Is there any type of Fencing that is SAFE for Miniatures?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julie/Azariah

Reaction score
I have had horses on my property for more than 15 years and miniatures for 5 years or so. I have NEVER had issues like this before.

Our fences were all professionally installed.

In the past several months I have had horses go under the fence that is diamond mesh and horse fence only inches from the ground.

The beginning of April we lost a colt to a 2" (NOT exaggerating) space between a gate and post.

Today... our lovely stallion Zeus got a leg through the diamond mesh fence, fought and ended up on the other side, in the struggle to free his leg he fractured his leg at the fetlock joint, an avulsion fracture where the suspensory attaches to sesamoid bones. The ligament held stronger than the bone and pulled some bone off with it. He is in a cast, and has a shock boot on his other foot because he is not bearing weight at all and pounding the good foot.

The pain meds are not working too well... or... I guess I would hate to see him if he didn't have pain meds. He also has been sedated lightly.

He is in his stall and I am watching him on the monitor. He is so uncomfortable he doesn't know what to do with himself. Thank goodness he has figured out how to lay down and get up.

He is eating but I am concerned he will colic with all of the pain.

I will be making changes to our fences this week. But not even sure what to do. I think our best choice might be to use electric fence...but that is hard because we have so many gates.

Does anyone have any suggestions on SAFE fencing for Minis???

I have properly stretched Woven field fence and hot wire. Hot wire works really good at keeping the horses off the fence.

My night pasture was put up to keep cougars,bobcat and bears out, so a person doesn't need to have it 8' tall. It wasn't quite finished at this point but will give you an idea of what I have.

P8303163.jpg

Honestly do not think there is a perfect fence out there, short of having a solid padded wall. Sorry to hear you have has those problems.
default_sad.png

For hot wire and gates, you can either go under with special insulated wire or go over like this.. you can see the gate handle so I can take it down when needed but it is high enough for any one to walk under. My DH can drive the tractor under it without having an issue.

gate.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My god that fence looks like you are keeping King Kong in there. Is this typical for stallions? I dont have a stallion obviously, and my horses could get under my fence if they wanted , as its just 2 cables about 2 feet apart. I do give them a lot of turnout, a huge space to run in everyday, so i guess there is no need to try to escape. I am very sorry to hear the news about your stallion. I hope he recovers , and manages his pain. poor little guy. I guess stallions have to live alone, so there is always a desire to get to the other horses. I dont have the nerve to deal with a stallion, you breeders are admired by me . ( the responsible ones) If I were in your shoes i think I would be digging about 2 feet below , and set the fencing into the ground, maybe add a little cement. But I dont know if that would really work. the other suggestion is wood around the bottom of his paddak like 2 feet high with the wire fencing attached to the top half, and make his area smaller. Then work the H** L ( well thats a little strong) out of him to tire him out everyday. good luck. I turn my horses out into an acre lot ( there is not very much grass in it ) everyday, thank god they dont try to get out, but my new horse is definatly a fence tester when confined.
wacko.gif

I'm no help with the fencing, I think horses can manage to hurt themselves on just about anything but I hope your stallion recovers well. Lots of good thoughts that he is more comfortable soon.

There isn't really a horse safe fence - hot wire they can get through and I would only use that as interior fencing or to keep them off the fence line. Hot wire to keep them off the fencing as Shari showed would be ideal IMHO. Beautiful fence Shari!

We've had leg injuries on woven wire field fence, cattle panels, chain link, and 2x4" welded wire fencing.

Two of the more severe injuries were two days apart - the vets and I had to laugh as it was so awful. One spiral cut his leg from above the hock (exposed the hock joint) down to above his fetlock. The other was similar but not as bad. 6 weeks of daily bandage changes, lots of meds/vet checks on the first one.

As the vets said, horses if they were in a padded stall would swallow their tongues! They just seem to find ways to cause injuries.

Sorry about your stallion - hope he'll be okay. Are you giving him something for his stomach? Probiotics and/or Immune support?

