Is this a common problem?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mistyrose

Reaction score
I received an email from Europe regarding some of my horses with a @yahoo.com address. When I try to reply it comes back saying there is no account under that name @yahoo.com. I know the address is correct since I hit reply to. How would you send an email from yahoo if you didn't have an account with them? Weird

Watch out with that one - I had a similar experience last year - with a yahoo account/address from an overseas buyer. Turned out it was a scam and they faked the address (people are so smart these days - anything is possible). Yahoo customer service actually told me that they had fabricated the yahoo email address and no such person or account holder.

This particular scam went all the way through with sending me a fake check via overnight priority for much more than the cost. I knew right away it was a fraud/scam so I reported them - then they reported me (guess I made them mad when they got shut down) so yahoo shut me down for weeks (my website is through yahoo)! Yahoo explained that any suspicions or reports of fraud are taken serious so I had to plead my case with Yahoo and provide all the evidence (email communications, check info etc) on the other party to get back up and running. It was a mess!

This overseas party - was not even overseas! They had gone as far as to send me shipping info - the had gone to a website and picked out a name and everything to provide me - I called the company and they had not heard of this woman and the name of the person provided was a boxcar driver in England and had no authority to schedule shipping - etc - it goes on and on. I'm wary all the time now! LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like I would NOT report them then.........since the innocent is the one being punished.

Wow, that is sad and I bet they apologized to you afterwards too. How does an apology help or compensate you for your loss of no website/sales for months on end?

B

oh you're right about that - I will never report anyone again - I thought I was protecting the rest of us from such a scam but that backfired LOL LOL Now I just delete or don't reply to those I"m suspicious of. LOL Not worth the hassle.

yahoo credited me - or didn't charge me - for the two months they shut my website and email down. LOL

I received an email from Europe regarding some of my horses with a @yahoo.com address. When I try to reply it comes back saying there is no account under that name @yahoo.com. I know the address is correct since I hit reply to. How would you send an email from yahoo if you didn't have an account with them? Weird
Well, there are a couple of possibilities. One is "spoofing", the other is perhaps they deleted/changed their account. Depending on how long you had the email, I'd think it was just a spoof.

You can try looking in the email headers to see if there's anything there. If you don't spot an email, I wouldn't bother.

Mom always used to tell me "If it's important, they'll call back!" ;)

Most times you can tell the typical scam... they want a riding horse but are responding to a Mini foal ad. Bad grammer, puntuation, not good English in general. Capital letters where they dont belong, etc... Also, they dont ask any REAL questions about the horse. And someone else is usually going to arrange for travel.

I dont usually respond.. just report them. That way they dont really know WHO might have reported them. Unfortunately they just sign up for multiple other email addies and keep sending their scam stuff to hundreds of folks.

Speaking of scams, hey, I never got my expense paid trip to Disneyland from the ones who were wanting my Mini foal as a riding horse in a big California barn and would pay my trip to even come and visit it!

Latest posts

Back