Is this a true mini

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniNHF

Reaction score
Ive been just looking around for a "fun" mini to get started with and all just to learn the breed, so nothing really fancy, but I know that alot of people have a misconception of what a true miniature is and a shetland is when they list them for sale.

I had someone send over photos (of course not very good ones) of their "miniature" hes a 9 hand gelding 8yr old cute coloring. But for some reason with looking how thick his neck is, it might not be a miniature, reminds me of the shetlands I use to ride when I was younger. I may be wrong because I am still developing my eye as to what to look for.

Feedback is welcomed, as i said my first mini would be a fun thing, nothing that would be a halter horse on conformation but I want to make sure I get a true mini though and not just a small shetland.

Rocket1.jpg

He is the solid colored one

Rocket2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A mini is any equine under 38" (or 34") regardless of its bone and build.

You will find a lot of misconceptions as to what a Shetland pony is, too
default_smile.png

If he measured under 38" at the last mane hair then he is as "true mini" as anything. Many minis do look like the small "shetlands" that many of us had as kids and since the minis have a lot of the small Shetland breeding behind them that really isn't so surprising.

A mini is any equine under 38" (or 34") regardless of its bone and build.

You will find a lot of misconceptions as to what a Shetland pony is, too
default_smile.png
If he measured under 38" at the last mane hair then he is as "true mini" as anything. Many minis do look like the small "shetlands" that many of us had as kids and since the minis have a lot of the small Shetland breeding behind them that really isn't so surprising.
Okay, that makes sense. I guess im use to seeing all the sleek built ones around. I was just surprised by the thickness of his neck and head thats why I was just wondering. I would of course go check him out before I bought him to make sure his height especially is what they say it is.

And the registered Shetlands of yester-year look nothing like the registered Shetlands of today as evidenced by BlackDraft's, minimore's and my avatar photos.
default_yes.gif
BTW my avatar is both a Shetland and a Miniature - he is ASPC by pedigree and AMHR registered by height.

And the registered Shetlands of yester-year look nothing like the registered Shetlands of today as evidenced by BlackDraft's, minimore's and my avatar photos.
default_yes.gif
BTW my avatar is both a Shetland and a Miniature - he is ASPC by pedigree and AMHR registered by height.
I was actually just scanning the pages provided on BlackDraft's page (very informative) I have to agree with you there, im use to seeing the stocky type working shetlands vs the ones in your avatar. We have a shetland at the barn im at now and she is way to tall to be a mini but she has that classic look vs the new modern look.

The look isn't really all that "new" - here's an example of an American Shetland from the 1880's -

HowardB.jpg

There are many more ponies out there called Shetlands than there really are Shetlands. Shetlands only go up th 46" and have been bred for refinement for 125+ years here in the US. If it doesn't have ASPC papers (or CPS in Canada) it isn't a Shetland, it is just a grade pony being called a Shetland.

And here I have looked at your avatar thinking "nice saddlebred". I would have never guessed he was under 38"! STUNNING fella!

If you are going to be at Nationals Field-Of-Dreams look me up - I'll have two of his foals there.
default_yes.gif

As far as i understand (im fairly new to showing minis and getting them in "show shape" mine used to be fat, now they arent that bad
default_smile.png
) minis store some fat in their necks, which is probably the reason why his neck looks thick. My minis looked like that too, and a friend of ours introduced to us the handy-dandy neck wrap! :D i put this on when i put them to bed and it helps them "sweat it off" It has REALLY made a difference in the apperance of my minis. But, of course its optional, especially if you didnt want to show and just have a cool mini
default_smile.png
people who show, especially halter horse owners, put this on to maintain a skinny neck. But i have a friend i went to school with, and she didnt put a neck wrap on and her mini's neck fat fell over on the sides of the neck, and it looks really weird :/ Okay, im rambling again haha! He is really pretty! Whats his name?

neckwraps.jpg

this is just a pic of a neck wrap on a mini

Ask lots of questions.Is he registered?Why are they getting rid of him?Is this a breeder?Are they a member of any Mini horse clubs,ie Delmarva Miniature Horse Club,AMHA or AMHR? I know many people with Minis in DE,MD&PA.There are some to stay away from and some really nice and honest to deal with.If you e mail me I can tell you if it is someone I know.As with any equine situation it is very easy to get burned.I have had more than my share in 20+years of being in Miniatures.Minis are lots of fun and the most enjoyable equine I have ever owned.I've had lots of breeds of horses and ponies in almost 70 years of having them and the Minis have been the best and the nicest people.I've been to shows and often seen people helping out their stiffest competition.-fixing flat tires,loaning harness, hats,gloves, whips etc.You just don't get much nicer than that.Let us know when you get your first one and please post pictures.

