Is there any type of Fencing that is SAFE for Miniatures?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh Julie,

I am so sorry and I hope your boy recovers soon. We don't use any kind of mesh or panel here at all - had an accident many years ago that wasn't anything as horrible as what you are going thru, but scared the beejezus out of me. We have our perimeter done with all electric at about 6" intervals that goes to 5 ft. All the interior fencing and the fencing that is visible is wooden 3 rail with a hot wire between the rails - we have had no problems with this system but it is labor intensive with needing to repaint and replace rails as they age.

Stacy

The farrier was here this morning, made a shoe out of 2, 2 degree wedge pads glued together, duct taped on... He is on Ulcerguard, electrolyte paste, banamine and we are giving wet mash. Dr. Master said that with the amt of pain he is in impaction colic is common and he has not been pooping enough. Only 2 x in the past 20 hours. Doing what I can. He tries to paw, but then it hurts, so he gets even more mad and lays down and sleeps.

If I have to work 24...7... I will, to get things secure.

Thanks for the suggestions. Any more would be appreciated.

That is terrible! I'm so sorry! We've always used wire mesh field fence. As did my parent's before me on all types of livestock. (Multi use woven field fence). They still can get caught up in it if they are young and foolish, or don't tie well. The holes are larger so they can usually struggle free. Then again, foals do break all the rules.
default_sad.png

I'm sorry to hear that your boy is in so much pain. Poor fellow, I hope he will start to improve soon!

Since I've known horses to get hurt on just about every sort of fence imaginable, we've chosen to not use many of the most popular kinds. I don't care for high tensile--if a horse does hit it he can be seriously injured (right down to broken legs or whatever) or he can get caught in it & if not rescued immediately, with the current still zapping him it can have a very bad outcome for him. I don't care for the metal panels because a horse can get his leg threaded through the bars, and with cattle panels a horse can get hung up. We do have a few cattle panels but not many. We do use field fence around our pastures. The horses aren't much into bothering with it when they're out on pasture, though they do use it for scratching their backsides on! It's not safe around corrals, when horses are in a smaller area, that's when I've found they are more likely to get a leg through the wire (have had it around some corrals for a time, then got rid of it for that reason. I have one metal gate, and it has a 2x4 across the top of it so that a horse cannot rear up & come down with a leg between the gate and the post. My preference is for rail fences. We use 3 rails on our corrals and that generally works well. The fence is high enough the horses don't go over it and the 3 rails are close enough that the horses can't go between them. The rails are sturdy enough that the horses aren't likely to break them. We do have some plank fences but I don't like them as well--for the Minis the bull rails (rough 2x6's) work well, but the lighter fences (2x4 or ordinary 2x6) can be broken, and broken planks tend to splinter and have jagged breaks. Really we have nothing fancy for fencing, but we haven't had fence related injuries so our fences have been working for us.

I'm sorry to hear that your boy is in so much pain. Poor fellow, I hope he will start to improve soon!

I have been there many times with impaction colic.almost lost my mare last fall.Now I have the solution. Most horses love molasses so I make molasses soup.Just put about 2 tablespoons molasses in 2 cups of warm water.Horse will drink it we hope.Try adding more water and less molasses until you find the right mixture for your horse.My mare now drinks about 12 cups of water with 1 teaspoon molasses 2 times daily.Water intake will ward off impaction.So sorry about your boy.Hope he feels better

Since I've known horses to get hurt on just about every sort of fence imaginable, we've chosen to not use many of the most popular kinds. I don't care for high tensile--if a horse does hit it he can be seriously injured (right down to broken legs or whatever) or he can get caught in it & if not rescued immediately, with the current still zapping him it can have a very bad outcome for him. I don't care for the metal panels because a horse can get his leg threaded through the bars, and with cattle panels a horse can get hung up. We do have a few cattle panels but not many. We do use field fence around our pastures. The horses aren't much into bothering with it when they're out on pasture, though they do use it for scratching their backsides on! It's not safe around corrals, when horses are in a smaller area, that's when I've found they are more likely to get a leg through the wire (have had it around some corrals for a time, then got rid of it for that reason. I have one metal gate, and it has a 2x4 across the top of it so that a horse cannot rear up & come down with a leg between the gate and the post. My preference is for rail fences. We use 3 rails on our corrals and that generally works well. The fence is high enough the horses don't go over it and the 3 rails are close enough that the horses can't go between them. The rails are sturdy enough that the horses aren't likely to break them. We do have some plank fences but I don't like them as well--for the Minis the bull rails (rough 2x6's) work well, but the lighter fences (2x4 or ordinary 2x6) can be broken, and broken planks tend to splinter and have jagged breaks. Really we have nothing fancy for fencing, but we haven't had fence related injuries so our fences have been working for us.

So sorry to hear about the trouble. We use electro braid fencing. Held by 6 inch posts drove 2ft in the ground. No problems! Infact Electro braid, installed properly with the required box is a warrantied fence and if a horse gets through or is injured they pay all vet bills under $5000. It was well worth what we paid. We have had minis in that fence 10 years. No trouble. We also use corral panels, also very safe.

My god that fence looks like you are keeping King Kong in there. Is this typical for stallions? confined.
wacko.gif
I just have mares. This is more to keep the predators out and the hot wire inside keeps the horses off the fence.
default_yes.gif

I am SO sorry to hear of your accidents with the fencing Julie!
default_sad.png

I have never used any type of woven fence, for that very reason.

I use the 48 inch no climb horse fencing (2x4 squares)too, as some others have posted. I also use a strand of electric fence about 2' off the ground to keep the minis from rubbing the fence during shedding season, and another strand of electric at the top to keep my POA off. Works great!

Good morning Julie

How is your little stallion doing today? I am hoping for a good report. You hang in there.

Beth

so sorry to hear about your troubles
sad.gif
. i myself lost a filly when she went through the hot tape into the road. she was hit by a car while running down the yellow line at full speed
no.gif
. she always loved to run
sad.gif
. we are now useing horse sized pannels. the spaces are large enough so they can't easily get caught in the spaces yet they cant get out. it works really well and it looks nice too
yes.gif

We also use the no climb fence along with the hot wire tape on the inside to keep them off of the fence.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. We have several different types of fences here. The Diamond Mesh was installed when we just had big horses. We now put 2x4 no climb horse fence between paddocks. But... to refence everything is just not possible right now, so will probably go with electro braid or another type of electric to keep the horses off the fence.

Our stallion will have a long road ahead of him. Right now he spends most of his time laying flat out. The vet is happy about that, says the more he lays the better. He has a little shoe made from 2 2deg wedge pads glued together to keep him from extending his suspensory. We have used duct tape to attach it to his hoof. He is still dangling his leg most of the time, only touching it to the ground at times. We are going to remove his little cast and redress his wounds and will probably take the shoe off tomorrow and see if it is causing him more pain from the extra weight. Doc said that he may not be able to handle the extra weight on his foot right now. He is on something for the pain and swelling, on Ulcer Guard and electrolytes. Eating and drinking ok..

I feel so badly about this...he is such a sweet boy, it has me down :eek:(

I was glad to bring a lady friend in to see him yesterday and that worked very well. It sure brightened him up. He was very quiet with her and did not prance or anything... just such a smart boy. He protected his leg.

I had a 15.2 hand Standardbred mare that would get through a chain link fence that was to the ground to get in with a stud she liked. We found out that she would lay down and skooch against the fence until she could get into his run. The stud owner watched one day because they were accusing me of putting this mare in with her stud. There was a hot wire about 30" off the ground. That is why they were saying I was putting my mare with their stud. No, there is no perfect fence.

Latest posts

Back