anyway. Because he was so young, he became very studdishh and they could not control him in the show ring,.. Before that, he was a sweet boy and rather gentle.

This is something that I had never heard of until recently, it just would never have occurred to us that we should pull a stallion form the gene pool for a year merely to show him, and vice versa.

Our stallions showed under saddle and halter, and often bred a mare when they got home.

I have, without problems, ridden a stallion out with a mare he has just bred.

Basically the rule was "When I ask you to breed a mare in the ring, you can act up. If I ever ask you to breed a mare with a saddle on your back you have reason to complain"

Since I never did, we never had a problem.

I no longer use a different halter (yes, that is a headcollar btw) but I do always breed the mare in the same place, so if the stallion I ma handling comes into a particular part of the yard and there is a mare there, chances are his luck is in.

I do not use chains as I find they can be dangerous if the horse gets his leg over the lead in the heat of the moment, a breeding stallion should not, I feel, need a chain anyway.

Latest posts

Back