Is this something she will get used to or is age related?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlenicker

Reaction score
So I just got my new mini on Sunday...shes only 10 months and very herd bound which I imagine is to be expected. I turn her out daily with my pony who is her only pasture mate and the only horse on the property and they get along well. However she has a complete melt down when I turn Nico out and she has to wait her turn to be turned out then when it comes time to come in I put her in first and bring Nico in second, either way she has a complete fit....They eat lunch and then I revisit the barn and take the little one out for a walk so we can practive leading. She sticks to me like glue but whinnies and wiggles and is only thinking of getting back to my pony. Im teaching her to touch cones, she touches a cone, she gets a treat...Knowing she is only 10 months though, her attention span is so small lol, and I know thats okay. She keeps running into me though so im trying to be firm about keeping her off me even when shes spazzing out doing gentle (because shes so small) but firm quick tugs with the lead rope or saying Hey or No loud and firm. I try and keep her mind busy when we are working and we work on bits of standing still et.. I have lots of experience with horses but none this young...and im just wondering where my expectations should be at this time as far as her being herd bound and at what age she may mature out of this and be able to focus a bit more.

Also she is sooo tiny im having a difficult time doing natural horsemanship with her because he body is sooo quick to move! suggestions?

lol, yes normal but at what age will she have a little more focus when training? And will she begin to get past the herdbound issue as we continue working together or will something eventually click at a certain age? for instance will the herdbound behavior last til age maybe age 2 because shes so young, or will she just start to get better about the more we work together? Im not sure what to expect working with a little one and wether I should be pushing her to get over it when we're working together through corrections or just ignore the behavior and keep working til she comes to realization herself that she is okay away from the pony
default_smile.png
.. With several of my older horses I tought to get over their herd bound issues by leaving them in their stall to have the fit...when they got quiet and got over it then they could go outside, within a week or 2 herdbound issues were long gone and we never had another problem... but I dont think it would be appropriate to do that with a 10 month old...just seems too young. So I was just curious about the timing of things with the babies
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
When we got our first mini as a companion to our big horse (in a separate paddock), Target took on this responsibility himself, but you can do the same. Target would VERY gradually take walks into the pasture when Cowboy (the mini) couldn't see him, and then come right back. He kept doing this, very gradually lengthening the time unil it was no longer an issue as Cowboy knew he would return. Of course this took weeks to accomplsh, but I didn't have to do the work!

Of course your new mini is in a new place so she will want to stick close to your pony. I would take her for short walks where she will be out of sight for only a moment or two and then bring her back within sight. Keep this up, like Target did (unless you can get your pony to do it for you!) until it is no longer an issue. You NEED to do this because there is bound to be a time when they will need to be separated. I did the same thing with trail riding - first trail ride was just down the driveway, then went longer and longer until I could go out for an hour or so (as long as I wanted). I also warn people about this if they are getting a mini for a companion to a big horse. I have two friends who contacted me this winter looking for company for their MINI while they sent their dressage horse to a boarding barn with an indoor arena!

If they both go to the same pasture and you have the time, I would allow the pony out first and make the little one wait a few minutes. Then I would let her out increasing the time as we go. The same with bringing them in. Bring in the pony and let the little one out a few minutes. She will soon get to know that you have not forgotten her. When walking her, I would not yank on the lead. That is just my preference after seeing so much yanking on leads at shows. I would walk her and stop each time she pushed against me or I would keep a very stiff arm between me and her to force her to respect my space. She has bonded with the pony and will need to learn that she will get to see him again. Maybe a short time in a play area without him? One year we had to put two weanling stud colts in a stall together because of lack of room. As soon as we had a free stall, we seperated them. One did just fine. The other stopped eating and appeared very unhappy. I ended up staying in the stall while he ate for a while and shortened the time I was in there and then moved to being outside the stall to not needing to be anywhere around. Some just need more time.

I think alot of it is because she is in a new place and is insecure, as she becomes more comfortable in her new home I believe some of this behavior will stop on its own...this is a big move for a young baby horse, leaving all she has ever known to join your household.

Just keep working with her but intervals of 15 minutes are about all the attention span at this age. Sometimes you can stretch it to 1/2 hr but they lose interest and focus and get tired quickly. Just spend time with her; give her lots of attention and also work on the separation time. She will grow out of it--- if she trusts you and learns to look to you for guidance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back