Is There Anything To Prevent Ice Build Up In Feet?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indy's mom

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone uses anything in or on the hooves to prevent those darn ice balls from building up and making the poor babies walk on stilts? I've heard of globbing vasaline in the hoof or spraying a non stick cooking spray in them. Anyone try anything that's safe and works?

Thanks

Tammy

I've noticed that if they have been reciently or need to be trimmed, no more ice balls! This may help for you too.

I have used Pam cooking spray and plain grease but only when driving and the snow is packing.

When I was a kid I was told clear spray paint. I have never tried it but one would think that you have a very long dry time with that one. We never used anything in our riding horses in Utah. I don't see it as a problem with the minis.

I have this problem as well.

I use Pam cooking spray.

For me, it has never worked great, but it works well for a day or so.

When we raced Standardbreds we alway used WD 40 on muddy race days to keep the mud from packing in the hooves during a race.

Any type of grease product would work, but we've never found anything that has a lasting affect.

Other than applying something to their hooves each day, not sure if there is anything else on the market.

Latest posts

Back