He looks a nice sort from what can been seen in the pictures! Are the children yours? If so then you may want to aim for a slightly more robust build of mini (like him) if the kiddies are going to enjoy a little 'sit on'.
default_yes.gif

He for sure looks qualified for lots of family fun
default_yes.gif
As far as she told me he is not broke to a saddle but their kids have sat on him bareback and rode him that way by being lead, so he seems to have a quiet demeanor

Ask lots of questions.Is he registered?Why are they getting rid of him?Is this a breeder?Are they a member of any Mini horse clubs,ie Delmarva Miniature Horse Club,AMHA or AMHR? I know many people with Minis in DE,MD&PA.There are some to stay away from and some really nice and honest to deal with.If you e mail me I can tell you if it is someone I know.As with any equine situation it is very easy to get burned.I have had more than my share in 20+years of being in Miniatures.Minis are lots of fun and the most enjoyable equine I have ever owned.I've had lots of breeds of horses and ponies in almost 70 years of having them and the Minis have been the best and the nicest people.I've been to shows and often seen people helping out their stiffest competition.-fixing flat tires,loaning harness, hats,gloves, whips etc.You just don't get much nicer than that.Let us know when you get your first one and please post pictures.
Im pretty sure he is not registered and she got him just for the love of minis. The woman is getting rid of all her horses due to she wants to start her own business,she just sold her full grown show horse the other weekend. I am going to look at him tomorrow (sat) only an hour from me which isnt to bad up in PA. The only thing i have to look into is getting a response from the barn im at now to see if they can accomodate a mini if not I found a farm an hour from me in MD that does boarding and specializes in minis and the board is half of what im paying with my horse right now of course since he is bigger. I will bring my camera tomorrow with me and get some more and better shots of him

As far as i understand (im fairly new to showing minis and getting them in "show shape" mine used to be fat, now they arent that bad
default_smile.png
) minis store some fat in their necks, which is probably the reason why his neck looks thick. My minis looked like that too, and a friend of ours introduced to us the handy-dandy neck wrap! :D i put this on when i put them to bed and it helps them "sweat it off" It has REALLY made a difference in the apperance of my minis. But, of course its optional, especially if you didnt want to show and just have a cool mini
default_smile.png
people who show, especially halter horse owners, put this on to maintain a skinny neck. But i have a friend i went to school with, and she didnt put a neck wrap on and her mini's neck fat fell over on the sides of the neck, and it looks really weird :/ Okay, im rambling again haha! He is really pretty! Whats his name?

View attachment 10901

this is just a pic of a neck wrap on a mini
Ah okay i didnt know they had a tendency to store fat in their necks, that may be the case with him. Im sure he is not in tip top shape. I know that they call him Rocket.

He looks a nice sort from what can been seen in the pictures! Are the children yours? If so then you may want to aim for a slightly more robust build of mini (like him) if the kiddies are going to enjoy a little 'sit on'.
default_yes.gif
And no not my kids haha my child is 1500 pounds and 26 years old and eats like a horse ;)

Went to see the mini today and he was adorable and had a very sweet disposition but I found out he is gelding BUT he still has all his stallion parts they just never dropped (he is 8yrs old). Now my question is, is he still technically a stallion? I dont want to make a mistake by putting him out with mares then oops one of them is pregnant.

Went to see the mini today and he was adorable and had a very sweet disposition but I found out he is gelding BUT he still has all his stallion parts they just never dropped (he is 8yrs old). Now my question is, is he still technically a stallion? I dont want to make a mistake by putting him out with mares then oops one of them is pregnant.
If he still has testicles, no matter where they are (descended or not), he is still a stallion and can get mares pregnant. I don't have any experience with crypts though, so I can't help you much there
default_smile.png

If he never dropped, he is still a stallion, and capable of getting a mare pregnant; to get him gelded will require a more indepth surgery (also more expensive).

If he has testicles he is a stallion even if they haven't descended. If he is a full crypt he should be sterile--body temperature is too high for sperm to live. If he has one descended and one not then he will have viable sperm.

Either way he will have stallion tendencies -- more interest in other horses, more aggressiveness around other horses (not that all stallions are aggressive but being a stallion definitely makes it more likely)--he will be mounting and breeding your mare when she comes in heat even if he cannot impregnate her.

You can have crypt surgery to geld him but it may be a lot more expensive. Here we pay $70 for a regular gelding surgery and $400+ for crypt surgery. Another clinic charges

$1200 for crypt surgery. People in other areas have said they pay $200-350 for regular gelding surgery and $2000 or more for crypt surgery.

From your reply I'm sensing some red flags.Doesn't seem like this person has much knowledge about what she is selling.Makes me question what else might be also going on.Maybe it's just because I've been burned more than once when buying horses.As previous posters have said crypt surgery is VERY expensive here in our area.This Mini is still a stallion with undescended testicles.He may be quiet now, but he still has all those hormones which will eventually suface and you won't know when.

Latest posts

Back