Is my filly hurt? Need some advice or opinion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clpclop

Reaction score
On Monday afternoon, my 5 month old filly had her halter on and she snagged it on a fence for a few moments. I saw her head jerking back and forth to free herself and she finally got it released after a few seconds. Since then, she holds her head down, isn't her normal playful self and is kind of mopey. She is eating however I'm not sure how much because she doesn't like to lift her head into the feeder. I put some hay on the mat for her and she will eat that. She may be just bruised or sore, but how long should I let it go before I call the vet?

I'm thinking, DON'T WAIT on calling the vet. It *could* be nothing much, but she may be able to benefit from veterinary help, and usually the sooner the better for the horse. Good luck with her!

If a couple days later and she still isnt acting herself personally I would call a vet. Odds are she is just sore and pulled some muscles from struggling with the fence however it is also possible she fractured something

[SIZE=14pt]She may just be stiff but I would call the vet. I have learned from a similar experience to take halters off when horses are out.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Thank you all...I just called my vet and he's coming out tomorrow afternoon. Better safe than sorry.

2 years ago, one of our foals got her head stuck in the fence... We called the vets and found nothing wrong with her they said she must have pulled a muscle. (not saying yours has the same thing) She hung her head down low for a few days. She was a little "slow" not bulting around like a rocket. Shes 2 years old and shes Great! Her name is Bit-o-blue Sweet Gyspy Rose.

Latest posts

Back