Is there a colt out there that is too good to geld?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pwest2u2

Reaction score
I was able to buy a wonderful yearling colt that has out standing blood lines with all full siblings being champions and so is his sire and he has a very impressive herd name. Ihad some one out the other day and they saw him and I told them he was going to be gelded in the fall and they said "OH NO you can't geld that colt he is too nice" But I don't breed, my plans are to geld him. I would be just a back yard breeder if I did breed him. It seems like eveyone that owns a mini needs to breed them. But in your opinion is there a colt that shouldn't be gelded? I love my little man and he will be one heck of a gelding, but I see so many colts being offered as good stud material, it makes me wonder, how can there be so many great studs. Don't know if this makes since, but just trying to find out others opinions on the matter.

Just had to add, I am going to geld him no questions asked, but was just wondering what others felt on the matter. I love my geldings and I know they are so much happier out in the herd instead of locked up like a stud usually has to be. Thanks everyone for your opinion.

I didn't mean to offend back yard breeders, it is just something I don't plan on doing. Eveyone breeds for there own reasons,

Patty

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, none too good to geld. Sometimes I think it's a shame to geld a grand national champ with national champ offspring but that doesn't happen often.

None too good to geld.

Andrea

IMO, MOST stallions out there should be gelded.
default_wink.png
:

There is no horse too good to geld. A nice stallion will always make a better gelding IMO

Plus, he will live a happier life. Stallions usually cant be kept out with eachother, and are often kept away from other horses. Horses are a pack animal, so being alone usually depresses them. Plus, if you have no plans on breeding him he will probably become quite frustrated.

This is a good time to repeat a story I've told before........

This was probably 15 years ago now - when we met a retiring horse vet........we asked him if he ever regretted gelding any stallion he'd done.

He told us that he figured he'd gelded a few thousand stallions over the years and looking back he could only think of a couple that he felt hesitant in gelding.

That really stuck in my brain........

MA

You know, the bottom line is, he is your colt and you want to geld him; that is all that matters. If you want him as a gelding, that is your right whether someone else would leave him intact or not. If he is really, really good then you might be able to clean up in the gelding classes, but don't count on it. I've seen pictures of some of the geldings out there, and they are really nice these days!

To answer your question, no, in my humble opinon there are no colts too good to geld and I've gelded a few of mine and owned many geldings over the years that were wonderful horses.

As Jayne said so well, he's your colt, do what you want, not what others think you should do. The bottom line is that you enjoy him and take good care of him.

I would be just a back yard breeder if I did breed him.

What's wrong with that? I may fall into the catagory of a backyard breeder because

there's no showing here but my horses have a pretty darn good life

in my back yard.
default_yes.gif
:

Best wishes for many happy years ahead with your colt.

No, I do not think there is any horse too good to geld! I've gelded a couple and the vet has teased me "are you sure you want to geld him?" (knowing of course I'm sure, or he wouldn't be at my farm). One of my most striking geldings is a straight, correct and gorgeous golden palomino son of Ima Boones Little Buckeroo Too ("BTU"). I feel most of my geldings honestly are better than most people's breeding stallions, but so what? Are those geldings nice enough to sire foals? Yeah. Are they better than the two I kept as stallons? No. And most importantly, I enjoy them more as geldings and that is what it's all about
default_yes.gif
:

See all my beloved Geldings here: Whinny For Me Farm's Geldings

I don't think there is a horse to good to geld. If you are not going to bred, than why put up with a stallion's possible attitude? Why let him get all worked up and not be able to do anything about it, not really nice, IMO.

I have gelded several miniature colts, and there has only been 1 that I sometimes think to myself, did I do the right thing? Even my dad asked as I was putting Toy on the trailer to take to the vet, are you sure? And I was and I am 99% of the time glad that I did gelded him. He has a life now, he has friends he can play with and not a bred mare to hang around with for company, he isn't acting goofy (if you know what I mean) and most of all HE seems a lot happier too.

PLUS, if you want to show, you better have a nice gelding as I think the gelding competition is just as tough as the mare and stallion classes.

Nope and if they came to my house they would be gelded. I love my geldings.

I remember the gelding that was our first national champion. A friend said "shame, he would have been a nice stallion" I answered her by saying "yeah, but he sure is an awsome gelding" I geld many stallions--and show many geldings. Have done well with them too. I think there is too much emphysis on stallions. yes, good individuals are important, but geldings are great pets for people not wanting to breed or with kids that want to show. Also, 4 or 5 beautiful stallions in my barn are about 6 too many. I currently have 5 little boys that will be gelded as soon as the little 'jewels' can be found :bgrin

Nope, none are too good. That said, I have a yearling colt that I will not geld anytime soon as I hope he'll be my future herd sire. I also have a 2 yr old stallion with an impressive pedigree, beautiful conformation, and as far as stallions go, is pretty easy to handle. BUT, I don't like his behavior (not aggressive, just purposely rowdy) and because of this, he is a handle to show.....so, he may find himself gelded if he pushes the right button long enough!
default_wink.png
: He also breed his first mare this season, so I would like to see how he produces before I haul his happy butt to the vet!

after gelding yet another horse a month ago my farrier said "is there anything you wont geld?" to which I said NO. I have still never sold an intact colt with my name on it
default_smile.png
they are all geldings. Granted we luckily have had more fillies born here then colts but the 4 with my name are all geldings. I had one come very close to being what I call a stallion but then he just barely missed the mark so hes a happy gelding. If im going to put my farm name on it and call it a stallion it better be nicer then his sire and absolutely outstanding. Probably the one I got the most shock about was gelding jet. People were pretty shocked over that one but he is such an awesome gelding i have never regretted it for one second.

Baxters Hot and Dandy gelding

dandy42-206x163.jpg

Baxters Code Red gelding

codyextend.JPG

Buckeye WCF Magical Notice geldiing

I have 2 that I am planning on gelding this fall. One is my driving stallion, who should be a fantastic gelding. He's had one foal, and she's nice, but tiny. Sooooo off to the vet he goes!

The other is a colt my hubby bought who is drop dead gorgeous, very well bred, great temperment (as a yearling) and has a pedigree to die for - 33% Buckeroo, plus some others just for spice! But - He's 34 1/2" at a year old. Not what I myself am looking for in a stallion. Hubby is having a fit and says HIS horse isn't getting gelded. Kind of too late after the fact
default_rolleyes.gif
: We'll see.

:aktion033: Thanks everyone for the nice opinions, I didn't know if I would get flamed for asking, "but yes I do plan on gelding him in the fall". He is turned out with the others know and I would hate to see him locked in a paddock being very flustrated! He will be one heck of a gelding I know that.

It just amazes me how many peopel keep studs. I don't feel I have the knowledge or the energy to keep one and really NO reason too, since I don't breed. :eek: Just not my cup of tea and there again takes to much energy and time to raise a foal up right. I love to play with others foals, but then can go home and leave them with all the work. I guess you could call me kind of lazy
default_wink.png
:

Patty

Actually Patti I will call you very smart!! You know what you want, and how you want to do it! Lots of people could learn from you!!!:aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

Back