Is something else going on?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Celia

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]Okay...this is a bit long, but I need help.[/SIZE]

BEAMER

2.5 year old gelding, ~approx. 31inches~

(He lives at my home barn with another mini gelding.)

EXTRA BACKGROUND INFO

In August, within about a 3-week span, he had SEVERE muscle mass loss...we called the vet out as soon as we could (it happened so fast) and he was body condition scored at a 1.5. (Dr. M is a very reputable vet in our area.) We found out that he has equine motor neuron disease. Dr. M has taken blood tests 2 times so far (coming out once more this month for another) and both times he had low Vitamin E, liver DVT, and white blood cell count. He didn't even get his fall shots, because Dr. M said it was not a good idea to test his ailing system. (Not like he's going anywhere, anyways, in this condition.)

He is currently still taking weight builder, SMZ's, Vitamin E, and probyos. He has free choice hay that he gobbles up (at least he still has an appetite, thank goodness), and has about ten ounces of Purina Senior Feed two times daily (so 20oz per day). We have been slowly increasing since September. Dr. M said there was a chance of foundering him, but she said we had to take our chances because the winters here are not exactly a walk in the park.

By November, he had gained about 15 pounds, give or take a few. (The first month, a different vet had come out and I think measured a bit differently.)

He's been improving a lot since then, too, I have yet to go out and measure again--a few weeks ago, he was around 175lbs. However, the vet wants him to ideally build up to 250lbs, give or take a few.

NEW CONCERNS

Its been about 10degrees F the last several days with snow and major wind chills, and, not having an indoor arena, I just take either horse out into the empty garage and walk him/do little obstactle courses at an easy walk just to exercise their minds and get them out of their stalls.

(Beamer has been blanketed, of course.)

Today I was grooming him and I noticed heat in his hoof (right front specifically). He doesn't appear lame at the Walk, at least, but I have yet to go out and trot him (I wanted to post this as soon as I could.)

I don't have an extra hand this minute, so I tried walking him and watching his feet at the same time (not an easy thing to do in either the crammed slippery garage, or outside where the snow comes up to Beamer's hocks
default_doh.gif
lol) So That I'm going to retry when I have an extra hand later tonight.

I did take his temp--it was 100.1 degrees F.

[SIZE=14pt]FIRST QUESTION I HAVE IS: Before I run back out into the frigid blizzard aka the walk to my barn, are there any other things I should check?[/SIZE]

I will go do those things, report back and then my second question will be if you have any thoughts on if I should be worried or if I need to take any action.

THANK YOU. This means a lot to me.

--TheGoldenFilly

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the good background information. CALL THE VET!! If he's at risk for foundering and is now having heat in a specific hoof I would not mess with that for one minute. The sooner you can catch founder, the less damage it will do and the easier the recovery will be.

Sounds like you've been doing good by your boy. Keep it up. Fingers crossed for you that this turns out to be minor.
default_pray.gif

Leia

He says he is uncomfortable in all 4 feet. Get the vet out as soon as you can. If it is as cold there as it is here that will help his feet.Please keep us informed.

Good luck

Bonnie

Agree with calling the vet. If there is any chance of founder, I would take him off the Purina Equine Sr NOW. It has an NSC value of 22% which is way too high for a laminitic horse. Feed soaked grass hay for now. If he needs more calories, soaked, rinsed beet pulp is a good option.

Thank you for replying.

I was able to go out and trot him (though he wanted to buck away like CRAZY at a rodeo canter the whole time)....he looked WAY off on the hind end...though could this be a result of compensating for the front?

I will contact the vet meantime. Thank you again,

--TheGoldenFilly

Yep, the vet came last night, and Beamer was nonresponsive to the hoof testers--thank goodness! But still, Dr. K said that there is definitely some heat in that right front. (Still a bit today, too.) He said it is probably either an abscess he's got to blow out, or a bruise in his hoof wall (he's crazy in turn-out!) so just to keep an eye out to make sure there are no progressing signs of laminitis. If he's not looking any better--or obviously if he's getting worse--by the end of the week, I'll give them another call.

Thank you guys again...you guys saved me from a sleepless night!
default_wacko.png
!!

~C

Don't know about the muscle mass loss but there are a couple of good supplement companies I would talk to if he were mine - Platinum Performance and Gomers Inc. Both make products that impact the immune system and help with a wide range of ills, and I would call and speak with them as opposed to just reading the websites. Secondly.........I'd listen to Bonnie if she says he is uncomfortable in all four feet. Good luck, sounds like you are right on top of it.
default_smile.png

Jan

Latest posts

Back