When we first started years ago we started with the woven wire. It was a disaster much like what you are talking about. When we moved we went to all electric rope. Never had problems since. They very much respect an electric fence. We never have trouble now that we use this.

Heres Feature in the pasture

pastureshetler.jpg

Wow Julie, sorry you are having such trouble. It does seem like horses can get hurt just about any way they can.

We use Safe Fence or a like product. It is electric woven tape fence and for the most part they respect it. The big horses have NEVER gone through it, but the minis will from time to time in the winter with those heavy coats. We have used this fence for years with no injuries. Escapees just tend to hang with the others and don't leave the property and the consistent escapees now live in a board fenced paddock until their heavy hair is gone.

Even if a horse gets idiotic and runs through the fence, it will come down so they don't get hurt. If they actually tear it, you can tie a new piece in with knots (quick, but ugly fix) until replacing the strand or putting in a pretty splice.

He had a rough night, but he is laying down and sleeping a lot. It wears him out to hobble on 3 legs. I will start him on UlcerGuard this morning, and get some probiotics for him or stomach soother. He is starting to put it down to the ground and hop on it. Before was just holding it up dangling.

The vets are concerned that they didn't find everything because of the extreme amount of pain he is in.

My thoughts last night (all night as I sat and watched him on the monitor) were that hot wire will have to be the answer. Just keeping them away from the fence I guess. I may make several Stronger paddocks for the stallions... but I am not sure what to use.

I am so careful to have everything safe around here. I think I NEED THE ULCERGUARD!!!

I am really sorry to hear about your stallion's injury and hope he fully recovers. But I tend to agree that these guys will find ways to get hurt, no matter how safe you think things are. We have a combination of woven wire (2"X4") and flexible vinyl where it can be seen from the road. Of course when we built the fence we were building for our 15H big horse so we had to modify when the foal jumped between the vinyl rails the first day he was out. We just bought some plastic deer fencing (1" mesh) and tacked it to the inside so nothing can get through. We cut off any sharp ends.

I also will add that I think a calm temperament helps - or maybe we have just been lucky. We had a weanling filly get very badly caught in her stall - almost hung herself - but she didn't struggle and waited for me to get her out. And our stallion seems to like to get his front leg caught in his feed bucket, no matter how high it is, but again, he will calmly wait for me to remove it.

Oh Julie, I am so sorry to hear of your loss and your boys injury. It makes me sick to think that sometimes we try to do everything right and we still have things go so drastically wrong.

I know its not for everyone, but we use electric fence here. It is a combo of high strength wire and some strands of the electric rope for visual purposes. I do tend to go overboard with the wire/rope, using as many as 5 strands. There is no more than 10 inches between strands and it starts low to the ground. The only problem we ever had in over 25 years with the fencing was when we had BH's and it was an injury with the post, not the wire, and was minimal at that.

Once again, I am so sorry to heaar about this Julie. I am praying that your boys condition starts to head in the right direction.

I am very sorry to hear about your horses. I have used different types of fencing too and especially that diamond wire you are talking about on paddocks are NOT FOR SMALL horses. They get their legs in it and cannot get them out. I have also had trouble with the smaller squares of cattle panes the 4 x 4. Those are hard for them to get out of too if they roll and get caught in it, or rear or back kick. Field wire is the best, and I have used bared wire, rolled wire. They tend to a appreciate the barbed and rolled wire better but the horses will but their heads through it to eat and rub their manes off.

I am using electric wire fencing now to keep horses off the fence and it works! The only place I have a problem and that is with stallions flirting with mares on the other side of the fence is where the gate is (10') they want to scream and rear up on it, the wire runs underneath on that one.

Good luck with your fences and I hope your stallion recovers. I have a little one here whose momma stepped on him who is horrible pain with his leg. He improves each day though, but hard to bandage him too cause he picks and eats it off - he walks on three legs.

I'm sorry about your colt, what a shame - you just never know and just cannot ever do enough for these little guys. Again I hope your stallion recovers.

Beth

I am so sorry to hear about your horses. They seem to find a way no matter what one does.

