Is this a true mini

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She has had him for a few years now, she got him for free because the woman before her just wanted him gone. The other owner never messed with him so he was a little out of hand,but his current owner has worked with him alot. She is starting her own farrier business so she can no long keep any of her horses bc she will have no time for them.

She did tell me he has the tendencies of a stud, but that is why I ask the question here since I have never dealt with a horse with this problem or know anyone who has in all the years ive been around horses. I told her I would need a vet to look at him and make that determination if he is sterile or not because we do have a small shetland and mini donkey, both females at the farm he would be out with and we dont need any whoops babies going on.

I appreciate the quick responses back from everyone definitely gave me a lot of great feedback!

Last edited by a moderator:
He definitely needs to be gelded before putting in with other females, even if he's sterile. They can have aggression issues.

Well, being a stallion would sure explain the thick neck!

If you are going to be at Nationals Field-Of-Dreams look me up - I'll have two of his foals there.
default_yes.gif
Unfortunately, not this year...
default_sad.png

Okay, not a horse expert but have friends who have talked themselves into dogs/cats/horses that just are not suitable for them [and in some cases, the animals have been dangerous].

An animal with testicles not dropped is NOT a gelding! The animal in question is "a little out of hand". Surgery to fix a testoterone problem is going to cost you a small fortune. Even if the animal were absolutely free, I would think not once or twice but numerous times about getting this horse.

I just want you to ask yourself "Is this really going to work out?" or am I gonna be one of those people saying "He's a really good horse but he bites once in awhile. Oh, and he's really pushy when you try to feed him. Oh, he kicked at my head once but he would never hurt me. He was just warning me." Because I have a friend who is talking like that about her first horse. She could have been really hurt. The trainer she took that horse to got a broken leg out of trying to help her and that horse. I would not go in the pen with that horse for any reason when I was pet sitting.

You need to consider your safety and the safety of your children and the heart break of trying to get rid of an animal that just isn't suitable before you leap in. If you are still wanting to do that after really thinking it over, so be it.

I hope I don't sound like a know-it-all. I just know that a commitment to an animal is a big commitment and is worthy of taking your time and really thinking it over. I said no to numerous stallions and completely untrained mares since I knew that by being patient I would find a horse that was gelded or a sweet mare that has been handled.

When I acquired my second cryptochid stallion my vet flat out asked if I had "sucker" written on my forehead. Its an expensive surgery and cryptorchid stallions are often harder to handle due to the sometimes higher testosterone levels caused by the testicles being kept warmer in the body cavity. If you cannot afford to immediately have him gelded and kept away from all other horses until he has healed (crypt surgery can be a lengthy recovery period) then do NOT buy this horse! I can assure you he can become a nice happy gelding but I only know this because I've gone through it twice. I would never again try to have a crypt stallion in a boarding facility around other horses, more stress than I want to go through again. If I had the money and facilty I would for sure take on another crypt, since I know many of them end up in poor homes who either do not understand their condition or do not care to spend the money to have it taken care of.

I told her I would need a vet to look at him and make that determination if he is sterile or not because we do have a small shetland and mini donkey, both females at the farm he would be out with and we dont need any whoops babies going on.
If you are looking to move him to a boarding facility, if you were to get him; he IS a stallion, and many boarding facilities will not take stallions, too much liability, regardless of size.

What has turned me off is that she told me he was a gelding and isnt, so someone had informed her wrong, I posed the question to have a vet look at him and no response yet.

If crypt stallions seem to have attitude problems beyond what normal stallions do then I do not want to fool with that. Its ashamed that the original breeder and/or owner never had him gelded when seeing the problem because despite being a little overweight, he is a great color and built nicely.

When it comes to a mare stallion or gelding I am not afraid of taking on any of them and I understand the personalities between all three. I bred thoroughbreds with my parents for many many years and have handled the colts and young stallions we had before they went off to the track (we called them our "homegrowns" and people use to make fun of us till our "home growns" started kicking butts haha
default_smile.png
)

Maybe not minis but I have purchased and retrained horses(mostly track horses) to become whatever they were sutiable (be it an eventer, trail horse, companion etc). But I do have the horse experience under my belt so I donot want you to think I have never owned a horse and I would not put myself or someone else in danger. Granite I did have my few trouble horses along the way so im not saying every horse is perfect haha. My dad taught me from the time I was little "If it has teeth it will bite and if it has hooves it will kick" no matter how sweet the horse is, there is always that possibility of an accident happening.

