Is anyone working on Draft horse looking mini's?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You might want to look into the Fell Pony. I believe that is a 'drafty' type of pony. Not a miniature, but much smaller than a Friesian.
Agreed, and the reason I have a Fell... Fells are much more suitable heighwise to me, I'm only 5' and prefer large ponies haha! Here's my Fell gelding, Harley

harleyadt1110-10-9.jpg

harleyadt2610-10-9.jpg

harleyadt3210-10-9.jpg

harleyshow43-1-9.jpg

harleyshow433-1-9.jpg

But it would be cool to have that in a 34" version ;) (Harley is 13h)

Speedy looks just like a Halflinger!!! Great bone on him!!(excuse my spelling)

Speedy is so cute!!

And Harley is just gorgeous!!

Susan O.

Harley is gorgeous. I know you have great fun with him. I love a horse with heavy feathering and enough bone to get the job done. I'm also short and always felt that you shouldn't have a horse that you couldn't see their back from standing next to them. It's true that there is a horse out there built for everyone. If I were younger and still able to ride I would probably go for either a Fell Pony or a Halflinger. I especially lover their calmer personality.

I also like Speedy and I agree he does look like either a belgium or a halflinger. He is so cute and must look awesome in harness.

Beautiful horses! It's funny. I click to see the pictures of Speedy and end up looking at all 180 lol.

For CDE, there is a balance to be had between heavy and light. You don't want a horse that is so heavy that they overheat or don't have the stamina (and speed) to compete well in the marathon portion. You also need a horse that looks elegant for dressage. My two newest prospects are 35.5" and 36.5" respectively. They have the build to pull a load yet are still both very elegant and beautiful. They also have gorgeous movement, which is an attribute that needs to be considered for any breeding program IMO.

The best CDE competitors I've seen or known were NOT heavy-built horses. Solidly built and very correct, but also refined and beautiful.

I also like Speedy and I agree he does look like either a belgium or a halflinger. He is so cute and must look awesome in harness.
I would like to see what Speedy would do if pushed to really work when hitched. His owner is content to just plod along at a walk or slow trot, and Speedy is more than happy to comply! If you can't tell, he was named in sarcasm, Speedy is not very speedy!

Beautiful horses! It's funny. I click to see the pictures of Speedy and end up looking at all 180 lol.
Too funny, I would have done the same. There is another heavy grey pony in that album, Biscuit. I didn't post him as he is actually 10hh, so not a mini. I also don't consider him drafty, heavy yes, but not what I think of as draft. He looks exactly like a little Lippizaner (sp) when he is fit (which he is not in the pics), and can do some great dressage!

Latest posts

Back