I have PVC fencing that is lined with cattle panels on the outside of the fencing. Each paddock area is done that way. All of my gates are the new ones that are out which are mesh wired so that horses can not poke their heads through and lift up gates. Each gate is tied down too so they can not be lifted off, but ties can be removed when gates need to be taken off for plowing.

My pastures are 6 strand high tension wire where every other strand is hot, starting with the bottom strand. They all learn to respect the hot fence and stay away. When I had less than 6 strands, they would find the area between the wires where they could graze and not get zapped. Now they can not.

I find that the horse mesh wire can change shape and easily catch a Minis foot. I stay away from that kind of fencing as when a hoof goes through, the shape of the fence will change with the horses fighting and capture the hoof and not let go. This fencing was ment for large horses who can not get a hoof through.

We use 4 ft none climb horse fence the heavy duty square type and cattle panels too and stockade fencing but I will not use the chain link or diamond pattern as they can get hung up easier but it seems that whatever you do if their is a hole or a way that they think they can get thru then they will try. Only once have I had a foal stick his head in the cattle panel and get his head caught scary moment. I keep my bolt cutters in the barn just in case quick and easy to use in a bad moment

I have just regular cattle fencing with bigger squares and never had a issue.

I use Round-Up weed killer all around the pastures to keep them from even being interested in going by the edges.

Works great!

I am so very sorry about the loss of your colt and what you are going through with your stallion. I wish him less pain and a good recovery.

I am so sorry to hear about your horses! I can only imagine how you must feel!
no.gif

We are using 2x4 non climb horse fencing. Also we didn't had any accidents with it, I am always afraid someone could get hurt. I don't thing there is really a 100 % safe fence for our minis.

I hope you little stallion is doing better soon!

Im sorry to hear about your stallion. I think this time of year pretty much no fence is safe- they get so itchy and are always rubbing on everything making even the best fencing a possible danger.

Wow, hope your stallion is doing better. I agree that horses will find a way to get hurt. Some are more prone to that than others. For instance my gelding and stallion have been dry lotted next to each other for 6 years. This spring they decided to "play" with each other thru the pipe gate ruining both halters. So I removed the halters and the next step was for my stallion to get a hold on the gelding's lower lip and put a nice big slice in it. I now have an electric fence running around the outside of the dry lots so when one horse is "out" in the pasture they cannot get back to the dry lots. Sucks if it rains - my boys don't like to get wet.

My mare is always into things. I left a gate partially closed and she poked her head thru and got tangled on it nearly bringing the whole dry lot fence down. Next she put he head thru the 12' gate and lifted it off the hinges....and I wonder why she needs a chiropractor so often!

I too use Red Brand ( i believe it is) 48 inch no climb horse fencing(2x4 squares) . In my opinion I was very glad we made this purchase(investment!). It holds up very well and no problems(knock on wood
smile.gif
) and let me tell you they lean on it.... lean on it then drop to a roll to scratch and no problems...do i wish they would use their sweeper brush all the time...yes .. but no problems

i pray for your stallion's comfort and recovery
pray.gif

Nope, I have come to the conclusion that there is no totally safe fencing.... they will find a way to get in trouble no matter what!! I am SO SORRY and hope your horse recovers ok.

Some friends had the v mesh wire and one of their stallions ripped a hind leg in it to the bone all the way down the front of the bottom of his leg. He did make it ok and it healed well for what it looked like! It was bad.

I have used electric fencing in the past too with great success. I just used the small wire, not the tape. The wire is easier to mend, almost invisible (but they know it's there!) I am removing all my hog wire and replacing it with 9 gauge chain link. It is heavy but extremely sturdy. Another farm I know has had it for years without any incidents, but you know, if they are going to find a way.... they do!!

I NEVER recommend barbed wire for horse fencing- have seen some absolutely horrible results of that too many times with the horses on the ranch. I even have a few of my own scars from the nasty stuff!!

I do hope your little guy improves- please keep us posted and so sorry this happened!

Latest posts

Back