Now with coming across a crypt, i never had before in my life and never had that problems with our TB colts or even heard that from our breeding friends, thats why i asked the question. I wasnt going to go and get him the same day, I never had with any horse.

But I do appreciate all the feed back people are giving from the costs, explaining the difference and what not it really has helped alot

If you are looking to move him to a boarding facility, if you were to get him; he IS a stallion, and many boarding facilities will not take stallions, too much liability, regardless of size.
The boarding facility now can take stallions..he breeds his own Cremello (sp?) quarter horses so he has some paddocks just for the stud colts etc if I ever decide to get a stallion. Mares and gelding not a problem, he has at least a shetland a mini donkey they can buddy around with
default_smile.png

I posed the question to have a vet look at him and no response yet.
Its up to you if you'd like to have a vet look at him, it'll cost you, not the current owner. If you really like this little guy, it might be worthwhile to have the vet take a look and palpate for his testes and see if they are retained in the body cavity or if he has very small ones or just holds them very tight to his body. At the very least, talk to your vet about it, and get his opinion.

[Not saying its the case, but last year I had a 7 year old gelded, he had tiny ones (like almond size on a 36" horse) that he tended to hold tight to his body. I thought I could feel them, but I wasn't 100% certain, as they were tiny (I think my 2 month old colts currently have bigger ones than the stallion did, well that might be an exaggeration). I took him to the vet clinic to be gelded, and they were very small, but they were through the inguinal ring, so a straight forward gelding proceedure.]

Kudos to you for educating before purchasing! You are likely to be be far happier with your new 'mini' when you have done the research first.

As to those necks....it's in the genetics. If you like the more refined type then just stick with that as you look.

The attached picture is one of our 2012 fillies. She is heading to mature in the 29" to 30" range. Like most of the Star Skipper babies she is refined and has an exceptional neck. The second picture is one of her full brothers. Nice refined 'small' horses.

DSC_9951 web.jpg

C & S DSC_6684 web 2.jpg

Have fun in your search!

Edit to add.....aah, I just read about the 'personality problem'. You have received a lot of good advice, but the bottom line for me would be...there are so many GOOD horses out there, horses with no big issues and in all price ranges, that if I were in your shoes I would keep right on looking.

If you don't get a Mini before Oct 20-21 come to Fairhill International jujst west of Newark,DE.Members of Delmarva Miniature Horse Club will be there(I won't due to knee surgery) and have a booth set up near the Children's area.Members will answer questions and do driving and jumping demonstrations.This is a beautiful facility and a nice outing for equine lovers.Lots of jumping(big horses) and equine vendors.Lots of fun just walking around.Dog agility also,I think.Go on line to Fairhill International to check out everything.Keep us posted on your progress.There are lots of very nice Minis out there at this time for some very reasonable prices.You can probably get something very nice for far less than the price of crypt surgery.I know how hard it is to wait when you have made up your mind you want to do something.I'm the same way.

My sincere advice would be to keep looking.

I have nearly 70 years with horses, so am speaking from extensive experience.

There are now plenty of nice, suitable minis 'out there'; I'd recommend acting on Bev's suggestion, get in contact w/ longtime knowledgeable breeders/mini horse folks, to find what will really work for you w/o all the costs and possible risks of dealing properly w/ a cryptorchid.

Margo

If you don't get a Mini before Oct 20-21 come to Fairhill International jujst west of Newark,DE.Members of Delmarva Miniature Horse Club will be there(I won't due to knee surgery) and have a booth set up near the Children's area.Members will answer questions and do driving and jumping demonstrations.This is a beautiful facility and a nice outing for equine lovers.Lots of jumping(big horses) and equine vendors.Lots of fun just walking around.Dog agility also,I think.Go on line to Fairhill International to check out everything.Keep us posted on your progress.There are lots of very nice Minis out there at this time for some very reasonable prices.You can probably get something very nice for far less than the price of crypt surgery.I know how hard it is to wait when you have made up your mind you want to do something.I'm the same way.
Thank you for letting me know about that! I know exactly where Fair Hill holds there horse events, I use to compete there regularly but I had no idea they had a mini display come in. I work a halloween store seasonally so if I can get out of that long enough I will take a ride up there definitely

Also thank you to the few that have just responded as well. It is ashamed a stallion like him is unwanted due to the complications and costs etc of being a crypt. But I hope someone who is freely wanting to spend that money and even recovery time on him like that to geld him comes along because the temperament he displayed to me was a delightful one in the hour I was there but who knows if that will correct any behavior problems he may have.

Latest posts

Back