Is mare close enough to due date to safely foal?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendyluvsminis

Reaction score
I read that big mares gestation is 340 days on an average, and mini mares are 320. I have a mare expecting her 5th foal, who is due on Aril 29th, using the 320 days from her last day breed. The first time she was bred was 7 days earlier. I've heard that going 2 weeks before and a month after the due date is normal. Well, 2 weeks before would be April 15th, and she is 5 days shy of that. She has a bag like a little dairy cow that needs to be milked. And it is very hard with her teats straight down. This is her second foal for me, and last year, she went to her due date, and wasn't as bagged up as this.I can never feel the softening around their tail just prior, they all seem soft to me all the time! LOL! Is she close enough to her date to foal safely, if she foals very soon? She doesn't want to leave the barn, prefers to spend time in her stall (even though she can go out on her own). We put her under the camera today, but I have been doing every 2 hour checks for two nights. How often should I check the camera at night? It's just a security one, not one that can go on-line. (maybe next year..)We are going to show our stallion (he jumps now!) at Mid-West Horse Fest, and if she doesn't foal by Wednesday afternoon, I fill take her to the vet's for safe keeping. Another of my mares is there and they can keep each other company and spend all my money!!! Better safe than sorry...I think she looks very close...I appreciate all your experienced opinions!

Last edited by a moderator:
If I'm calculating correctly, she should be about 302 days today? If so, she's within the normal time range to foal although a little earlier than I would prefer. Sounds like she could go at anytime. I wouldn't take my eyes off of her.

As far as how often to check the camera, I wouldn't want to leave her unwatched with her udder sounding like she is ready. You might consider investing in a Breeder Alert or Equipage system for the future. I sleep at night unless the beeper goes off.
default_smile.png

Good luck with her and looking forward to seeing new foal pics!

As Becky says above - I wouldn't take my eyes off her for even a minute - she sounds ready to foal at any time!!

Hoping for some good news and pictures shortly!

Anna

We had a normal foal born last year at 305 days. you are lucky you are getting good signs from her this time.

In our experience what they did LAST year has little effect on what they will do THIS year.

Hopefully you have some foal blankets if needed. They are very helpful to have around.

If she doesn't foal by Wednesday evening--we are leaving for Mid-West Horse Fest on Thursday--I think I better send her to the vet's to foal also.

Latest posts

Back