is it just me?...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ab_smf

Reaction score
new_shocked.gif
wacko.gif

well i'm trying to sell a bred "B" mare, off and on...theres nothing wrong with her just too tall for my breeding program. is it me or my bad seller skills? any ideas on how i can sell horses better?

her name is Tib's Duchess

....and......

some of you know i'm planning on getting diva in may...well i'd never heard from her owner for awhile...i need her address to send the 1st montly payment...i got her name and town shes living at, & her phone #...her name is Marlee Nolz, she lives in Kimball, SD...i sent my last email to her on the 3rd of nov., telling her that i got my folks promission to get diva. and i gave her my address to send the contract to me...should i wait longer like to the monday before my surgrey...or remail her...i don't want to bug her...and get her mad...

also...my email address been goofy...off and on too...your opinions please

Well here is my two cents about selling your mare. I would suggest a better picture, one with her head up and not standing in grass. Prospective buyers can't see her legs.Give her a good grooming (I'm not suggesting that you don't, just spiff her up a bit for the picture) Do you have a show halter or can you borrow one, that would look nice.

When you place an ad do you list her accomplishments? Such as does she drive, or jump. What is her temperament like? Does she have any foals on the ground?

Just a few things that catch my interest when I am looking at different ads.

I agree with get a better picture.

To be honest, I don't even consider lookng at a horse unless its nicely set up. I could care less about pedigree, or if the horse has been shown or not.

Cute filly by the way.

thanks for the help.

i do have some of her standing well tied to the gate actualy. but shes in her winter coat.

i just found these picture in my online photo site;

some more...

sorry for the sunlight..i'll try to get some better ones soon

saludando.gif

To get a good photo for selling horses requires 2-3 people minimum, IMO
smile.gif

One for the camera, one to hold the horse and the 3rd to help set up, get the ears up, etc. She's a nice looking mare, but a good photo would do wonders.

Good luck!

Also, when taking photos of miniature horses, standing up and taking the shot makes the horse look dumpy and short legged. Even a really really nice horse can be passed by because the photographer didn't take the time to get down to the horses level. Next time you take photos of her, bend down on your knee and take the shot direct on her body. FOr shorter horses you might even need to get right down onto the ground, and this goes the same for big horses too, the shot needs to be straight on to the body in order to see the true conformation.

Set her up and take the photo as parallel as you can. Try a few different angles after that to see which makes her look better, but most people will want one parallel to the mare, and at her level. Good luck with your new pictures!

[SIZE=14pt]The first one is the sunlight is a beautiful pict for yourself, but it doesn't show her behind. Another photo trick is that taken on an overcast day can give you a more true color and detail, sun washes them out. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]I went back and looked at your first and second, the first is looks to be a truer pict of her, now if the wind wasn't blowing. Here the wind NEVER quits. If it were me, I'd take her back to the corner of you pasture there, the green and open space you have there is beautiful. Frame her up back there and try that on a overcast day. I do have to say, when I worked w/ my 35mm I took much better photos, it seems like when I use the ditigal, too slow. Miss all the good shots.[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Selling horses is HUGE on presentation. Picture taking is a royal pain around here but we muddle through. Rarely can I get a good shot by myself, I don't even try anymore. With the winter just around the corner really "good" photos may have to wait BUT I still would try taking some pics with her winter hair.

The thing that jumps out at me the most is get a halter that fits. Big, clunky halters enlarge the perception of the head (shouldn't have a halter on in the pasture anyways dear, learned that one the hard way as a youth). Get her feet trimmed and bridle path put in (makes a big differnce on what the head looks like) and pick a nice uncluttered spot for pictures. I personally would not use a show halter on a fuzzy horse, they seem to get lost in all the hair. Enlist a buddy to help you take photos. At the very least kneel down when you take photos as it helps keep the horse in perspective. She looks like a nice mare over all but her neck ties in a bit low. When taking photos make sure to try to get her to hold her neck up and out, not just out. (I know, I know easier said then done.)

I hate photo taking (actually I don't mind it but it's such a production that eats away the day) BUT with my horses competing with hunderds of other horses for sale I need my pictures to say "SPEND YOUR MONEY HERE".

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back